Any other newbie downhill skiers out there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - Pats Peak in central NH on Saturday night (3-10pm) is just $32 for lift ticket AND skiing or snowboarding rentals.

It's a phenominal place to learn for brand newbies, although if you have already skiied all the greens at Bretton Woods, you have probably already outgrown Pats Peak.

una_dogger said:
but when I look at the dwindling patches of snow in our backyard, I have to ask, how good can the snow be at Nashoba right now??

Don't be fooled by what is in your own backyard...you might be surprised what snowmaking,grooming and few extra feet of elevation can do.
Doesnot look like too many Greeners are coming out of the woodwork to ski with you so far. Might a suggest a VFTT "Ski Day" for all abilities. Blacks and Blues can ski with Greens and still have fun. :eek:

Does anyone here know and do the wall chair exercise? It's excellent for downhillers.

rocket21 said:
I know it's a certain phobia of sorts - I saw that type of thinking especially when I used to teach alpine skiing - but it's okay to ski a small ski area :) Nashoba's lifts (other than not having detachables), snowmaking, and grooming are comparable to Wachusett. You're really not getting a limited area - you're getting just as much variety, just in smaller bursts. It really works wonders, both in terms of development and savings, to practice and learn at smaller areas - then when you get to go up north, you can enjoy it that much more!
Smaller areas with easier trails are good for working on technique. That and getting in shape early in the season.

Which is what I was doing yesterday--44 laps * 240 ft for a total of ~10.5K vert feet.

Doug

prino said:
sorry Doug but 44 laps * 240 ft is only 3.218688K

TDawg said:
I'd check your math before calling out Dougpaul. ;)
He is giving the equivalent (to far too many decimal places) in meters and failing to state his units.

I clearly stated my units as "ft".

Sorry Phil, you are on the wrong side of the border... :)

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
He is giving the equivalent (to far too many decimal places) in meters and failing to state his units.

I clearly stated my units as "K vert[ical] ft".

Sorry Phil, you are on the wrong side of the border... :)

Doug

Sorry Doug... I thought K stood for KILO as in metric as in Kilometer.... just another stoopid Kanajun :D

Second for Pat's Peak as a newbie spot / trick of the trade

Unadogger -- so glad you're having a great season. I remember how happy you were with your "breakthrough day" on New Year's weekend. I agree with several folks' views -- keep taking lessons on a regular basis to avoid the dread Intermediate Plateau. Once you get comfortable turning and stopping on harder greens and easier blues, you'll be amazed how much good a little coaching and tweaking can do.

I also would second Pat's Peak as a great compromise between the MA molehills close to home and the 'big mountains' up north... at 750 vertical, with some good lifts, and a good variety of terrain for a small area, you can do a lot of learning there for a modest drive and good prices.

One more tip: consider taking a group lesson on Sunday afternoon. I know here at Waterville, after the 10am lesson, there's rarely anyone in lineup for the 1pm Sunday afternoon groups. The odds of having a lesson all to yourself are pretty good. Also consider looking for a group-lesson coupon book (Waterville Valley has a flex-pack of five lessons for $150, or ten lessons for $270) -- you can usually get a pretty good discount on the average cost, and they're typically transferable, so you and Michael J could even split a few discounted lessons (not that Michael J needs lessons!).

Things are looking up for significant snows (up north, anyway) for tomorrow night and again into the weekend, should polish things up nicely. Enjoy!

DrewKnight said:
I also would second Pat's Peak as a great compromise between the MA molehills close to home and the 'big mountains' up north... at 750 vertical, with some good lifts, and a good variety of terrain for a small area, you can do a lot of learning there for a modest drive and good prices.

I agree, and would also note the great '50s retro vibe in its base lodge - family-run (I think) and the antithesis of Corporate (at least it feels that way).

For those in the Wachusett/Pat's Peak market, Crotched Mountain is also a good one - big snowmaking system as well as the most peak season operating hours in New England (including late night skiing).