2005 Peakbagging Recap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Every year we have one of these threads, and I really enjoy seeing what everyone has accomplished in the last year. Pardon me if there has been a thread for this already. I'll start.

ADK:
Seward, Donaldson, Emmons, Sawteeth(W), Street, Nye(W), Phelps(W), Porter(W), Cascade(W), Marcy(W)
Repeats: Wright, Phelps, Gothics

NH:
Tom, Field, Willey, Eisenhower, Pierce, Hale, Isolation, Monroe
Repeats: Washington

NE115:
Katahdin, Hamlin

HP:
ME, CT, NJ, WV
Repeats: MA (2x), NH, NY

Firsts:
First trip to Baxter State Park
First ADK 46er with Colden
First NH 48er with Colden
First NH 48er winter attempt

Most Notable:

Standing on Marcy with my good friend Will on our second attempt, and seeing the lights come on in Lake Placid.

Splashing through the puddles with Colden on the path to Marcy Dam.

Sinking into hip-deep snow mid-May on Eisenhower with Colden on my back.

Crossing Knife's edge.

Finding the Myph Slide.

Showing my wife her son's mountain up close for the first time on a blue-bird day in August.

I wish all of you success in 2006.

-percious

Last edited:
percious said:
Every year we have one of these threads, and I really enjoy seeing what everyone has accomplished in the last year.

28 Fire towers - ranging from trivially easy to tough, all day hikes.
17 NEHH in VT and NH, some of which were 4Ks
17 4K's in the ADKs
20+ Catskills
A few other random peaks here and there.

Colden (2x) tops the list!

Honorable mention to Hurricane, climbed with 3 feet of snow in October! :eek:

So many lists, so little time! :D

Last edited:
Percious- You didn't mention Mt Carmel. ;) the 750 foot mountains just don't count do they.

I had a good year with my son. We will finish up the 48 this year. Start on the NE 4K. And do some serious discussion of a 2007 Long Trail hike

I took my wife up mt Jackson and Webster. She claims My words "A nice snowshoe in the woods" was a misrepresentation. She is talking to me again.

2005 will be the year I got hooked by peakbagging.

ADK :
-Giant,Dix, Porter, Cascade, Saddleback, Basin,Phelps, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Colden, Street, Nye, Donaldson, Emmons, Seward, Seymour, Colvin, Nippletop, Dial, Haystack, Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, Lower and Upper Wolfjaw's, Esther, Macomb, Allen.

NH :
-Washington

VT :
-Mansfield
-Camel's Hump

Also : My daughter's first mountain climbed by herself (St-Grégoire, very small but very cool rocky summit with views on ADK's, Green Mountains, and of course beautiful Montréal).

:) :) :) :) I wish you all a great hiking year :) :) :) :)

I counted the other day after a friend asked me how many mountains I climbed in 2005... I came up with 80 peaks that were 3K or more. I also tracked mileage -- 643.5 miles hiked and number of nights sleeping outdoors -- 35. It was a pretty good year. :)

My most notables were:
-- Making it up the summit of California's Mt. Whitney.
-- Hiking the 100-Mile Wilderness, mostly in the rain.
-- Finishing the New England portion of the Appalachian Trail
-- Finishing the New England 67 on North Brother.

- Ivy

Well, my list isn’t all that fancy. But it was fun.

ME Repeats: Baldpate, Tumbledown

NH New: Cube, Magalloway, Welsh-Dickey, and some hill north of the Perry Ponds
NH Repeats: Cannon, Osceola, East Osceola, Moosilauke, Owl’s Head, Monroe, Jefferson, Washington, Pierce, Webster, Jackson, Lincoln, Lafayette, Bondcliff, North and Middle Tripyramids, Squam Ridge, Monadnock, Cardigan

NY New: Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright
NY Repeats: Blackhead, Balsam

Most memorable were the sunrises from the summits of Washington and Cannon.

Last edited:
NH: Jackson, Pierce (2x), Eisenhower (2x), Franklin (2x), Monroe (2x), Washington (2x), Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Waumbek, Starr King, Carrigain (2x), North Hancock (3x), South Hancock (3x), Northwest Hancock, Willey, Tom, Field, Zealand, Zeacliff, Hale, Bondcliff (2x), Bond (2x), West Bond, Guyot (2x), South Twin (3x), North Twin (2x), North Tripyramid, South Tripyramid, Middle Tripyramid, Chocoura (2x), Moat, Tremont, Redrock Ravine, Whaleback (2x attempt), Captain (attempt), Flume (2x), Liberty (2x), Lincoln (2x), Lafayette (2x), Garfield, Galehead, Clough (attempt), Moosilauke, Middle Carter, South Carter, Pemigewasset, Monadnock, Pack & North Pack Monadnock, Baldface, Nancy, Bemis, Sleepers

ME: Baxter Peak, Hamlin Peak, North Brother, South Brother, Coe, Caribou

MA: Greylock, Wattatic, Frissell, Eric's backyard

NY: Thomas Cole, Blackhead, Blackdome, Hunter, Indian Head, Twin

VT: Equinox

Iceland: 2 week road/hiking trip

I had a good year except that I was sick for the last 2 months of it and didn't hike much. Looks like I'm better though.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
2005 Was My First Hiking Year

In March I was encouraged to become involved in hiking mainly for the health benefits. May 1 was my first hike, which was a trip up Mount Monadnock with my nephew UNFROZENCAVEMAN (aka Steven) and his mother Danielle.

Since then:

New Hampshire…..

Started to hike the NH 4000 Footers on May 14 and finished #48 on July 23. (ten weeks, nineteen hikes, last hike a Presi Traverse)

Have since hiked thirty-two of the NH 4000 Footers a second (or third) time.

Completed 8 of the NEHH in NH (three remain).

Vermont……

Hiked Stratton, Equinox, Mendon Peak, Pico Peak, Killington, Abraham, Ellen.

The best part of the year was the amount of time spent with Steven. We hiked the 4000 Footers together earlier in the year. Now, we’re digging into the Winter game.

That's all for now. :)

Last edited:
Let's see if I can do this off the top of my head or do I have to hit the spreadsheet.

VT: back to Mansfield for third time but first since 1994

ADK's: Redfield & Skylight for first time, 4th Marcy trip, first from 4 Corners & first since 1995; first time straddling the Hudson at Lake Tear (okay, the source of the Hudson)

ME: Finished the New England 4k's back when the number was 65 although I did do Spaulding as part of the then 100. This year I did Reddington as part of the Northeast 115. Currently at 92/115 with the 23 remaining all in the ADK's.

TN: did two dayhikes out of Newfound Gap, Highpointing TN + 3 other 6K peaks including Mt. LeConte now have six of the Southern 6K peaks. (Did Mitchell & Craig back in 1996.)

New Peaks: more new places this year since 1998 when I finished the NE 65. Besides the seven mentioned above, Pemigewasset, Morgan Percival Loop, Mt. Van Hoevenberg

NH: still did most of my hiking here but no new ground, some new trails. Trips that stood out for me including Tecumseh +the Osceolas as a one day semi-loop hike (first time past Greeley Ponds) & a June trip up Jewell over to Jefferson & then south to Ike & down Edmands, both had me hiking pretty slow on the last ascents.

Other: Revisited Wachusetts, Norowtuckk (sic?) & Tom in MA & Bear in CT overall 33 summit visits, the most since 2002. Went over #250 for 4K visits also.

Here is to staying healthy, getting in better shape & still going.... :)

New York:
Winter: played hockey on Copperas Pond, Noonmark, Colvin, Blake, Marshall, Allen attempt, Allen, Whiteface, Esther, Donaldson (sort of), Cliff.

End winter:
Seward, Marcy, Dix, Donaldson, Emmons, Cascade, Marcy, Phelps, Redfield, Gray, Rocky Peak Ridge (#46) Whiteface

Slides:
Bottle (on Giant), Nippletop, Kilburn, Wright, Colden, Erminebrook (part way), Bennies brook (Lower WJ)

ADK hundred:
Lost pond Peak, Green,Hurricane, Slide, Saddleback, Jay, TR, Pilsbury, Morgan, Sawtooth 1 and 5, Moose, Mackenzie, Avalanche, Jay again, Lyon, Henderson attempt

Others: Ausable #4, Spotted Mtn.

Start Winter:
Street, Nye, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont: Where are they anyway? :D

Some pretty impressive lists!!!!

Mine doesn't even come close....I wish I had more time to get out. :( But, I really value the time I do get out there :) , so here they are.....

N & S Kinsman
NE Cannonball
Goose Eye
Washington
N, M & S Moat
Iron Mtn
Sandwich Dome

None of the 4k's were "new," but all the others were (now working on the 100 Highest).

I also logged about 1,500 miles running (to keep in-shape for hiking, of course!), completed 6 road races including my first 1/2-marathon. Full marathon (and hopefully lots more hiking) later this year!!!

Before this year started I had only climbed the 4ks around Franconia Notch. I was just starting to get obsessed with it when the wintery season started and I decided to wait until spring to do more. I didn't have the gear for winter hiking and wanted to get more experienced with warm weather hiking first.

So anyway, I've hiked somewhere at least 3 weekends every month since spring and have added these to my list:

NH 4Ks- Kinsmans, Moosilauke, Oceola, Hancocks (via the Arrow Slide), Garfield, Tecumseh, the Twins, Eisenhower, Jackson, Pierce, Waumbek (my first winter 4k!), and Jim. I also repeated a bunch on the VFTT Franconia Ridge Traverse.

NH smaller peaks - Monadnock (5x), Kearsarge, Cardigan, Firescrew, Starr King, Martha (most of the way), Stanton, Pickering, Langdon, Parker, Pemigewasset

MA - Greylock, Fitch, Williams, Prospect, Watatic (my first winter peak), Holyoke (3x), Norwottuck, Bare, Hitchcock, and a whole lot of hiking in the Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells

C'mon Pin-Pin, show us your list for 2005, if there's enough server space that is. :D

ADKs in 2005

Santanoni (02.06.05), Panther (02.06.05), Sawteeth (03.12.05), Big Slide (03.13.05), Skylight (05.28.05), Marcy (05.28.05), Colden (05.29.05), Saddleback (06.30.05), Dial (07.02.05), Nippletop (07.02.05), Algonquin (07.03.05), Iroquois (07.03.05), Colvin (09.02.05), Blake (09.02.05), Tabletop (09.03.05), Phelps (09.03.05), Porter (09.04.05), Haystack (10.22.05), Giant (12.24.05), Rocky Peak (12.24.05), Colvin (12.25.05), Blake (12.25.05), Gothics (12.27.05), Armstrong (12.27.05), Seymour (12.29.05), and 17,129 frequent flyer miles. :D

Last edited:
Nevada
Turtlehead
Turtlehead Jr
Calico Hills
Frenchman Mtn
Unnamed Slot Canyon
Unnamed Peak

New York
Marcy (#46!)
Dix (trail work)
Indian Head
Twin
Gothics/Pyramid/Sawteeth/Blake/Colvin
Nippletop Slide Attempt
Nippletop Slide
Rocky Peak
Colden via Trap Dike and 1990 Slide
Whiteface Ski Slides #1 and #3
Gothics Attempt
Erie Canal Hike (27 miles)

Arizona/Utah
Fremont Pass/base of Weavers Needle
Squaw Peak
The Wave
Paria Canyon
Castle Rock
Mt. Humphries (12,633')

From the top in elevation-

Madison
Middle Carter
South Carter
Monadnock
Mt. Major
Bald Hill- Small dumlin in town

Not a great year for me. :(
ADK's winter-Algonquin, Phelps
fall-Chimney, Good Luck Cliffs
Catskills summer & fall- Overlook, Twin, Pratt's Rocks, Wittenberg, Huntersfield
Indian Head, Hunter
winter-Blackhead (x3), Blackdome (x2), Thomas Cole, Slide (x2),
Panther (x2), Balsam (x2), Balsam Lake, Graham, Vly, Bearpen
Plataue, Sugarloaf, Big Indian, Fir, Westkill, Winham High Peak
(x3) I think that's it but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to get out more in the winter now that mountain biking takes up my summers and fall.

Let's see...there were some repeats, but new ones for me in 2005 were:

Winter 4Ks
N Tripyramid
M Tripyramid
Cannon
Cabot
Waumbek
Pierce

Summer 4Ks
Tom
Field
Willey
Osceola
East Osceola
Tecumseh
North Brother (ME)

Summer, Other
Sandwich Dome
Jennings Peak

-vegematic

ETA: forgot to include Pierce on my winter accomplishments.

Last edited:
Not much this year for me:

Winter
Lower Wolf Jaw
Big Slide
Cascade
Porter

Spring
Sawteeth
Colvin
Blake
Allen
Colden
Redfield
Cliff
Giant
Rocky Peak Ridge

Summer
Marcy
Haystack
Basin
Saddleback

It was a bit of an off-year for me too, compared with 2004.

ADK High Peaks: Big Slide, Colvin, Lower Wolf Jaw, Upper Wolf Jaw, Marcy, Haystack, Allen, Panther, Couchsachraga, Dix, Hough, South Dix, Macomb, Santanoni, Tabletop, Giant, Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, Cascade.

Cascade was in the fall with my 5 year old son, Ben. To warm up for that, in the summer we did Mt. Jo, Baker Mtn., Pitchoff Mtn., and Round Mtn.

Smaller peaks solo were Yard, Ampersand, Snow Mtn., and Rooster Comb.

I'm looking forward to a more adventurous 2006 with some (first time) winter climbing beginning (hopefully) on Jan 14th!