after-hike hang-outs in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodstock Station vs. Truants

I've been to both places many times, and have to agree with the various comments, both good and bad, about both places.

What gives the Woodstock Station a slight edge in my mind is that you walk in with a large group of rowdy buds after a hike and not worry that you're going to bother others, as it tends to be a bit noisy anyway. And yes, the servers sometimes have attitude, but if you're making sub-minimum wage and having to wait on noisy, smelly people then maybe it all evens out.

And yes, the servers sometimes have attitude, but if you're making sub-minimum wage and having to wait on noisy, smelly people then maybe it all evens out.

Sometimes it's a matter of choice, the payback being to live the season as a ski bum. Sometimes it's a matter of necessity. I've never known good manners nor sound character to be justifiably defined by economic circumstance.

The OP asks about where hikers hang out. In the North Conway area, this would definately be Moat Mtn. Brewery. Ironincally, this is one drawback to the place for me.

The problem for me is all the people who are trendy types. " Look at me..I'm like cool...I'm like an ice-climber...I'm a like peakbagger...I'm like a regular on the trails..." I'd love to hang out with like-minded, mature adults who are beyond the infatuation with image, share a few quality brews and talk hiking.

I'm repulsed by a dude with a wool hat inside a tavern, talking about his exploits loudly enough for all to hear. They all seem obsessed with looking like they live in the woods, even though they live in a city hours away. Yawn...

So, if you're looking for the hip phonies...Moat Mt. Brewery. Actually, my wife and I ocassionally go there for the entertainment value to goof on tourists trying to look hip. The beer and food is absolutely excellent.

For normal company, excellent food and a wonderful, authentic atmosphere, try May Kelly's. On Sunday afternoon, local musicians gather and play Irish folk music for food and beer. The atmosphere they create is priceless. Try the meatloaf and a "Sminicks"...I'm not kidding.

Forestgnome, I'm not sure I get what you're saying -- I'd wager that many of these folks are coming in from a hike, so they probably look like they live in the woods because they just got off the trail. Also, I love to share hiking stories and exploits with people....I like hiking, they like hiking, so it seems a natural course of conversation. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "phonies."

As for tourists....I don't count a regular hiker as a tourist. Is someone less honest/tolerable if they live in MA vs NH, but they're there every weekend, spending most of their free time on the trail and spending a good deal of their money in NH establishments?

I've encountered hiker folks who were boisterous in their love of the outdoors, but I wouldn't consider them "phonies" -- maybe I haven't experienced the same kind of atmosphere you have, so I can't relate to what you're talking about..?

The OP asks about where hikers hang out. In the North Conway area, this would definately be Moat Mtn. Brewery. Ironincally, this is one drawback to the place for me.

The problem for me is all the people who are trendy types. " Look at me..I'm like cool...I'm like an ice-climber...I'm a like peakbagger...I'm like a regular on the trails..." I'd love to hang out with like-minded, mature adults who are beyond the infatuation with image, share a few quality brews and talk hiking.

I'm repulsed by a dude with a wool hat inside a tavern, talking about his exploits loudly enough for all to hear. They all seem obsessed with looking like they live in the woods, even though they live in a city hours away. Yawn...

So, if you're looking for the hip phonies...Moat Mt. Brewery. Actually, my wife and I ocassionally go there for the entertainment value to goof on tourists trying to look hip. The beer and food is absolutely excellent.

For normal company, excellent food and a wonderful, authentic atmosphere, try May Kelly's. On Sunday afternoon, local musicians gather and play Irish folk music for food and beer. The atmosphere they create is priceless. Try the meatloaf and a "Sminicks"...I'm not kidding.

Would you care to describe Normal Company. Because I totally disagree with this post. I as a wool wearing local have found quite just the opposite in your summary of their clientele wether it be local or from afar. At least you like the Beer and Food .

In North Woodstock there's also Truants,

Truants is a nice place and all but I find the people who work there have a real attitude towards anyone who is not a local and a regular.

If the weather is warmer I like to head to Fresolone's in Lincoln and sit on the back deck right next to the Pemi. Nothing like a good pizza and cold beer (or two or three...) after a hike.

If I'm further up north I love to go to Mr. Pizza in Gorham. The place has a nice sports bar atmosphere and I always see plenty of hikers at the bar talking about their hikes.

If I'm REALLY up north I like the Buck Rub Pizza Pub in Pittsburg; even though it's past the WMNF. The pizza and nachos are great but the rest of the menu leaves much to be desired. During the summer (which is when I go there) you usually find plenty of kayakers.

Like others in this thread I am also a fan of The Common Man. The one in Lincoln is a great place to go after doing any of the hikes along the Kanc.

Last edited:
Don't forget the growlers!!

Woodstock Station has among the cheapest growlers you'll find at any microbrewery.. last check was $7.50 or $8... sometimes the best way to beat a crowd: pick up a growlah, and walk back out... Moat's half-gallons are quite a bit more expensive, but last I checked they experimented with product more than the Station...

Also, at the Station... Make sure you go 'downstairs', to the brewpub bar.

As for attitude @ the Station, I've never seen it.. but then again, I often walk in with locals, and have a mug club-priced pint of Pemi in front of me before my butt meets the stool. :D

Also on the Lincoln side, Gordi's can be fun, but is more apres ski... another vote for the Penalty Box.. a bit more local, but good fun..

Years ago I worked at the Woodstock Inn during thier first season, after the station had been moved over from the Lincoln. The place was loud and busy on the weekends during leaf season. I will never forget a time in midweek after the foliage and crowds had blown away. The area in early November was quite almost desolate. I was in the station area and met a couple. At first glance they looked all slick and urbane, some what phonie. I started to chat with them, there was no one else around. She was Lebonese and he was a reporter from Time magazine covering Lebenon in the early 80's during all of that war and turmoil. They needed the peace and tranquility to refresh thier souls. They wanted to interact with the locals as part of thier experience. I owe them alot because they help me get out of the us vs them, local vs tourist mentality.

Gorham: Mr. Pizza apres, but the funky place with the tin ceilings for breakfast;
N. Conway: Moat Mountain, hands (not thumbs) down;
Lincoln: I'm a new Common Man fan, but that may be in large part because we got to sit right in front of the fire; I like Woodstock Station, and the only problem I've ever had there has been that it's often crowded.

I find I rarely have issues with service anywhere. Maybe I'm just willing to put up with more "personality" because I've worked in restaurants.:confused:

We may be the unusual Hikers, but "the beer" is definitely not our priority, although on many occassions we have stopped for Pizza and a beer,to replenish our energy after a long hike.
After one memorable 20 mile excursion around the pemis we found "The Landmark" in North Woodstock open and had the most wonderful authentic Greek food.I don't know if they are still there, they were a "summer only" Restaurant as I recall, but if they are open, I highly recommend them. Try the Greek Coffee for a boost.

Last edited:
If you like Chinese food you should try the Imperial Palace in North Woodstock. Don't be put off because you've been hiking. I know the owner is a snowboarder and the bartender is a skier. They don't mind stinky hikers. Just ask to sit in the bar area next to the windows next to Rt 112! The sushi is great too.

I prefer GH Pizza in Lincoln for pizza in the area. I like the greek style.

Did anyone mention Fabyan's Station in Bretton Woods? We love that place.

Ditto.

I never specifically look for places where hikers hang out, but feel comfortable among all the tourists.

I really miss Slick's and the Big Pickle.

If you are hiking in or around the Sandwich/Ossippee area, a great place is the Corner House Inn in Center Sandwich. Eat at the pub upstairs. You can choose from the pub menu or the dining room menu. Good mix of food offerings, and a very nice wine list and great beers on tap. They even have Dog Fish Head on tap! ;)

The service is great, they have a fireplace, couches, games to play a neat bar and entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays on occasion. They don't mind smelly hikers.

The best thing for me is that they have awesome salads and the best beer battered french fries I have ever had. I am sort of a french fry fanatic, so you will just have to trust me on that one! :)

Don't forget the growlers!!
Woodstock Station has among the cheapest growlers you'll find at any microbrewery.. last check was $7.50 or $8... sometimes the best way to beat a crowd: pick up a growlah, and walk back out... Moat's half-gallons are quite a bit more expensive, but last I checked they experimented with product more than the Station...

But, unfortunately, WS does not reuse their growlers like some microbreweries; not sure about Moat. But, I still prefer the Pemi Pale Ale on tap or in growlers over the same in sixpacks. PPA better than Dogfish 90 minutes, me thinks.

Woodstock Inn, Station & Brewery.

They have very good beer and very nice terrace. So good, that we have brought some beers home.
We have stay there 3 days last summer, in our vacation. We have eat there, every day. The food is correct.

And, Butch the brewmaster saved a choking woman's life with the Heimlich Maneuver at a microbrew event last year. The Station rules, even if they do not reuse their growlers.

Last edited:
However, in my opinion, the best post-hike hang-out is the parking lot of the trailhead we just hiked. In the 3 seasons, my family packs a cooler with cold soda and beer, loads of post-hike snacks and goodies, lawn chairs, and a change of clothing. After the hike, we set up our chairs in the parking lot, pop open a cold one, and change out of our grubby boots and socks. After a thorough debriefing, foot massage, and pig out, we drive home. This is the most relaxing way to enjoy the post hike. If you see us, please stop by!

An Ed Hawkins tradition concerning the post-hike cold ones, always PBR's for everyone. And, I do not even like PBR's, but the idea is great.

But, unfortunately, WS does not reuse their growlers like some microbreweries; not sure about Moat. But, I still prefer the Pemi Pale Ale on tap or in growlers over the same in sixpacks. PPA better than Dogfish 90 minutes, me thinks.

Dr. D... I can't say as I'd compare Pemi to the 90... not even the 60.. maybe Shelter Pale? But i'm obviously fine-slicing. I'm a Station fan.. 90's are just plain..

OK.. but that's enough of the beer-hijack... another after-hike hangout is waist-deep in the Pemi, or in a canoe on Profile Lake.. yes, in both cases, casting for trout as the light dies........

Dr. D... I can't say as I'd compare Pemi to the 90... not even the 60.. maybe Shelter Pale? But i'm obviously fine-slicing. I'm a Station fan.. 90's are just plain too boozy to compare to Pemi.. different animals, both quite nice...

OK.. but that's enough of the beer-hijack... another after-hike hangout is waist-deep in the Pemi, or in a canoe on Profile Lake.. yes, in both cases, casting for trout as the light dies........