Adams and Madison - 12/3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
Trails hiked: Airline, Short Line, King Ravine, Airline, Gulfside, Watson, Brookside, Valley Way

Peaks: Adams, Madison

Miles: I calculated 9.9mi

Conditions: Excellent!! Very little ice to worry about

Last minute decisions as always, left at 9pm on Saturday towards the Whites and got to the Apalachia trailhead at 2:15am. As I got off the Twin Mountain exit I was greeted by falling snow!

Went to bed in the car, woke up around 7am with plans on leaving at 8.
Left at 7:50am and the trails had a dusting of snow

I really didn't know what to expect of the King Ravine and was ready to turn around if conditions were bad on the trail. But, no worries, the trail was a long tough scramble but thankfully the rocks were pretty dry. I didn't take the Subway because I was worried about the time but did go through the very cool ice caves.
I huddled behind a huge boulder on the left of the trail, right before it reaches the Airline and put on my shell and goggles and got ready for the crazy wind that had been going since the previous day.

It was pretty windy, but not enough that I had trouble standing. I get to the Gulfside junction and turn my back to the wind for a little bit while I checked my bearings one last time... just then everything gets very bright, I look up and can now see Madison
The view just takes my breath and emotions away, I turn around to face Adams and see that the clouds had parted and the sun was shining in full glory
I quickly took my camera out thinking this moment would be fleeting but from that moment on the sun was out the whole day. I was hollering with excitement as I tried to take in all the views that had just opened up.
After some pictures and video I headed up to Adams and talked to 3 guys who had spent the night at Crag and were heading down. At the summit of Adams I could now see tons of people heading up the Airline - a group of 4, 3 singles and I passed another guy on my way down who had just come from Madison.

It was 12:20 when I left the Adams summit and decided that I could probably do Madison and come down the Watson before dark. Passed the Madison hut at around 1pm and kept on up
Got to the Madison summit at 1:20 and the day was still gorgeous.
Headed down the long and joint-jarring descent of the Watson path and after the duck falls, opted to take Brookside all the way down to Valley Way... which seemed like forever but had some great views.

It was a great day and I couldn't have asked for better weather!

On the way back I had a Double Whopper with cheese - it was overflowing with messiness and goodness - ooooh yeah :D

-Doug

Last edited:
Awsome pics, Doug . I'm glad you had great weather too. You do know there's easier ways to get up there, don't you ! ;)

Dave

Nice report, not I am kicking myself for being too lazy to get out of bed early to hike last weekend... I love the mountain peaks with broken clouds like that, great photos.

Great report. There's nothing like a little snow to change the views. When you were at the hut, were there any AMC people around? A caretaker told me that on weekends, the AMC sends people to check up on Madison and Lakes huts, and if the weather isn't too bad, they hang out for a bit.

lattinhill said:
Awsome pics, Doug . I'm glad you had great weather too. You do know there's easier ways to get up there, don't you ! ;)

Dave
What? But this kid at the trailhead told me that was the easiest way up!!
Damn kids! :rolleyes: :D

Now Dave, if I wanted easy I would've skipped the hiking and headed straight to Burger King... which doesn't sound like a bad idea either :D

Bobby said:
Great report. There's nothing like a little snow to change the views. When you were at the hut, were there any AMC people around? A caretaker told me that on weekends, the AMC sends people to check up on Madison and Lakes huts, and if the weather isn't too bad, they hang out for a bit.
I passed through so fast and didn't expect anyone to be there so I saw no one there. The weather was great, but it only cleared up around 11am so they could've already have left.

Sweet! All prepared for naught (that's the way it should be!!) Lucky Doug!!

Lets see...
Burger King Double WHOPPER Sandwich, w/Cheese
Calories: 1070
Calories from Fat: 630
Total Fat: 70 grams
Saturated Fat: 27 grams
Cholesterol: 185 milligrams
Sodium: 1500 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 53 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sugars: 11 grams
Protein: 57 grams

What's bad about that??? You got some fiber and protein!!

Wow. Great trip, great pics, great report. It was just stunning to see the photos go from the gray, semi-threatening conditions to the brilliant sun. Very motivational!

By the way, what traction devices did you use and do you think you could have done it in Stabilicers only?

Bubba, there is exactly nothing wrong about that :)

Let's see, it takes the body 1 hour to process 4-5g of protein... no wonder I wasn't too hungry all through Monday - saved myself some money! :D

ps - I also later stopped at a Papa Gino's and got a slice of sausage pizza ;)

--M. said:
Wow. Great trip, great pics, great report. It was just stunning to see the photos go from the gray, semi-threatening conditions to the brilliant sun. Very motivational!

By the way, what traction devices did you use and do you think you could have done it in Stabilicers only?
The feeling in person was exactly like that - windy, cold, hardcore... transformed to OMFG!! :D

I brought crampons and never had to take them out. The trails below treeline didn't have that much ice that I couldn't go around, the boulders on the King Ravine trail were also pretty dry (save for some snow on them) and every other step was a great foot jam between two rocks, above treeline was very windblown and not very icy either (save for rime ice) - none of the people I saw above treeline had any traction devices that I noticed.
IMO using Stabilicers would be fine and add a little more traction here and there, but crampons would definitively slow one down and actually be pretty dangerous on the steeper trails like the ascent of King Ravine and descent of the Watson.

Last edited:
Food police strike again?

:confused: I was going to show my wife your TR and when I got to the Cheeseburger I got a dead link. It's ok now. Thought maybe the food police had been on the job. Any way great pics cbcbd! That first picture of Madison is enchanting. I especially like the cheeseburger. Carbo load before and during the hike, but after the hike time to feast on protein to rebuild those muscle fibers bigger and better. Yumm! I personally like the double cheese burgers at McDonalds in Lincoln. :D

Nice pix...King Ravine is the best.....nothing like breaking over the top of the headwall and seeing Madison and all the views around it...

K