Am I Seeing What I Think I'm Seeing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I've been seeing this for the last couple of days, but I wasn't sure. It's faint, but it's there, I think. It wasn't there 10 days ago. Are you seeing it too in these photos I took today? Look at them full-size and concentrate on the 3000-4000' zone. I didn't photoshop them other than to resize. (And, yes, I took my meds this morning, all of them.)

Sticks and I saw recently fallen red maple leaves laying on the Garfield Trail last Saturday...as far as meds go, the voices in my head haven't come to a concensus about whether to take them or not...group decisions can be so difficult. ;)

Uh, which are better, MSR's or Tubbs?

Early fall.....

I'm sorry I didn't read it fully but our local paper ran a story about the maple trees being affected by some disease. Like I said I didn't have time to read it all but alot of our local trees are turning brown (not attracive) and the leaves are falling. :(

We noticed a lot of that same coloration in the trees yesterday on Shrewsbury and Killington Peaks. It seems awfully early for foliage and the pale rust color looked more sickly than the beautiful foliage to which we are accustomed.

I first noticed it a couple weeks ago on my Twins-Galehead hike. I was up on Franconia Ridge today and the trees were very noticeably coloured. I thought it seemed early, but I think that every year...
-vegematic

As I was driving home from work today along I-190 from Worcester I noticed lots of yellow leaves on birch trees. I was thinking it was awful early for the leaves to be turning! Then my next thought was SNOW and ICE!!! :)

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I found a few links of interests.

http://extension.unh.edu/News/FoliarD.htm

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/local_story_222160633

http://cbs4boston.com/newhampshire/local_story_222132357.html

Looks like the Fall Foliage may be a little less colorful this year but the trees should recover for next year.

And I thought last years foliage was terrible, one of the worst I can remember. It lasted a long time, but it was dull. It can't get any worse, can it??

grouseking

I noticed the same thing on the Kenduskeag Trail last Saturday.

Neil said:
Uh, which are better, MSR's or Tubbs?
Don't get me started. I'm ready for winter, but it's still August.

MSR ;)

They are just plain fed up with the heat to and are trying to move things along! :D

We didn't take our meds!

Rick said:
TREES???????!!!
Hell!! I was looking for a UFO!!!!!!!!! :D

Me too! I had to read the other posts to figure out what I was l really looking for. I saw something in the sky then had to use my fingernail to get a spot of goop off my computer screen. :eek:

1. I think every year people comment about the leaves seeming to turn early. We forget that summer is short. The bright green colors of early summer/mid summer fade and the leaves lose a little something. So the hillsides look different than they did in early July and we notice that. (IMO) Of course yellows and reds are a lot different than greens that have lost that summer feeling.
2. Don't stressed trees change color sooner. (I think that's what I've heard) And there are lots of things that can stress trees. Things like hikers off their meds and UFOs. (just kidding).
3. Climate change creeping up on us???

The question is meta-physically absurd. How can I know what you see? Even worse, how can I know what you think you see.

It seems that every year, people say, "The leaves are changing early this year". Seems to happen right about this time.