A different approach to trail clearing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
I hiked a trail I had been on before but was quite shocked at the apparent means to clear the path. It looks like some kind of spray was used for over a mile of the route. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

Oh Oh

Carole, where was this? It might be important to report this to DES in Concord if in NH if it is on public land.

I can't tell from the pictures if that was sprayed or not. Power companies in NH do use herbicides to clear the lines but they must ask permission of the abutting landowners. Around here nobody gives that permission so they machine cut or hand clear.

The trail (and possibly others) were definitely sprayed. This thread confirms it. Someone has been contacted.

I can't tell from the photos but I am wondering if someone found hogweed in the area. It would make sense if that was what was found. This would have been done by USDA or other government agencies.

Hogweed info

Hogweed Fact Sheet

Probably the best pictures and differentials

It is in both NY and ME as well as other locations.

Dangerous plant. Learn how to identify it and stay away from it and let the appropriate authorities know.

Keith

Last edited:
I've seen similar results from spraying of railroad tracks, but never on a hiking trail. A trail on a nearby Corps of Engineers flood control project has been sprayed for poison ivy in the past, but whoever did it was quite selective and did a good job, IMHO.

This was indeed unauthorized spraying and sadly more than one trail was sprayed within the past month. I have hiked the area before and this wasn’t because of invasive species this was someone’s idea of trailwork and unselective treatment at that. What are they thinking? What will be a long term effect? Some trails in the area have been rerouted because of endangered species. Unauthorized herbicide use could have devastating effects.

What can be done about it remains to be seen. But I find it very sad and only hope the person can be identified.

carole said:
This was indeed unauthorized spraying and sadly more than one trail was sprayed within the past month. I have hiked the area before and this wasn’t because of invasive species this was someone’s idea of trailwork and unselective treatment at that. What are they thinking? What will be a long term effect? Some trails in the area have been rerouted because of endangered species. Unauthorized herbicide use could have devastating effects.

What can be done about it remains to be seen. But I find it very sad and only hope the person can be identified.

Am I to assume that you have been told by the powers that be that this was definitely spraying and it was done by an unauthorized person using an unauthorized herbicide/defoliant?

If this is the case hopefully the herbicide/defoliants can be determined as too type and possible health problems that could be associated with it. Also is this near a waterway that could have been contaminated by runoff? It would be nice to find the person(s) but it’s not unrecoverable damage. It doesn't seem like an overly large area though the act itself is to be strongly condemned. I still don’t know where (even what state) we are talking about yet. Can you tell us the forest and maybe the trail name? If not, can you tell us the reason?

Keith

Last edited:
Please read the label .

When used properly triclopyr (chemical name for active ingredent in Garlon) is a perfectly acceptable method of vegetation management. I haven't ever seen it used for trail maintenance either, but it is a very commonly used method for controlling invasive species, which pose a very significant risk to natural plant communities. It adsorbs in soil quite well, rarely leaving the top 30" and has a half-life of less than 45 days.

It is quite possible (pure speculation for argument's sake) that the trail in question was menaced by an invasive exotic and is under management that we can all be thankful for.

Of course, if an unauthorized person or group applied it in an unauthorized way without proper notification procedures then that's another story. Until I hear otherwise I'll assume it was done appropriately.

give us an update when more is learned.

spencer

It would be nice if they had posted the action at either the trailhead, or where the spraying began. Locally a group has taken over a trail for maintenence and has left notes explaining various things they were doing. IMO, a very smart and easy way to get the public's understanding and longterm acquiesence.

spencer said:
Of course, if an unauthorized person or group applied it in an unauthorized way without proper notification procedures then that's another story. Until I hear otherwise I'll assume it was done appropriately.

give us an update when more is learned.

spencer

Hello Spencer,

For all I know they used agent orange and I don't even know who they is.

I understand how Garlon breaks down and I suspect with proper application there is little to worry about but so far I haven't gotten any information that allows me to:

1. Know for sure that this application was done legally or illegally.
2. Where this application was done.
3. What was applied and in what amounts.

This is all very much an unknown to me at this point. I don't even know enough to know if I should care to be honest.

Keith

spencer and SAR-EMT40:

In my first post I linked two pictures to give an example of what I’d seen. I did take several more and they all were sent to “the powers that be”. I posted because I was concerned if others had seen this kind of spraying and what effect it would have. The link to the post regarding Garlon4 provided more information as we (myself and the other poster) discovered we were talking about the same area.

My reply in post #10 was an update - not my supposition - but a fact.
carole said:
This was indeed unauthorized spraying and sadly more than one trail was sprayed within the past month.

If it is important enough to know where send me a PM.