2011 spring wildflower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a mint (square stem + flower shape), not a Veronica sp. Looks like Glechoma hederacea (gill-over-the-ground) to me. Nice photos!

Thanks once again for the correction. I am learning a lot from this thread.

From Thetford, Vermont - Union Village Dam, May 7, 2011

Sharp-lobed hepatica by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

Big patch of Purple Trillium by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr
The patch of purple trillium was actually much bigger than this. I have never seen so much in one place before. You can see some sessile-leaved bellwort mixed in.

There was also a lot of Trout Lily; but my shots of that were in even worse focus than the sharp-lobed hepatica.

Last edited:
The patch of purple trillium was actually much bigger than this. I have never seen so much in one place before ... There was also a lot of Trout Lily

Speaking of these 2 flowers:

There are thousands of Trillium on Pitchoff in the ADKs.

There are innumerable trout lilies on Table mountain in the Catskills! They fill an area at least 1000' on a side!

I've seen humungous patches of the large white trillium in Upstate NY as well. I guess New Yorkers just do everything in a big way. :p

I remember lots of trout lilies from hiking Cube a few years ago. The soils may be similar to Cardigans?

From today (May 9, 2011) in Lyme, NH, I got this white violet. Not sure if it is Sweet White Violet (Viola blanda) or Northern White Violet (V. pallens) or something else altogether. Based on the leaf shape, I am leaning towards blanda.

White Violet by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

Sweet White Violet, maybe by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

Last edited:
Marsh Marigold Caltha palustris

5705091993_7ae5968387.jpg
5705092161_7194130971.jpg

JohnL

Last edited:
The lady's-slippers are just starting to bloom in Waltham. This is about ten days later than last year.
ladyslipper.jpg

Also found blooms of columbine, corydalis, anemone (shown with poison ivy),

anemone_ivy.jpg

strawberry, blueberry, and some violets with extremely incised leaves (Edit: birdfoot violet, Viola Pedata),

viola.jpg

plus a big patch of equisetum (not a flowering plant at all)
equisetum.jpg

Last edited:
Three new ladies all in a row

5719618236_f895a65f27.jpg

Starflower Trientalis borealis

5719618528_7ec853a75b.jpg

Cypress Spurge Euphorbia cyparissias

5719618428_8e2d147c8e.jpg

Fringed Polygala Polygala paucifolia

5719057425_02701bbff8.jpg

JohnL

Last edited:
Saco Heath and Lamprey Watershed...

Yesterday I got up early hoping to catch sunrise over the rhodora blooms at Saco Heath...only there wasn't any rhodora out yet. This season is definately 'normal' to slow for flowers. Way later than last year...

Anyway, lots of leatherleaf, some bog laurel, and painted trillium on the perimeter...

Too Early at the Saco Heath by Jim Salge, on Flickr

Painted Trillium... by Jim Salge, on Flickr

Bog Laurel by Jim Salge, on Flickr

On the way home I stopped by a fertile floodplain on the lamprey river in Epping. I have seen trillium leaves there for years, never seen them bloom, and today I realized why. They were nodding trillium, and the flowers were small and underneath. Fun with new species!!!

Nodding Trillium... by Jim Salge, on Flickr

Jason B. already posted one [actually two] of these, but I can't resist:

eft.jpg

Watch these things closely when they walk - they're so awkward and slow, and their limbs look so fragile and incomplete, that it's amazing they move at all, yet they manage to scale terrain that would be fourth or fifth class if it were human-sized.

===
And since it's a flowers thread, I'll contribute the second photo of hobblebush:
hobblebush.jpg

Last edited:
Holt's Ledge Trail, Lyme, NH

May 18, 2011. From a hike up the Holt's Ledge Trail (part of the Appalachian Trail) in Lyme, New Hampshire.

Kidney-leaved Violet, maybe by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr
I think this white violet (growing right in the trail) is a Kidney-leaved Violet.

Painted Trillium 2 by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

Early Saxifrage, maybe by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr
I believe this is Early Saxifrage. The basal leaves (not seen) looked like it. This was growing in very rocky soil at the top of Holt's Ledge. It was very windy, so I had to use my hat to block the wind and get the plant to sit still to have its picture taken.

Goldthread by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

Blue Violet by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr
Maybe Northern Blue Violet?

Also blooming were: Pussytoes, Foamflower, Pin Cherry, and Wild Apple at lower elevations (800 - 1500 feet); Hobblebush, Trout Lily, Purple Trillium, Spring Beauty, Bluet, Wild Strawberry, and Smooth Solomon's Seal up higher (1200 - 2000 feet). Serviceberry was blooming at 2,000 feet; but already gone by at lower elevations.

About to bloom: Lady's Slipper and Yellow Clintonia

Last edited:
Blaze,

I have to say that is the most imaginative flower image I have seen in all of these annual wildflower threads. Very nicely done.

JohnL

Well, I'm nearly certain that this is something relatively common . . . however it's NEW to me! It appears to be some sort of violet.
I'd love to have some help with identification.

A patch of these wildflowers was seen on 20-May-2011 along the east bank of the Saco River between Davis Path and Sleeper Brook.

P1020441.JPG

Last edited: