Baxter: Chimney Route, Knife Edge, Baxter, Hamlin Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone would be skiing the Chimney in those conditions. It doesn't get the sun that the Hamlin chutes or the Saddle get. In fact, it doesn't seem to get much sun at all until very late in the day.

There isn't much that hasn't been done and surely someone's done it but of all the people I've talked with about skiing BSP steeps, the Chimney has never come up as a goody.

I think Rob T. said it takes 80 feet of snow to cover the lower chockstone and all we saw of it was the ice on top of it over which we climbed...

Sue, Guy or MEB - he did say 80, didn't he?

Thanks. I think that Dave Getchell Sr and Dave Getchell Jr, Baxter winter regulars in the late 70s and early 80s, were some of the earliest to ski the Chimney, but they may have skied it earlier in the winter, as I recall that the lower chockstone had to be jumped, but I am sure not 80 ft. Even when we climbed the Chimney in the summer, I do not believe that we had to make more than a few moves to get over it, which is also what we found in late December, so I am guessing 20 to 30 ft? I will see if I can find some old photos. A really neat route no matter.

WAY TO TEASE ME WITH THOSE PICTURES!!:p

I am definately going back to Baxter next year.
While you guys were climbing the Chimney I was playing golf in Arizona. Golf was fun but certainly not nearly as fun as climbing the Chimney would have been!

Put me on the list for next year - Use a pen!

There isn't much that hasn't been done and surely someone's done it but of all the people I've talked with about skiing BSP steeps, the Chimney has never come up as a goody.
It looks like it would be a fun and possible ski but I'm guessing that Chimney Pond probably gets more climbers than skiers in the winter and most skiers going in there would probably just head into the Great Basin and just pick one of the many lines right in your face.
Chimney probably never gets into a freeze/thaw spring snowpack if it gets no sun. It's probably a line you'd have to catch on a cold winter day after a good dump and ski it while it's dry powder. Don't know how windy it gets in there... maybe you could find some fun and edgeable wind buff too. Would be fun to check out... but I think going into Chimney Pond again I'd go just for climbing.

Last edited:
WAY TO TEASE ME WITH THOSE PICTURES!!:p

I am definately going back to Baxter next year.
While you guys were climbing the Chimney I was playing golf in Arizona. Golf was fun but certainly not nearly as fun as climbing the Chimney would have been!

Put me on the list for next year - Use a pen!

woody - you and alan were missed for sure. We had a blast last year too - just got luckier this year with better weather and conditions.

I would love in on this trip, if at all possible. Can I put in for a friend as well and call it a party of two?

OOOPS! Guess that's what happens when you are out of the loop for so long.

Thanks Tom but September will be tough with school and all. I was looking for a winter trip up the Chimney over the Knife Edge and down the Saddle.