Black Fly Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I was in the northern Lake George region this past weekend and the Black Flies were active but not biting. Very few in the Boloton landing area, but more so as I went north. The worst was in the Pharoah Wilderness area where, though they were not biting, were swarming in big numbers. This isn't surprising as this area always seems to be the buggiest in the region.

I was in the northern Lake George region this past weekend and the Black Flies were active but not biting. Very few in the Boloton landing area, but more so as I went north. The worst was in the Pharoah Wilderness area where, though they were not biting, were swarming in big numbers. This isn't surprising as this area always seems to be the buggiest in the region.
Catskills: None in the cool morning, but lots in the warm afternoon. Thank GOD! no bites yet!

I was getting bitten in the Pharaoh wilderness Saturday; needed a little bug dope.

Sunday in Keene Valley there were a few drifting through the air. They will be out this weekend, unless there's enough rain to keep them down. Definitely getting an early start this year. Usually, the first weekend for bug dope in Keene Valley is Memorial Day...

Black flies are not uniformly found throughout the region, and can change day-to-day. I don't worry much about the bugs - if I want to go, I just go.

They were out on the lower sections of the South Moat trail. They were in the annoying stage, but werent biting yet.

Swarms of them on the shore of Lake Champlain (VT side). Really a good challenge when biking and not trying to swallow 50k of the little buggers!:eek:

They are out in force in the Cats and biting. This past weekend was mild due to the cooler temps, keeps the little suckers at bay. :)

Bring the bug juice. :)

Happy Trails - Cindy

Five Ponds -- Stillwater area

I did a round trip traverse from Wanakena to Stillwater Reservoir May 3-5, Sunday through Tuesday.
On either the first or second day there were about 5-10 black flies total, all day. The other of those days there were none at all.
On the third day, suddenly they were bad. Not the worst, not terrible, but bad. It was ~8AM, when I'd made it up to the NW side of Summit Pond, that they first caught my attention. From then on they were bad. Even in fairly open woods I wasn't going fast enough to keep ahead of them. When I finally got to the Five Ponds trail, the extra bit of speed it allowed me was enough to stay clearly ahead of them. While on the trail, when I stopped to filter or rest, they were on me. This is pretty early in the spring for BF's in this area. But Spring came quite early and has held on.
In those three days I had one unconfirmed sighting of a mosquito-like insect. That's all!
I haven't even started my hiking log report for this trip. I may post that as a TR, but for now I just wanted to make a timely BF report.

[edit: The terrain where this black fly experience took place is at 1,800' - 2,000' elevation. ]

Last edited:
Western ADKs were vicious today! Chub Pond / Gull Lake area
Bug dope, nets, cigars, garlic...bring what you can! The air sharks have returned!:eek:

Was at dads this weekend, near Natural Bridge on Rt. 3, they where horrible... if it wasnt the skeeters it was the black flies BITING!!..hope they get it out of there system in two weeks, LOL....Hey I can dream right...:rolleyes: ;)

On Hermit's Catskill100 hike on Saturday, it was cool and damp in the morning. As the day wore on, the sun starting coming out, the temps warmed, and we were getting swarmed from early afternoon on. I have bites on my arms in a number of places.

Black flys were out and starting to bite in Gorham NH at 1400 feet in the afternoon. Not swarming yet but a noticable increase.

Odds are, any folks at Barnes may be in need of DEET.

Swarming and biting at the Dublin Trail head on Monadnock, but they weren't too bad when hiking. It was too windy at the top for any flying buggers. I was pleasantly surprized as usually they are really bad this time of year.

Swarming and a few bites on Wed., May 13, on Cat and Thomas Mountains, Lake George.

Fewer on Acra Point and Burnt Knob in the Catskills yesterday, Saturday, May 15. That means they're almost done, and the air will be free of bugs for the rest of the summer. Yes, I'm dreaming.