after-hike hang-outs in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thumbs up:

Gorham- Mr. Pizza
Glen- Shannon Door
Conway- Cafe Noche
E. Kanc- Almost There
W. Kanc- Woodstock Station

Thumbs down:

Moat Mountain Brewery (bad service, overpriced food)
Pizza Pub (no air conditioning in summer)
Fabyans (freezing cold in winter)

However, in my opinion, the best post-hike hang-out is the parking lot of the trailhead we just hiked. In the 3 seasons, my family packs a cooler with cold soda and beer, loads of post-hike snacks and goodies, lawn chairs, and a change of clothing. After the hike, we set up our chairs in the parking lot, pop open a cold one, and change out of our grubby boots and socks. After a thorough debriefing, foot massage, and pig out, we drive home. This is the most relaxing way to enjoy the post hike. If you see us, please stop by!

We have frequented the Yankee Smokehouse for years, as we used to have a house on Ossipee Lake. However, we always referred to it as "The Pig Place". In my opinion, the quality has steadily dropped through time, or maybe I am getting fussier.

(Oh, yes, leaving out the "est" triggered my editorial response also)

Interesting thought about the Pighouse. I've been eating there with some regularity, due to nearby house, since '89. The fries have never been good, and they've added a little variety to the menu, a few basic wines. Still really limited. Hard to remember what ribs you had 20 years ago exactly tasted like. There is some variability, I'm sure, but I would say that on average, theirs are better than Moat, below Blue Ribbon in Arlington, sort of on a par with Redbones in Davis Sq. (which has four different kinds, however). Best is down south, no question.

"De gustibus..." is not a quote from a Classical author - just an anonymous proverb, probably Medieval. It can be found in both forms, and I think the "est" is superfluous in such a saying.

Another notable mention is Yokohama in Gorham. Very, very good.

Yea, true, the Scorpion Bowl, a family (over 21) favorite. Her Mai Tai's are good too. I used to clean the restaurant kitchen for them years ago and Charlie's wife made the best Mai Tai. She used to use different ingredients then most. I swear it was almond extract or something like that. Nice family too, the daughter's were always nice to me and my wife and the service has always been good for us even after the passing of many years.

"FYI on Marys Pizza, Great Pizza, no beer. "

I haven't been in about 4 months, but the last time I was there, probably September, I had several Sam Adams Lagers. Those most certainly were made of the same ingredients as beer. :) Maybe it's time to try it again, especially since you live right down the street.:D

KDT

Last edited:
There was a Quiznos at the 302-3 intersection. I think they are out of business and replaced by a New York style deli. does anyone know agout this.

Just think borscht,a sliced beef tongue sandwich, and blintzes after a hike.

There was a Quiznos at the 302-3 intersection. I think they are out of business and replaced by a New York style deli. does anyone know agout this.

Just think borscht,a sliced beef tongue sandwich, and blintzes after a hike.

I believe the Quiznos is gone. I checked their website and there is no listing for it anymore. They had awful hours anyway (like 11am-3pm the last time I was there).

We just drove by there and I noticed that it is indeed signed as a NY Deli now. We did not stop in.

By the way, I expect most folks are coming from the wrong direction, but the barbeque place in the orange camper in Bethel Maine has great barbeque. All he has is a couple of outside picnic tables but he is open year round and the Good Food store on the opposite side of the parking lot has a full selection of beverages. The place is on Rt 2 north of downtown Bethel opposite the Irving station. I would rate his barbeque well above the Yankee Smokehouse in Ossipee plus he is quite a character (he has to be working in a 30 year old summer trailer in a parking lot in the mid winter).

Woodstock Inn, Station & Brewery.

They have very good beer and very nice terrace. So good, that we have brought some beers home.
We have stay there 3 days last summer, in our vacation. We have eat there, every day. The food is correct.

Charlie's wife made the best Mai Tai. She used to use different ingredients then most. I swear it was almond extract or something like that.

I couldn't pass this one by, as I have definite views on the making of Mai Tais. Trader Vic's original and excellent recipe contained just three ingredients - rum, curacao (but another clear orange liqueur would do, such as Cointreau) and orgeat, which is almond syrup. So, Charlie's wife is a cocktail traditionalist, to be applauded. Since orgeat may be hard to find, an update I like is:

- One part dark rum,
- One part amber rum,
- One part amaretto (or other almond liqueur)
- One part Cointreau
- A little Grenadine, mainly for the pink tint people have come to expect.

To get back on track, I recommend mixing up and imbibing a pitcher of these in the spacious parking lot of the Pighouse before strolling in for your rib feast, as they serve only beer and wine (and the latter not so hot), for adult beverages.

Toe Cozy and UnaDogger, I can definitely see reason for dissent with Woodstock Station and Moat Mountain, though both were tops on my list... I will cop to three things being strong influences:

* The beer in both places is outstanding, and consistent with my strong desire to live the "100-mile Diet", at least where beer is concerned :)

* Both places are EXTREMELY kid-friendly. Since I almost never get to go out to eat without at least two small people with potential for growth in tow, this is always a big factor. The atmosphere in both places is fun, with lots to look at (you can play I Spy till your eyes roll from your head at Woodstock Station), while avoiding the excessively manufactured feeling you get at TGIMcFunster's

* The beer

I have definitely endured slow service in both places, and I avoid the bar at Woodstock Station because it is usually too crowded to get an elbow in, and I am too old to fight for a spot.

Waumbek, pretty sure "very locally flavored crowd" in this case probably indicates freezer-burned and redolent of woodsmoke. :D

Woodstock Station is good and if you, like me, go down to the bar, the service is good too. The food and brews are top notch.

I like the Plymouth Common Man better than the Ashland one for atmosphere, though I stop at both.

Ditto on these 2 spots. I've been to Woodstock Station just to hit the bar and did a couple of overnights out of there. I found the service good, customers nice and friendly, and employees very accomadating. I haven't been to Common Man much, but the times I have it was good. Food and other patrons were fine.

I never felt like an "out of towner". These places need the business, especially now. It would be suicide to get a rep for bad service to hikers, skiers, etc at this point.

Home

I am truly fortunate to live in the Whites and not worry about long monotonous drives, or where to eat after hikes. I know where the best food is, HOME! It is also the most relaxing, because I can strip off those sweaty clothes and shower prior to eating.

LIFE IS GRAND IN B-TOWN!!!!!

Woodstock Station and Moat Mt. both have good beer and food. The last time I was at Moat Mt with the family we had there family style bbq dinner (need 4 people) which was all u can eat. Have not been there for years do to moving south.

Horsefeathers I always liked but find it not so kid friendly and is crowded.

Tried the new pizza place in Gorham on Friday- Gorham House of Pizza. Greek style pizza, very much like the Athen's of southwest NH. Did not notice if they had beer, but did have Moxie (as Mary's also does).

Casual quick serve atmosphere.

I don't think the Sunday River Brewery pub just east of Bethel on rte 2 has been mentioned, beers are great and menu ok. Very crowded when the ski area closes for the day.

Am I the only person who thinks Wang's on Main St in Berlin is actually the best Chinese food on earth? The folks are also overwhelmingly nice.

Last edited:
I really hate the Woodstock Station. The servers always have an 'attitude'. I understand slow service, but can deal without the attitude.

Two words: Moat Mountain. Never had food there that wasn't excellent or service that wasn't friendly. I can't imagine it being any cheaper, either; very fairly priced for the area.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned Chef's Market almost across the street from IME in N. Conway. Small sitting space but exceptional, quick food when you don't feel like sitting down to a formal meal in grubby, sweaty hiking clothes. The crab cakes are YUMMY.

I am truly fortunate to live in the Whites and not worry about long monotonous drives, or where to eat after hikes. I know where the best food is, HOME! It is also the most relaxing, because I can strip off those sweaty clothes and shower prior to eating.

LIFE IS GRAND IN B-TOWN!!!!!

Whoopieee!!! Let's all go to bandana4me's house for a shower and the best food in the Whites! Let's say, showers and dinner for 40 ...:eek::D

I separate "hang out" from food, bar food generally not being high on my list of "good" food. More often than not the "hangout" is my tequila tailgate for me and anyone I'm hiking with along with an occasional stranger.

My favorite restaurant is Govonis in North Woodstock, when it's open. Woodstock Inn would be my second choice in the area but the food is average and I've also sensed the "attitude" expressed by others ... like the waiter is so cool as to be doing us a favor just being there. Instead, I prefer to keep driving south to Hermanos in Concord, Mexican food which is far superior to the usual beans/cheese/greasy chips fare found in most, especially the chains.

North Conway has such a variety that it's always fun to search out a new place. Though I'd go back to a couple of them, I can't think of one that is memorable beyond the company I was with except for Cafe Noche ... notice a trend there?