Allen for my W46 on March 9th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great day for a finish, we were too fast , the sun didn't come out until 5, and then it was gone way too fast. cloudy and snowy all day. but a hard packed trail, and a couple of jumps across a scream or two, and we made it to the top in 7 1/2 hrs.

Allen is a long slog whether its summer or winter. This was the first hike were I actually ate all of my food! I did not make the summit. A misstep sent me sliding down the slide that took me so long to climb up and I have the black and blue spots to prove it. Next time, crampons for the slide. Oh well. It was still a great day and I was glad I made it most of the way with Spence and Brian.

Congratulations guys! There'll be a lot of people from the various forums being officially ushered in to the W club at the dinner this year...

I'm sooooo envious! Congratulations to you both, and nice pics, Brian. I'm going to have to wait until '09 for my "w". See you at the end of the month if you guys go to the w-dinner (Spence, will you autograph my "Other" book?). :D

Took you long enough :eek: .......... haha.

You guys are the greatest. Way to go.

p.s. did Brian ever get cold, or like feel one einsy bit of discomfort along the way. Just asking. :D

What A Nice

First, congrats to both of you.... :)

You two look so warm on top of Allen...it looked almost Florida like...what was the temp.?

How deep was the snow? That one shot of the Marcy sign looked serious. :D

Allen

Did you make it?
Wish I was as smart as you. I spent 13 hours on Allen on March 8th in a constant rain. Never been so wet in my life. My buddy is going for his 46 and we were determined to get it for and w/ him. An epic adventrure and achievement.
-Carl

Oh the butt-sliding was not to be believed. First of all, on our day, March 9, we were soaked and still the idea of sitting down onto wet snow was less than appealing. But given the steepness of the pitch, you really have no choice. Then it's just too fun to stop.

But stopping became next to impossible. Shooting out of the forest onto the slide was dangerous. The slide had little cover left and dragging poles wasn't doing the trick. Pushing down on the snow-shoe crampons would have sent us somersaulting and having kicked steps up the slide left indents which hoit careening down. Not for the faint hearted. It was great.

-Carl, 4258W