A Different Kind of Big Mountain Experience

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Ski Reports belong on VfTT?

• Yes, anything mountain sport related belongs on VfTT

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • No, I am a purist and only want to read about hiking -- skiing, rockclimbing, tele don't fit in.

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters

una_dogger

Reaction score
MichaelJ, myself and some of our ski buddies all spent a few days in Lake Tahoe, California -- getting the goods at Heavenly and Squaw Valley USA. The second night we were there, the Sierras in North Lake Tahoe took a direct hit of powder; with Squaw recieving up to 18 inches!! We spent the first day at Heavenly, then the remaining two days Squaw, doing some amazing skiing in deep untracked powder -it was a great experience for me, and I know many here don't like the idea of downhill skiing, but for me, its simply another way to connect with a mountain, and I love it!

I started downhill skiing last winter, and I guess I've progressed pretty well, seems like every time I strap on the skiis I learn something new...maybe I was born to ski! :p Nice to learn something new at 40 -- and I feel like those kids you see bombing down the slopes -- no fear. :)

http://www.squaw.com/squaw-valley-usa-mountain-map

Our first day at Heavenly, I was pretty conservative. Never having skiied out West before, I wasn't sure what I'd be in for. I stuck to the blue rated groomers, and got bored REALLY quickly. Michael, Kat and Erik were hitting the glades -- but as I was alone, and the visibility terrible, I didn't stray far from the crowds. I pulled out my map and eyeballed a black diamond called "Pinnacles" and made my way over to it. I got to the top of it, and found it closed. Trying to get myself back to the lift where I was to meet up with the crew, I found I couldn't get back there, and ended up at another base, in NEVADA. Oops. After negotiating a few lifts and trails, I made my way back, chuckling to myself as I passed a wooden sign nailed to a tree that read "Welcome to California". Too funny.

The rest of the day, the crew took me under their wing and we hit glades and my first bowl. Woot! Straight down it was, fast and steep and narrow with rocky ledges to negotiate. It was pretty packed out, as Heavenly had gotten about 8 inches two nights before. Michael was behind me; and Kat and Erik approached from higher up through the trees. I heard a big "HOLY $Git, Sabrina!" -- Kat was coming down the easier side of the bowl and let out a huge Woot! of applause. Yeah, I could get into this!! A huge sense of accomplishment and confidence boost for me; and from that point onward I was with them for the rest of the trip, skiing the big snow laden bowls and black diamond trails with the big kids. Welcome to California, indeed. :cool:

Monday morning we awoke to deep snow, and while unburying the SUV we rented, we heard the avalanche crews blasting the hell out of Squaw. We spent the morning skiing off Snow King, 7550 ft -- and had a GREAT time getting used to deep powder. Kat and Erik being the expert skiers, would point out areas they thought I could handle. Garrett, also an expert but on skiis for the first time this year, quickly became the "devil on my shoulder", and once out of the watchful eyes of the "experts" -- he steered me down the steeper stuff. ;) Michael was happy to follow along, making sure I didn't kill myself. Each time we'd ride the lift, we'd see an even narlier line, and go for it. It was great.
ry%3D400

I can't get enough of this stuff....

After a couple hours, the freshies stripped from the snowfields, we headed to the upper mountain area's summit Squaw Peak; elev 8900 ft, and Michael, Garrett and I skiied in the Siberia Bowl (elev 8700). This was the steepest stuff I've ever skiied, but the deep powder made these "good conditions for risk taking" because you just don't get going that fast! What a funny sensation it was when I lost the gravitational pull of the Earth, and sommersaulted effortlessly, then landed on my back; head downhill, feet uphill, one ski buried somewhere, one pole lost, and my entire body covered in a flash and a woosh! with a layer of powdery snow!! Hee hee!

The nice guys at the lift maintenance shop made me a new "custom" ski pole by scavenging parts from old poles and cutting it down to size. Now that's customer service! I never had to go below 8000 ft to get new swag. Yeeha. We skiied several hours in Siberia Bowl, finding new lines in fresh powder each time. Everytime we'd get off the top of the lift, I'd glance the 200 or so feet up to the summit, and the peakbagger in me would think, "just run up and tag it!!!"....alas, I never did.
ry%3D480

So close, and yet...so far...taken at the top of Siberia Bowl

After a long day of skiing, we made our way to High Camp, and enjoyed apres ski beverages at elevation 8200 ft with panaramic views, and rode down in the Tram after the sunset.

Tuesday morning brought a new ski report and the news that Granite Chief Peak would be open today! (This area was closed monday because the avalanche crews got stuck out there, they got alot of snow!) We made our way straight there and first skiied down into the Shirley Lake Area and then made our way up to a sweet bowl called High Voltage off Granite Chief Peak. Wowee! Even steeper than yesterday!! With trees and rocks! The skies were a brilliant blue and we found ourselves sheltered from the wind and away from the crowds in a snowy Shangri La.

ry%3D480

High Voltage

There was only one trail groomed in the whole area. Folks were skiing anywhere and everywhere. It was a blast. Just before lunch, the gate was opened to the closest thing to a backcountry experience I've ever had, The Hidden Bowl. I decided that MJ, Kat and Garrett would go ahead and scope it out for me. There were many ledges and glades - so I decided I'd hit the groomer while they hit the bowl. The groomer, called Main Backside, turned out to be straight down!! I skiied to the lip, and saw only the air in front of me. No one was around, because everyone was playing in the Pow. I kept inching forward, to see down it, and started to feel a bit of vertigo because I basically had to hang over the edge to see the slope!
ry%3D400

I looked around at the beautiful mountains and brilliant blue sky, gazed across to Emigrant Peak, pearly white with a line of spindrift weaving off its summit; and thought to myself "this is a once in a lifetime trip" and with that, made my first turn and skiied down the absolutely steepest headwall I've ever come down. It was AWESOME!
ry%3D480

Squaw Valley USA, Emigrant Peak from High Voltage on Granite Chief Peak

I hooked back up with the gang; and we hit Hidden Bowl. As we traversed the top from the lift to the lip; a rainbow appeared in the sky; apparently created by the crystals of snow finely dispersed in the air. It surely must be a sign, I thought. :)

ry%3D400

The "Snow-bow"

Hidden Bowl itself was a long funnel of snow, that emptied out into a long stretch of alpine meadow, then dropped through a stand of big pines,and finally around some rocky ledges--it was like a hiking trail. We skiied it twice before we decided to head in for lunch. We were whipped!

ry%3D480

MichaelJ crossing the Alpine Meadow after coming down Hidden Bowl

Afterlunch, we headed up the Emigrant Lift, and found it super windy on top. Kat and I skied down Emigrant and Shirley Bowls; while Garrett took the groomers. We met up for one more ride down through Hidden Bowl, then skiied a few groomers before the lifts started to close. Kat and MJ hit the bar at High Camp, and Garrett and I skied the 3.2 miles from High Camp back to the base and Squaw Village, it just seemed like the thing to do.

What a GREAT trip! I only hope I am fortunate enough to enjoy big mountain skiing every winter from now on. It was an amazing experience! For those reading who aren't skiiers, don't forget that Lake Tahoe is an amazing summer destination as well, for road biking, mountain biking and hiking!

All three albums can be found here, under Recent Adventures:
http://unadoggerspictures1.shutterfly.com/54

Last edited:
If Darren agrees with you that "anything mountain sport related belongs on VFTT," then it would be nice to include mountain biking as well.

Great pics!!!! Brings back lots of great memories as I was a major ski-bum back in my younger days--I spent a couple winters driving the west when I was in my 20's---(longer ago than I dare remember) including Tahoe and Heavenly...and everything in between there Colorado, Jackson, Big Sky and Whistler/Blackcomb--Western skiing is not the same sport as skiing here in the East....And I haven't skied a day since I started hiking and climbing:eek::eek: Looking at your pics is making me re=evaluate my spare time!!
As for posting ski trips here--Why not--I'm sure alot of us do both, and you do get V'sFTT;)

If Darren agrees with you that "anything mountain sport related belongs on VFTT," then it would be nice to include mountain biking as well.

Yes, it's up to Darren of course. But I've seen threads here before on both paddling and skiing, and there was apparently no problem with them.

Great trip report, looks like you had primo conditions. The fresh pow is intoxicating. Keep a weather eye out for a dangerous condition that sometimes follow one's first trip out west. Its called "hardpackitis" and its serious. After my first trip to ALTA I had no interest in sking the usual terrain in NH I'd been happy with for years.
But seriously; going out west does open your eyes. It changed my tastes from Loon/Sunapee/Waterville to Cannon/Jay/Burke. And a powder day is now a "I need a new and original excuse to get out of work day."
Keep on the lookout for those powder stashes!!

Yes, it's up to Darren of course. But I've seen threads here before on both paddling and skiing, and there was apparently no problem with them.

Agreed. I wasn't indicating that there would be any problem with threads on skiing or paddling. I love the forum on paddling, and the pics folks share from their ski trips are awesome! But the topic of mountain biking seems to evoke different responses, i.e. the whole debate of why it's ok to ski a mountain and count it, vs. not ok to mountain bike it and count it, even though in many cases it's harder to mountain bike a mtn than to hike it. That mechanical advantage is BS when you're cycling up a trail and/or trying to control the bike going down so you don't crash into something. I would love to see a forum on mountain biking as I know there a lot of cyclists here on VFTT. It would be nice to find out more places around the state and locally where it's ok to mtn bike and not upset hikers or other trail users. My point was simply that if threads, and hopefully a forum, develop for skiing, and we already have one for paddling, it would be nice to also have one for mtn biking. Ever hopeful....

Nice Trip Rerport una_dogger. Your really gettin that "dude" talk down not to mention your skiing:)Bet you can't guess how I voted;)

Last edited:
I think that any human-powered, mountain sports related forums would be a welcome addition such as:

• Downhill Skiing
  • Cross-Country/Backcountry Skiing
  • Mountain Biking

I didn't answer the poll because there is too much contrast between the choices.

In spite of what looks like an amazing trip (looked at the pictures and turned the pages) I don't have any interest in forum reports of lift-served skiing. I began downhill skiing at age 5 and have no bias against it.

This looks like an issue where it would be up to the admin to impose his vision/leadership.

Last edited:
:D Not a serious poll, just getting a pulse of the people!

We do have a little social group here devoted to hikers who ski -- I just wanted to put the report out for all to see. I don't think we need a separate forum -- I think "General Backcountry" kinda serves as a catch-all??

As always, its wonderful to see folks engaging in the notion of broadening the forums, we have quite a diverse community!!! I'm constantly amazed at the range of experience, positive attitudes, and outdoor exploits of our community -- its inspiring!!

Nice Trip Rerport una_dogger. Your really gettin that "dude" talk down not to mention your skiing:)Bet you can't guess how I voted;)

LOL, it all just comes naturally, Dude!

I'm very Jealous... but also very interested in this report. Great pictures! You and Michael must have had an awesome time!

Facebook overlap! Too funny.......

I began downhill skiing at age 5 ...

Lucky duck....

Last edited:
Looks like an amazing time, I love the pictures!

As for your question, and without reading all the responses yet...In my opinion I think that any mountain-sport related activity that is in the mountains of the Northeast belongs on here. I'm still a noob on here, so I don't know the whole history and origional mission statement. But the forum is called View From The Top, and there are many ways to expereience those views. As long as you're in the outdoors, on a mountain, in the Northeast, lets share it on here, everybody! I'm all for it :D

Sabrina and MJ who the %&%#@ cares about the misfits out there who dont like skiing :cool:

The important part is you guys are having a blast and you will never forget this trip. You just better invite me next time skiing rocks :) AWESOME PICS BTW

great views from the top

Wow..what a story

and some super great photos

many of which appeared to be Views from the Top of someplace:D

dudes...thanks for sharing.....

Backcountry ski reports I would like to see. Also ice/rock climbing, mt biking and kayak/canoe trips. As for ski reports from resorts. Not really.