AT - Alpine Style

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's check the calendar. OK, it's not 4/1.

I didn't think it would be possible to cram 112 pounds of food into a pack that size - he must have run it through the trash compactor a few times.

I really like my Golite pack - but it has never handled loads very well that exceeded GoLite's recommended comfortable load. He will be exceeding the recommended comfortable load of the Oddyssy by 2 1/4 times.

Its also hard to imagine the impact that weight will have on his joints - he ain't exactly a spring chicken. Well, I wish him the best and look forward to reading about his experience.

He's basically carrying 95% of my body weight in his pack! He also seems to have 2 pairs of trailrunners on his pack, thought he said he was only carrying 1 pair of extra shoes... But that is pretty neat anyway, more power to him, wonder how far he'll make it.

Jay

Cool concept! That is a lot of weight to be carrying but it's kind of an interesting experiment to see how far you can make it without resupply. I'm guessing he's getting in good shape for this thing and to break the record he has to go ~15mi/day.
I'll be interested to also see the stats after the trip - lbs carried and daily mileage should be interesting.

"A GoLite Ultra 20* Bag Top, basically a 2nd sleeping bag to keep my food from freezing at night."
This I don't get, though. I don't think I've heard of many AT thru-hikers sleeping with their food to keep it warm. Hopefully he'll be able to keep that mass of food untouched by critters.

Godspeed! I'm sure he'll break the record.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
"A GoLite Ultra 20* Bag Top, basically a 2nd sleeping bag to keep my food from freezing at night."
This I don't get, though. I don't think I've heard of many AT thru-hikers sleeping with their food to keep it warm. Hopefully he'll be able to keep that mass of food untouched by critters.
I was wondering about this as well. It doesn't sound like a very sound way to "critter-proof" your vittles. But, then again, I wouldn't want to hang a 100lb food bag every night!

cbcbd said:
Cool concept! That is a lot of weight to be carrying but it's kind of an interesting experiment to see how far you can make it without resupply. I'm guessing he's getting in good shape for this thing and to break the record he has to go ~15mi/day.
I'll be interested to also see the stats after the trip - lbs carried and daily mileage should be interesting.
In order to go farther w/o resupplying, he should hike when it's berry season. :D I guess that it does take time to stop and pick though. Oh well!

Personally, I think this is just a publicity stunt! :eek:

cbcbd said:
Seems a little odd since he is likely carrying mostly dry food to save weight. Of course, if he were really serious, he'd be carrying (Indian) pemmican.

The bears may be well fed... :)

Doug

I ran into this guy on the Long Trail in 2004. He was doing the LT alpine style then, north to south. I was about 4 days from the end and he was I want to say out on his second day, maybe it was the third since it was closer to morning I think.

Here is what I wrote in my journal on the encounter that night.

Two minutes after leaving Whiteface Mountain, I ran into a southbounder.
“I must be almost there,” he said.
I confirmed he was, but was taken aback as he was hiking only in shorts and boots. He asked if I was thru-hiking. I was, I told him. He was too, alpine style. That means with no resupply.
“Wow,” I said without true enthusiasm. “Good luck.”
I wasn’t convinced it could be done, or at least not that it could be done enjoyably.
When he tells me he hiked the John Muir Trail last year this way I start to pay attention. He asks if I’ve ever heard of Golite. It turns out he’s the guy who invented it.
“Wow!” again, this time with feeling.
His name is Coup. I tell him about my sleeping bag and how I’ve looked at Golite packs, but they aren’t made for 14’’ torsos like mine. He recommends I try the speed hiking 24 pack. Will do.

He did make it that year. There was an article I read about it later, possibly on the Golite website. HYOH, right?

I also ran into him on the LT. To say that I wasn't impressed is an understatement. It was a rather one sided conversation of how he does it right, and I do it wrong. Different strokes for different folks, as long as it's his way was all I got out of it. Walking away, I was thinking "Go-Lite? Go home!"

Good luck to him. I'll choose to do what I do because I love it, not to prove I'm better than anyone else.

Early Bird said:
HYOH, right?
Apparently that's not his motto :rolleyes: (but I did add HYOH to my disclaimer). Cool encounters, though. At least he's "out there". 2.8 lbs per day of consumables seems high. It'll still be a freakin' heavy pack half way through his hike. It'll be an interesting story, regardless, if it's told.

onestep said:
Well, the last 100 miles should be fun. :rolleyes: :D :D

LOL! I was thinking along the same lines!

Just my 0.02 but if I were trying to carry 127 pounds I think I'd go with an external frame pack! Might have spared him the need to carry three sticks of Body Glide!

:p

Interesting concept, though, all joking aside, to see how far one can go before resupply.

My question: how many pizzas and pints of Ben and Jerry's can one hungry backpacker eat after 40 days and 40 nights with no town visits??!!

How is this proving anything about lightweight gear? By the time he gets down to 15 pounds it won't matter if it's 15 or 50, either will feel great! An extra sleeping bag to keep his food from freezing?

If he does it, congrats, but it won't make me run out an buy golite stuff. I'll just be impressed that he muscled through 127 lbs. I tried 85 once for about a mile- I though for sure some part of my body was going to snap with each step.

IMO the only thing about this being "Alpine" is that he is not resupplying. When most climber's go Alpine they are looking to go light and fast. Maybe this guy is going fast but he sure isnot going light until the latter part of his trip when he has widdled down his food supply. An interesting approach and the best of luck to him....but I would find a new term other than Alpine style thru hiking to describe this hike. I have some Golite Gear and like it for certain situations but I would concur with Sherpa Kroto that their whole gig can be a bit...let's say narrow minded.

skiguy said:
IMO the only thing about this being "Alpine" is that he is not resupplying. When most climber's go Alpine they are looking to go light and fast. Maybe this guy is going fast but he sure isnot going light until the latter part of his trip when he has widdled down his food supply. An interesting approach and the best of luck to him....but I would find a new term other than Alpine style thru hiking to describe this hike.
It did seem to me that he was rather misusing the term "alpine style"...

Doug

DougPaul said:
It did seem to me that he was rather misusing the term "alpine style"...

Doug
Hey, give him credit. At least he isn't hiking the AT "siege style" and leaving fixed lines and caches everywhere! :D

cbcbd said:
Hey, give him credit. At least he isn't hiking the AT "siege style" and leaving fixed lines and caches everywhere! :D

Sherpas and yaks to carry his gear....

cbcbd said:

Just to be a bit of a Devil's Advocate :) If he were going to siege he could resupply at intervals and then Alpine through hike in the vein of going light.

Last edited: