Baxter: Chimney Route, Knife Edge, Baxter, Hamlin Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome! I gotta make it up there and look past all the red tape.
the pics are making me wonder why i am not driving to maine this spring instead of flying out west!

nice job.

Baxter Rules!
Thanks Spencer for orgainizing the trip....what a group! You guys and gals are just way too much fun.
After seeing the pictures of the climb up the Chimney Route it confirmed why I do not climb that stuff.
The new Chimney Pond bunkhouse rocks....a pine marten has taken up residence near the front door so we got to watch him explore around our sleds and gear....pretty cool.
I learned some new words from the urban dictionary...:eek: I'm trying my best not to use them but they slip out every once in a while.
Lasagna adds weight to the sled but not as much as all the climbing gear the rest of the crew carried in.
After my sled jack knifed a few times on the way out I decided to just sled out....got some good speed. I would not call it extreme sledding but in a few spots it was close.
The ski out was delightful and I was thrilled that we beat the weather.
Getting back to work is tough after having so much fun.
Thanks everyone for a wonderful time. Can't wait to get back there.:)

-MEB

Wellity wellity wellity...
What can I say, wish I had been there with you folks! Looks like killer weather on that yellow day. Glad you guys got it in before the weather turned sloppy. Jealous ;)

Looks awesome! I gotta make it up there and look past all the red tape.
the pics are making me wonder why i am not driving to maine this spring instead of flying out west!
Psssh! I'll tell you why... red tape ;) Today is the last open winter day at Chimney Pond for overnights. If it wasn't then you might have a partner to fly over in April and climb the Cilley-Barber! :D (seriously)

Nice trip report and great shots, the Knife Edge in particular.

I am envious -- it makes me want to learn how to do what you guys were doing.

I hate you guys!:D

I was checking the weather and it looked iffy. I am glad you got a climbing day in.

Since you cut the trip short, did you kill all the booze the last night? Anybody puke? Really?

Reactions: arm
Congrats to all of you for teaming up for an incredible looking trip! Especially you rock-solid climbers, thanks for showing us the best a picture can do of being there!:cool: Very fine Tr Giggy and great pics by everyone! Arm your pics really did justice for the knife edge and I haven't been there yet.:eek: Sounds like it was a good thing you had Mean Girls along to keep you fed and behaving!;)

BobC - The "Cleaner" is the fellow that cleans up the crime scene and from what they said they took turns!:D

Great pictures everyone, impressive! I think some day I may even try some ice climbing? Meb, what was that animal you photographed? Amazing you able to get so many pictures. It looked looked like a martin (I looked it up in my audubon mammel book)?

fun stuff !

tough to describe how much fun this trip was, or how lucky we were to be there ... thanks to the Team for an incredible weekend :cool:

reaching Chimney Pond in Winter makes you feel like a bunch of kids in a candy store ... with the door locked behind you, exclusive access to a Winter Playground full of endless options to climb and ski

best trip all Winter ... we say that about BSP every year

finally climbing Chimney Slide and crossing Knife Edge in "Winter" with cool friends was like a dream come true

calendar Winter ended last week ... the ground looked like Winter, the air felt like spring ... permagrin all day :)

wish MEB and Rach decided to climb with us instead of going for a picnic on the knoll ... you would have had no issues with that route ... as Marco Polo the famous bush whacker once said, "Mean Girls Rock !" :p

home baked lasagna, meatloaf, cookies, brownies ... even better than dehydrated eggs

crossed paths with Chris Fithian, who used to be a Gray Knob Caretaker, on his way out from skiing gullies

bummer that friends couldn't join us ... those who couldn't make this trip, others who have been itching to get in there ... next year ?

Reactions: MEB
Stop! Thief! On March 19th, that cute little pine marten stole a ziplock bag from my backpack with two pairs of prescription eyeglasses. (Apparently, it was attracted to contact lens solution in the bag, which was also stolen.)

When I was in Colorado four years ago, I saw a Marten. We were backpacking in RMNP and I went down to a stream a little ways from the campsite to filter some water for dinner. I just happened to look up in time to see its head pop up from behind a partially downed tree. It took me a second to figure out what it was, but once I did, I just sat and watched it scamper around the tree. It was one of those "Woah! I'm in the wilderness!" moments.

Great pictures and report Giggy.
Looks like you guys had a blast.
It's taken me a couple of weeks to get over having to drop out of the trip. Sorry I couldn't make it. Hopefully next time!

Fine TR, giggy, and great photos, all. Looks like the lower chockstone in the Chimney was completely buried? But, the snow conditions in the Chimney appeared to be pretty gnarly for b/c skiing, no? Traversing the Knife Edge in winter conditions was probably the neatest hike that I have ever done in the East, so thanks for bringing back those memories.

I don't think anyone would be skiing the Chimney in those conditions. It doesn't get the sun that the Hamlin chutes or the Saddle get. In fact, it doesn't seem to get much sun at all until very late in the day.

There isn't much that hasn't been done and surely someone's done it but of all the people I've talked with about skiing BSP steeps, the Chimney has never come up as a goody.

I think Rob T. said it takes 80 feet of snow to cover the lower chockstone and all we saw of it was the ice on top of it over which we climbed...

Sue, Guy or MEB - he did say 80, didn't he?