blow-up mattresses in lean-tos?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
Two friends of mine would like the experience of staying overnight in a lean-to. They would need to bring their car-camping air mattresses, which are inflated with a small battery-operated pump.
I'm not sure of the dimensions, but they are quite a bit larger than the standard self-inflating types.
They're willing to carry them a short distance to a lean-to. They got a little put out when I suggested they might not be viewed too kindly. If we were alone, that would be one thing, but there's no absolute guarantee of that.
I really don't know, maybe they would be acceptable. Any opinions?

Last edited:
Trudy said:
They got a little put out when I suggested they might not be viewed too kindly. Any opinions?
If by "not be viewed too kindly" you mean the other campers would be jealous, I agree. ;) I've seen all manor of comfort transported into the woods. As long as they aren't taking up more than their fair space, (which could be a concern) if they can carry it - they can enjoy it.

I am not a lean-to camper myself. However, I have noticed a few small air mattresses in lean-tos as I passed by. They appeared to be no issue with the other less outfitted campers.

I have used an air mattress during my usual bivouacs. It does make things more comfy.

P.S. I hope that I am the only one here who did a double take, initially misreading this thread's title. :eek: :D

Last edited:
I say do whatever works...like Chip says, as long as it's not infringing. Try the lean-to's at the Loj...easy to get to, and easy to bail if the whole experience doesn't work out - plus I think you can reserve them.

What ever melts your buttuh! I agree with the others. If you wanna carry it, and it's within the space that's alotted, why not?

Queen-size alert

My bro-in-law and I booked a lean-to at Roaring Brook in Katahdin, right on the Brook, not long ago. I brought a Wal-Mart queen-size blow-up with battery-powered air-pump, while he had only a trad Therma-rest half-inch pad. By the time my blimp was full, he just barely had room for his skinny pad. (He's a great guy and we're still friends.)

IMHO - If its a reserved lean to go for it. If its a commonal lean to open to first come first served basis (like AT shelters or AMC shelters), and its a popular time of year, I would suggest that this would be bad form. The reaosn for this is that shelter space for one person is usually regarded as the width and length of a sleeping bag (or a standard) thermarest. If you have a couple of oversized air matresses and the shelter is full, it is denying a space of two to someone who normally would have been able to fit it. As there are no "shelter cops" this a matter of courtesy. Sort of the equivalent of taking up two spaces in a parking lot.

Last weekend we were at the Spaulding Mountain Campsite and there is a KING SIZED blow up mattress in the lean to. Someone apparently hauled it up, and left it, the pump is there as well.

We slept in the tent, but a N -S thru hiker told us he napped on it for a few hours that am and WAS really HAPPY it was there.

chinooktrail said:
Last weekend we were at the Spaulding Mountain Campsite and there is a KING SIZED blow up mattress in the lean to. Someone apparently hauled it up, and left it, the pump is there as well.

We slept in the tent, but a N -S thru hiker told us he napped on it for a few hours that am and WAS really HAPPY it was there.

Now that's funny...perhaps Holiday Inn is opening a chain of lean-to's!

Trudy said:
They would need to bring their car-camping air mattresses, which are inflated with a small battery-operated pump.
I'm not sure of the dimensions, but they are quite a bit larger than the standard self-inflating types.

Looking into this further, these are standard bed-sized twin mattresses.
I agree with Amicus, a queen size would be over the top. :)
Opinions will vary, but if I arrived at a lean-to and found two people ensconsed there with two twin-sized air mattresses, to me that sends a signal that they've laid claim and 'moved in.'

That's not the vibe I want my friends and I to give out. But if someone else does show up, we'll be sure to make them welcome.

By the way, I'll be tenting nearby; shelters are not for me.

Size of the air mattresses is a lot more of an issue than how they get inflated, I would think.

Anybody who objects to some kind of pump -- even a battery powered one -- really is wrapped little too tight in my book, as long as the thing isn't being run or used all night.

Twin bed size seems pretty big -- wider than a regular camp cot. Shoved close together they'd take up a queen size bed space width, at least. That's big -- probably the equivalent of about three ordinary spaces in a leanto.

What about renting a leanto at a place like Adirondack Loj for this experiment? State parks in VT also rent leanto shelters. The latter aren't exactly like the Adirondack backcountry shelters, but they are close enough to replicate most of the experience.

G.