Show us and/or describe what is in your daypack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
To not contaminate the other thread lets post this info here. I really like this pack. Extremely durable like all their equipment. I have a bag of theirs that I also use on the ambulance. I got this bag at a really good price. I have used several other bags before this but I like this best. I don't carry all of this every time I go out but more often than not I do. I will add or swap some stuff sometimes. I do keep this packed and available at all times so when I get a chance to go hiking or have a search I just grab this as this is my base package. A search will add other items.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone must carry this much. I carry it because I like to. You can certainly "survive" with a lot less than this. I personally like carrying the extra weight. It feels good to me during the hike and I am so use to this amount of weight that I don't really know it is even there anymore. The other advantage this bag gives is I can decide I want to stay out overnight and be pretty comfortable. This is a nice option for me. Weight is around 15 pounds depending on what I add it can go up but I don't think it ever goes much over 20. That is with 2 liters of water and food, everything. Considering my camping bag probably starts around 45 and can get to 65 or so in the winter its very light.

OK, so now some of you have had your little laugh. :p Its time to ante up. Like the ad asks “What’s in your wallet” errr daypack? :D

Keith

Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II bag
NWA knife w/firesteel
Becker Brute (knife)
(2) Liter Nalgene bottle
Jpole antenna
2M/440 shorty antenna
Yaesu FT-50 Transceiver

10 4x4 gauze pads
2 Tegederm Dressings
3 days personal meds
Benadryl
Imodium
Optimist first aid kit

1 box Strawberry Jello

Swiss army box compass
Leatherman Wave
Petzl e+lite Headlamp
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline in Film canister
Commercial tinder
Cattail tinder
3 large garbage bags - 45 gallon
Folding stove

Hennessey hammock
Stainless mess kit
Pace count cord
2 powergels
Fox 40 whistle
Lansky sharpener
Swisstech utilikey
2 waterproof capsules
Button backup compass
2 Small bic lighter
Micropur tabs for water purification
50 feet 3 mm line
Secondary Whistle
Altoids container
Wire ties
5 Butterfly bandages
5 bandages
Wet naps
2 alcohol preps
Swiss army knife
Butane lighter

1 day emergency food
1 dinner
2 Handkerchiefs
DEET
Sunblock

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Keith

Last edited:
Nice job, Keith. I assume you have the fuel tabs with the folding stove, or would you make a small wood fire ?
I try to carry a MRE meal, they don't need to be rehydrated or cooked and they freaking last forever at the bottom of the pack.

Instead of listing my equipment, I'll just print your list and revise mine ! :D

Oh, I do also occasionally carry 2 in-date Epipens :eek: but let's not get that discussion resurrected ! ;)

This is the stove. Its actually in that little carrier on the left. That little green and black thing. No fuel tabs needed as it burns wood and heats the little pot very nicely. I ate the MRE's (Meals rejected by Ethiopians :D) in the army though most of the time we had C rations. Just kidding about the MRE's by the way, most are pretty good. The food I carry also can be eaten dry. Very useful if you can't or don't have time to find extra water. Nice to have one to eat if you have the time to heat it though. There are actually 2 days worth of food. The freeze dried in the back there that everyone is familiar with. And in the front there is 1200 calories of food. Those 3 yellow bars. They are a type of survival bar each is 400 calories and made to be digested and absorbed with little or no need for water. Tastes like chicken. :eek: Actually it is a very dense bar that has a lemony flavor and lasts for 10 years supposedly. ;)

KR

51SVVTRS3BL._SS500_.jpg

water, food, some rain crap, small first aid kit, headlamp thats about it.

I am so so tough - I don't need anything else. I can kill bears with my bare hands, eat them and then jump in their body luke skywalker style.

folks need to join packs anonymous

Last edited:
I hiked my local mountain yesterday after work, I just looked at my fanny pack:

Water
Compass
Headlamp
Cliff Bar
Half peanut butter sandwich (Gone now)
Long sleeve shirt
Half roll of toilet paper.

My regular pack for longer hikes has some additional stuff:

2 headlamps
2 compasses
appropriate maps
rain gear
2 pairs of gloves, (I'm cold-hand-o-phobic)
first aid kit
medical tape

I'm a dead man.

Last edited:
Ok, Ill play!

Pack: Kelty Redwing 3200

Contents of pack:
Fleece Jacket
Synthetic long sleeve shirt
Waterproof/windproof jacket and pants
Winter hat
Fleece gloves
Liner Gloves
WMNF tyvex Map set
2 compasses; 1 Silva Polaris and 1 Brunton Classic <--the one I like the better of the two.
Garmin eTrx Legend GPS
2 Headlamps; 1 BD Zenix IQ and 1 Energizer LED as a backup (thanks Arghman ;) !)
Katadyn Hiker model water filter
Waterproof pack cover (which is way to big and sucks and needs replacing soon)
Folding Gerber saw
Toilet paper
Hand Sanitizer (actually I have no idea how it got in there, but I suppose its good to have in conjunction with the T.P. :D )
1 standard issue, plastic, bath model childs toy (i.e. Rubber duckie....yes, believe it or not, the duck is always in the pack.)
First Aid/makeshift survival kit*

*Contained in the kit is the following:
Various sizes of Bandaids
Emergency Gauze pads (3x3)
Emergency Gauze pads (2x2)
Alcohol prep pads
Ace bandage
After Bite anti itch pen
Swiss Army style knife (I believe this one is made by Winchester)
Mole skin
Whistle
Burtds Bee's lip balm
Mangnesium fire starter
Asprin
Survival card set
Bandage tape
Tweezers
Scissors
Antibiotic ointment
Spare batteries for the headlamp and/or GPS
Potable Aqua tablets
1 non standard, "lucky" model coin (courtesy of McRat!)

Not shown, but always there:
Food and 3 liters of water

and in case you dont believe me, here are the pics!:

Brian

In my Kelty ( > 3mi):

Bottle of Aleve
1-2x 100 oz. bladders (2 for 7 mi or more)
Side split knee brace
Patella strap
Ace bandage
Various band aids
Headlamp
Extra cellphone battery
Knife/utilty tool
Sunscreen
Deet
Moolah (like 10 bucks)
2-3 bags of trail mix
Pen/paper
Paper towels
Dry socks

Additional stuff depending upon conditions (additional layers, food, water, etc.)

BorealChickadee said:
SAR- Good post
Now what are the waterproof capsules?

Thanks. Between the lid and the pot you can barely see two red cylinders. Those are them. I usually carry several days personal medications in them. They are waterproof and virtually indestructable and come in different sizes. If you can't see them let me know.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Thanks. Between the lid and the pot you can barely see two red cylinders. Those are them. I usually carry several days personal medications in them. They are waterproof and virtually indestructable and come in different sizes. If you can't see them let me know.
EMS carries 15cc Nalgene bottles. Great for carrying pills etc.

Doug

NewHampshire said:
1 standard issue, plastic, bath model childs toy (i.e. Rubber duckie....yes, believe it or not, the duck is always in the pack.)

Nice looking kit Brian. Gotta know what the rubber duck is for though. Signalling device, good luck charm, last piece of food? Gotta know. :D

Keith

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
EMS carries 15cc Nalgene bottles. Great for carrying pills etc.

Doug

Yep, and also worth having are mini zip locks which I like also. Flatter, lighter and also pretty waterproof. Got like a hundred of them on ebay for a couple of dollars IIRC. With medication I would probably double bag to insure survival from wet conditions. Those anodized aluminum cylinders may eventually hold other things. Got them as a present as I remember. Figured I could use them for something. So far the meds are what I have in them.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Nice looking kit Brian. Gotta know what the rubber duck is for though. Signalling device, good luck charm, last piece of food? Gotta know. :D
If it squeaks, you can use it as a backup for your whistle.

And since it is bright yellow, you can strap it to the top or your pack or hat in hunting season.

Gotta go get me one...

Doug

SAR-EMT40 said:
To not contaminate the other thread lets post this info here. I really like this pack. Extremely durable like all their equipment. I have a bag of theirs that I also use on the ambulance. I got this bag at a really good price. I have used several other bags before this but I like this best. I don't carry all of this every time I go out but more often than not I do. I will add or swap some stuff sometimes. I do keep this packed and available at all times so when I get a chance to go hiking or have a search I just grab this as this is my base package. A search will add other items.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone must carry this much. I carry it because I like to. You can certainly "survive" with a lot less than this. I personally like carrying the extra weight. It feels good to me during the hike and I am so use to this amount of weight that I don't really know it is even there anymore. The other advantage this bag gives is I can decide I want to stay out overnight and be pretty comfortable. This is a nice option for me. Weight is around 15 pounds depending on what I add it can go up but I don't think it ever goes much over 20. That is with 2 liters of water and food, everything. Considering my camping bag probably starts around 45 and can get to 65 or so in the winter its very light.

OK, so now some of you have had your little laugh. :p Its time to ante up. Like the ad asks “What’s in your wallet” errr daypack? :D

Keith

Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II bag
NWA knife w/firesteel
Becker Brute (knife)
(2) Liter Nalgene bottle
Jpole antenna
2M/440 shorty antenna
Yaesu FT-50 Transceiver

10 4x4 gauze pads
2 Tegederm Dressings
3 days personal meds
Benadryl
Imodium
Optimist first aid kit

1 box Strawberry Jello

Swiss army box compass
Leatherman Wave
Petzl e+lite Headlamp
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline in Film canister
Commercial tinder
Cattail tinder
3 large garbage bags - 45 gallon
Folding stove

Hennessey hammock
Stainless mess kit
Pace count cord
2 powergels
Fox 40 whistle
Lansky sharpener
Swisstech utilikey
2 waterproof capsules
Button backup compass
2 Small bic lighter
Micropur tabs for water purification
50 feet 3 mm line
Secondary Whistle
Altoids container
Wire ties
5 Butterfly bandages
5 bandages
Wet naps
2 alcohol preps
Swiss army knife
Butane lighter

1 day emergency food
1 dinner
2 Handkerchiefs
DEET
Sunblock

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Keith

Nice job there Rambo...but one question where are your extra clothes?

Also interested in your Transciever...anymore info?

skiguy said:
A ham radio transciever (license required).

The Yaesu FT-50 appears to be discontinued. Info at http://k0swi.microlnk.com/REVIEW/YAESU/Y_FT50/YAESU FT 50R REVIEW.html.

You might take a look at the Kenwood TH-F6A http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=3&k2=9&k3=11&pr=2232.
I have one--144/220/432 FM, general coverage receiver. Light, weather resistant.

IIRC, you are in NH. HRO is probably the best ham radio store in the area. http://www.hamradio.com. Their website also has info on handheld transceivers (HTs in ham radio lingo) from several manufacturers.

Doug

Last edited:
skiguy said:

Unfortunately, Doug is correct. The FT-50 is discontinued, replaced by the FT-60 which is also another very good radio. The Kenwood TH-F6A is an excellent replacement for the FT-50. I have very specific reasons for using the FT-50 and you might still be able to get one on EBAY. I have one of the TH-F6A also and think very highly of it. You do need a license to use this radio but it is really not a difficult license to get. The license is more to make sure you know how to behave on the air and some basic information on safety, electronics etc rather than to keep you out of the hobby. Lots of places to get help including online to get your technicians license. No Morse code either anymore. In these days of cell phones this is still a very, very viable form of communications that doesn't require the huge infrastructure of the commercial enterprises. The Red Cross has a MOU memorandum of understanding) with amateur radio to assist them for all emergency communications. Most times these are places that probably don't have elecricity, or working cell towers etc. so that should say something about the capabilities of amateur radio. Many state and local EOC's (emergency operations centers) also have MOU's with them. Bottom line is with a little work on your part you can get information from news sources, weather sources, send information back an forth directly or through third parties with these radios most times, even when cell phones won’t work.

If you or anyone needs more information I would be more than willing to help. I suspect Doug would also though I don't want to volunteer him for anything. ;)

And yes, a two thumbs up to HRO also. :D

Keith

Last edited: