29th ed. WMG is out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed some post-Irene updates, but haven't looked at it against the 28th to see if there is anything new or different. I think the picture on the front cover is taken from Zeacliff looking out across the Pemi at the Carrigain area.

Does it still include the Mount Cabot Trail with the caveat (like my 27th edition does)?

Tim

It describes the landowner issues, and says the trail is unmaintained below the Kilkenny Ridge Trail jct. It continues to say there is no legal access to Cabot from the west. There is no actual trail description.

My gripe with the index is that it didn't indicate where you could find the trail description and had to search all the referenced pages to find it.

This was only from one particular printing of the 28th edition I believe. I had a discussion with Steve Smith about it. It is fixed in the new edition. That was a major bummer in the 28th edition - I bought two copies and both had that problem. It drove me nuts!

I was in The Mountain Wanderer not long after the centennial edition came out, and another acquaintance of Steve’s came in and, after saying how much he liked the new edition, added that he had one complaint. Steve immediately knew what it was: the index.

Maybe that was you, Roadtripper!

I remember that Steve said that he and Gene weren’t happy with it, but that they hadn’t had any input into how it was done.

It was probably changed for subsequent printings.

My gripe with the index is that it didn't indicate where you could find the trail description and had to search all the referenced pages to find it.

Tradeoff: usable index vs. all the handwritten notes/updates in my 28th ed. ..... Index will probably win.

I remember that Steve said that he and Gene weren’t happy with it, but that they hadn’t had any input into how it was done.

It was probably changed for subsequent printings.
I don't know if it was ever changed in the book as Joy St never cared, but the authors still had the correct index and would give you a copy on request - next person to see Steve can ask him

28th index

The corrected index for the 28th edition was online (AMC website?). I printed it, but it was still a pain in the neck to use with the book. I think a post on this site might have led me to it??