PapaBear completes 4 lists!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
First off - it did not rain today inspite of 5 differant online forecasts all saying it would as of 7:30 AM this morning.

In spite of the forecast we joined PapaBear and his son Peter to hike Mt Carrigan. We started off a little after 9 by heading into the woods across the street from the parking lot (not on the trail) and bushwacked the forst .2 miles in order to avoid the first stream crossing. We came to the trail juction 1.7 miles later and our first stream crossing. Geri and I removed our boots and waded across (damm the water was cold) the over the knee deep water, while PapaBear and Peter kept there boots on as they waded across. another 100 yards we came to another crossing that wasn't as wide, but a little deeper. We came to one other crossing a little bit later but managed to jump across it with the help of a strategically placed log.

We had started the hike in an intermitant mist, but my now the skys had brighten and the mist had dried up. For most of the hike I was in shorts and a short sleeve shirt (a dry shirt!)

This was Peter's 1st 4000 footer so we maintained a casual pace with rest stops in the steeper sections. The trail was wet in many areas, but not as wet as the Webster Jackson trail we did yesterday.

Soon we were at the begining of the ridge, but with the low clouds we could only barely see the outline of the summit. Across the ridge (which had dry rocks) we were back into the woods for the final push to the summit. Just below the summit we found a spring with a wooden base and hole with cover. Although we have been here several times, this was the first time we had seen it. under the cover was a rope with a water jug to use as a bucket.

A few more minutes, a few more rocks, we reached the summit with PapaBear leading the way as he completed not one but 4 hiking lists. Today he completed the New England Hundred Highest, the New England 4000 footers, the New Hampshire 4000 footers, and the 50 Finest.

Congrats PapaBear! It was an honor to be with you today!!

As we returned to the parking lot we saw another car near ours - a few minutes later Albee returned from his hike to Vose Spur - his first Bushwack.

Returning to our trailer in Twin Mountain we saw patches of blue sky, and yes - even the sun!

Congratulations, Richard! Wish I could have been there.......

Now what are you going to do w/o all of those lists to complete? :D

Bear with me!

mcorsar said:
Nice TR
To Papa Bear, let me just say congrats, congrats, congrats, and... congrats. :D

Matt

I guess the four congrats above are in order! And I add mine! Of course, reaching any goal is a reward on it's own, but acknowlegement doesn't hurt!

Fred

Nice job!

Well done, Papa Bear. It was a pleasure to meet you. 40+ years of peakbagging and the lists are finally done. I'm sure it was an emotional trip. You'll have to pick a clear day this winter and start with some magnificent views from Carrigain so you can continue with your winter lists!
...Albee

And I agree with Ivy - I've often relied on your trip reports and it's great to be able to congratulate you on this accomplishment!
:)

#48/48, #67/67, #100/100, #50/ff

In September of 1963 I climbed a mountain with my sister, my brother and 2 friends:

aad.sized.jpg

2 friends, my sister and me on Katahdin - September 1963

Today, a little more than 42 years later, I climbed another mountain with my son and 2 friends:

#48/48, #67/67, #100/100, #50/FF
aax.sized.jpg

Geri, me and my son Peter on Mount Carrigain - October 9, 2005

The journey is the destination. It's been a great journey with many good friends.

But the journey is not over. There are always more mountains to climb and more friends to meet.

Thanks to all - report to follow.

Last edited:
Hey Papabear, that was a touching post & pictures! My warm congrats to you for finishing all the lists. Frodo and I were out today in the Willey Range but we tipped our caps to you.

-Dr. Wu

Great planning to finish four lists on one day! Well done! Must be a hell of a relief. However...Finest Fifty...you gotta go back and find the jar on Grass!! (you just didn't go far enough north).

Huge congrats PB! I know you told us at the last NYC drinks that you were about to do this, but it seemed so amazing that I couldn't tell if you were joking or not! A huge accomplishment! I'm sure whatever you set your sights on next doesn't stand a chance at holding you back.