4 of the Maine 6-pack. Sept.24-25 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
Snow (cup), N. Kennebago Divide and Whitecap, Elephant the second day.

Not much to say, except that the road conditions are excellent (Tim Pond, Wiggle, Lincoln, Morton cut-off etc). We had an Ford Edge, but my Yaris would have been just fine. We saw a lot of people fishing, and I was wearing orange just in case hunters would be out there (and I also felt like wearing that great VFTT t-shirt of mine :cool:)

We didn't try too much to follow the herd paths, because they were not always obvious, and I hate the idea of ''maintaining'' them. Maybe less people are going now ? We just took a bearing and went up, getting back on it from time to time. Only between NKD and Whitecap the herd path is pretty good, and down Whitecap (Eastern approach)... I must say we decide to go up NKD and then Whitecap, I realized too late that the opposite direction seemed much easier. I just forgot to ask :eek:

Canister on Snow is OK, but everything else was damp.

Anyway, fun girl weekend in the ''Grand Bois du Nord'' ! Too bad it was foggy all weekend, because the colors were majestic !!!

Pics

Huh - your only good herdpath is the one Sabrina and I never found!

Covered with spruce needles is a good look. :)

journal art

Your photo of the the White Cap canister journal, the drawing of a joint? with "Light Up B*****" written above it. That same drawing, also dated 2011, was in the East Kennebago canister when I visited it last Monday. That guy gets around!

Julie,

Glad you two were able to knock off all four. I enjoyed the photos as well. I sometimes like to show off my VFTT shirt, too :cool:

Sorry that I wasn't definitely in the area this past weekend. Let me know when you are in the Rangeley area in the future.

Best regards,
Marty

Two crazy whacking women! Good job Julie and say hi to Suzie for us!!

Julie,

Glad you two were able to knock off all four. I enjoyed the photos as well. I sometimes like to show off my VFTT shirt, too :cool:

Sorry that I wasn't definitely in the area this past weekend. Let me know when you are in the Rangeley area in the future.

Best regards,
Marty

Very nice of you Marty ! We're not done with the Maine 3K's, so we'll be in that area again, that's for sure !

Hi Timmus, We were out there last week and did Elephant. We then tried to go across the border and do Boundary. When we got to the gate house the nice man told us it was impossible to get there as his road had washed out. We then did Snow (COP) and the next day we went down to the Morton Cutoff and could not find the trailhead for the hikes you did. Did you do all three at once? We were there on a work day and almost got run over a few times by large trucks filled with logs. We still need Snow (Cup), Kennebago Divide, White Cap and Boundary. They line up in a nice row. Can you give some info on the directions you used to find the trailheads? Thanks, Mike D.

Did you do all three at once? We were there on a work day and almost got run over a few times by large trucks filled with logs. We still need Snow (Cup), Kennebago Divide, White Cap and Boundary. They line up in a nice row. Can you give some info on the directions you used to find the trailheads? Thanks, Mike D.

Hi !

We did Snow (cup) first, starting on Wiggle Brook Rd at about 3,5 mi west of the Kennebago River (3h RT) There was a small cairn visible from Wiggle Rd, showing where to start (and place to park). After Snow, we drove back to the junction and took Bear Brook (I think that's the name) and parked at the end of that road for NKD and Whitecap. It's about 4 miles after the jct.

Absolutely no truck traffic during the weekends.
Good luck !