Aborted Pemi Loop with a mini keg of beer 8/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Ok - I guess there is a demand on this - got some Pm's and emails asking how this went.

All week, the weather was looking perfect for a pemi loop - canadian high pressue coming through friday leaving clear but cool sunny weather for the pemi. Friday, the weather changed a bit, but still looked good - We had about 10 people trying it - but by no means was this an organized event - it was a "hike your own hike" day and all gather for food and beer after at a campsite after.

participants - me,arm,meb,skimom,marchowes,gillian,woody,mats,cbcbd,little sister,jen,adamiata and mountaingirl. jasonpatrick joined as well - which I didn't even know until we got on top bondcliff!

We all started around 3:30 am and before we knew it we were on bondcliff just after sunrise, the nice thing about starting this early is the wildlife, fox, moose, etc.. were all seen. It was a bit windy and socked in, but still dry - and we all thought this would blow over shortly and the sun would peek out.

That never happened - we trudged our way over bond and west bond and past guyot whre the winds really picked up and was tossing me around - and then it started pouring near south twin and from here to the hut, motivation was starting the dwindle. It was probably around 45 degrees, wet and a decent breeze to really chill the body down. We all got to galehead and as the hikers filtered in, everyone was saying the same thing - this wasn't the day for a pemi loop.

Little sister had hiked up via gale river with the intention of hiking from there out via franconia ridge, so some hikers decided to head down that to the car.

With it being officially over - Mats tapped the mini keg of beer at galehead and the look on the folks at the hut was pretty priceless. Its about 10am, a slew of wet hikers come in on a loop attempt and they have a keg of beer with them. :p all in good fun.

So - we each had a small amount of beer for the heck of it and some went down gale river and Adam, Doug, Mats, Mountain Girl and I went down twin brook and franconia brook and within 30 minutes we were below the cloud deck and sun was shining and pretty much a different world than above 3800 feet.

We all felt great at the hut, just didn't think it was smart to continue on wet like we were, and the forecast was rain on the summits all day with high winds. We all knew the ridge from north laff to little haystack would have been nasty. Both Sir Edmund and Mtnpa confirmed this as they went up to meet us.

Had we had better conditions, this entire group would have finished the loop, no doubt in my mind.

you take what you can get, and the weekend was fun for sure.

We were all awoken friday night from the strange sounds of the famed humpbeast from the campsite next to ours. :eek: :eek:

I really want to say a special thanks to mtnmama, mtnpa, and hikeramiga for the food that night - the pizza, the chili, etc.. that was amazing. and of course mats for the keg!

mats had some real nasty potion called swedish bitter - YUK!!!!

and arm did amazing stuff with his grill

thanks to all for making it a fun couple of days. :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
It was a great weekend and by aborting the attempt we were able to enjoy marchowes firestarting skills and beer bottle opening demonstrations, giggy's DJ'ing, gourmet food, Doug's guitar and singing skills. Even three girls from the neighbor camp joined us after they ran out of firewood. We were all sooooo convinced that the time spent by the warm fire with lots of food and beverages in great company was better than geing tossed around and getting hypothermic on top of Franconia Ridge. mtnpa and Sir Edmund need a bunch of brownie points here for waiting for us for two hours on Lafayette and no one showed up. We did empty the keg at Galehead Hut......but with 13 people sharing it, it was more like an energizing rejuvenation than anything else. http://www.hoosactunnel.net/adventure/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=459

The next day Doug, skimom, mtnpa, Bob, hikeramiga, gillian, jen and I went to Echo Crag climbing. Beautiful day for climbing! I had to take off at 2:30 but I'm sure they continued some great climbing and went to a rave party afterwards :D

Last edited:
Awesome time this weekend (except the bit over S twin, that was cold and agonizing!)

This was my first time hearing the call of the infamous humpbeast in the wild. I know it evoked considerable giggling from the tents in close proximity to mine!!!!

My pictures from the fogfest (did someone say foghat? bobcat? what?) are here: http://hoosactunnel.net/adventure/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=401 (same as in the moose thread BTW)

Don't listen to them Mats, Swedish bitter is good stuff! :)

Incredibly fun weekend -- I never did 'whack kanc tho -- I'm not worried, its not going anywhere :)

Special thanks to Pamola BTW, for teaching me the ways of opening a beer bottle with blunt objects! The skill can be used for considerable entertainment :)

Seeing Foghat on the trail was awesome and a rare sighting for the NE.

I can't say enough thanks to the initiators, organizers, food providers, belayers, keg carriers, jokesters, and the fire staahters.

I have to work on my bottle opening, all the beer pours out when I just smash it on a rock.

Good time spent with some amazingly strong and fast hikers.

And the climbing on Sunday was the icing - it was good to get out on the rock and also get some other folks on it. Slowly you'll all be converted and next time we'll get Gillian and HikerAmiga tied up... I mean, tied in :D

friday

Nice to see many of you on Friday night for a short time. After the Humpbeast disturbance hopefully the 'yakking dog' didn't keep anyone awake :eek:

The mini keg was such a great idea Mats!

Wished I could have joined you all, but IT IS summer wedding time afterall...

Was relieved that you guys faired ok despite the ugly weather and happy to see y'all back at the campground safe and in decent spirits! You got in some good mileage and had some adventures safely and that's what counts! :D

giggy said:
jasonpatrick joined as well - which I didn't even know until we got on top bondcliff!

No worries giggy i'm still wondering who everyone is really, met a lot of new people so still no clue who every one is.

By the sounds i missed the best parts too, the pre and post part of the hike, maybe next time. I wonder how that would go before and after work?

So I'm heading out to meet Giggy's posse on Lafayette. Forecast is for a perfect blue sky hiking day. The plan is to bring up an empty water bag to the hut and fill it so the posse can resupply, then hike out to Lincoln woods with them. Mtnmama and BoB bring me to Greenleaf trailhead. Naturally rain is failling steady and temps are dropping. Underneath the bridge we see a wet cold hiker. He approaches us declaring that there are full winter conditions above the hut :eek: His eyes are as wide as frisbees, and in the middle of our conversation he runs off to warn two other hikers of the perils that await them. We decide to head to Franconia for breakfast. Down in the valley the clouds are high and to the north we see patches of sun reaching the ground. In the west it seems to be clearing, so we head back to the trail. The rain is still falling but it is much lighter. Soon the rain stops. Clouds are just above my head. They seem to rise as I approach so I never reach them.

At the hut I fill the water bag and refill my water. There's some time to kill before the posse will reach me. I order a bowl of soup. The croo member who serves me asks where I'm going. When I told her of my plans she implies that I'll probably die if I go up there on a day like this :rolleyes:

Above the hut I soon reach the clouds. A light mist is falling and winds begin to pick up. It turns briefly to sleet then back to a very light mist. Winds are quite brisk on the summit. The thought crosses my mind that most probably bailed at Galehead. But with this bunch I considered the possibility that two ot three of them just may come my way. So I find a spot out of the wind and layer up. In case anyone made it this far I could give them water, encouragement and/or the option to bail from here.

Pretty lonely up here for a Saturday. A few small groups come by and I take pictures for them. No one stays long. A thru hiker comes by ducks out of the wind. He is heading for Garfield tent site but stays for a long rest after crossing the ridge.

Time passes but the clouds don't. After a couple of hours it becomes apparent that no thirsty posse will come my way. I offer water to my summit companion and head down with a big mountain appetite. Hope there's some good food at camp ;) By the time I reach Eagle Pass the sun comes out of the clouds and sticks its tongue out at me.

JasonPatrikz said:
No worries giggy i'm still wondering who everyone is really, met a lot of new people so still no clue who every one is.

By the sounds i missed the best parts too, the pre and post part of the hike, maybe next time. I wonder how that would go before and after work?

be warned this group is a bad influence :D :D we just like to have fun.

Reactions: MEB
giggy said:
participants-me,arm,meb,skimom,marchowes,gillian,woody,mats,cbcbd,little sister,jen,adamiata and mountaingirl. jasonpatrick joined as well
When a crew like this bails out of a hike, you know it's gotta be pretty horrific up there! :eek:

Of course some of us (me, for starters) have absolutely no interest in walking 32 miles in one day. Oh well, chacun à son goût! :cool: (I still think you guys are crazy, though!) :rolleyes: :D

While I certainly can't hike as fast as the rest of the group I do try to keep moving. I certainly didn't want to miss out on that mini-keg that I had heard about! What a way to ensure your popularity! Just walk into an hut full of cold tired hikers with a keg of Heineken. No wonder Mats is everyone's friend! I certainly had a great time. Arm handled that grill like a master chef and Nilsa's timing bringing pizza was perfect! MtMama's chili and baked goods were fantastic. It was great to see everyone on the hike or at the campsite. I had a great time. I sure am glad I threw those rain pants in my pack though! :p

I want to thank Little Sister for the car spot and Jen for coming back and picking up our wet butts!