Boot Woes.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
About 4 years ago I bought my first pair of Limmers, hiked with them for two seasons and then had them resoled. Hiked with them the following year with no problems and then my fisrt hike with them this spring I noticed the foot sole was separating from the boot.

So, I then bought a pair of EMS Arete and hiked in them about 9 times. On my last hiked one of my feet was soaked...inpecting the boot I noticed a tear near one of the eyelets. Back to EMS they went.

Needing soemthing to wear off to Bean's I go and get a pair of Knife Edge boots which were on sale. Used them for about 1 month, kept wondering why me feet were wet and noticed the seam near the big toe had blown out. I returned them for a second pair.

So, after another month of hiking in the Knife Edge boots I notice yesterday that both seams by the big toe have completely blown out. Uuuuggghh! Seiously, I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with they way I walk??!!

Are boots just not made not last or what? Nomally I would expect a pair of boots to last at least one or two seasons but this is getting insane. I totally expect failure of certain equipment after time and use but one month?

Any recommendations for boot that will not fall apart after a month or two of use?

-MEB

Mary Ellen
Went thru this last year with a pair of REI boots...stitching was coming undone after I walked five miles in the woods near my house...brought them back.
Right now my Montrail Torres are in need of a repair (for the 2nd time) - the metal pieces that you lace around when you are tightening them seem to come out rather easily...so, I have one less spot to tighten.
I wrote to Montrail (who I did not know was part of Columbia) and was promised a response within 24 hours 5 days ago...
I think our hobby is very hard on gear, but we buy gear that should hold up for a reasonable amount of time...
Limmers, Montrail, Beans are not exactly names of casual wear boot makers, and yet I am not that impressed with how they hold up.

Wow

Wow, Have you taken your Limmers back to the boys? I've had mine since 1980 and hiked all over the world in them, often in very wet conditions and they have never failed me. Resoled four times now and still very serviceable. I have hiked with you and know just how powerful a hiker you are but how you manage to kill boots as you do is a puzzle to me. By the way, whenever you are up for the Nancy to Kanc trip. I am ready to go.

TomW

MEB said:
About 4 years ago I bought my first pair of Limmers, hiked with them for two seasons and then had them resoled. Hiked with them the following year with no problems and then my fisrt hike with them this spring I noticed the foot sole was separating from the boot.
Did Limmer resole them the first time? If so, I'd be surprised. If not then definitely email or call Peter Limmer. This should not have happened and he will fix them.

Did you have Dave Page resole the Limmers? I guessing they're from the factory (Meindl?) and not handmade. I think Page's the best cobbler in the country. His resole's on my boots are better than the originals.

MEB....if they were my Limmers I would definietely contact the Limmer boys.
I cannot imagine that they would not make every effort to fix the problem.

Maddy said:
MEB....if they were my Limmers I would definietely contact the Limmer boys.
I cannot imagine that they would not make every effort to fix the problem.

I have Limmer boots and love them. While hiking the Bonds we meet a fellow who bought his 40 years ago for $35 and is still hiking in them!!
Skibones

I have a young "radical terrain" friend and he has owned his Limmers for at least 10 years and really beat on them. Limmer did some repairs x1 and they are still going strong.

If it makes you feel any better, Mary Ellen, my boots never last that long either. (Though I'm surprised to hear that Limmers aren't holding up...)

My current pair of Montrail Torres lasted just a few months before the lace hooks started breaking off. (They are just about a year old now and are missing three hooks... two on the right boot and one on the left. If I lose one more on the right one, I will finally break down and replace them.)

I just patch them up best I can and carry on anyway... if you find a pair of boots that can last a somewhat reasonable amount of time with the amount of hiking you do, let me know... maybe they will work for me too!

- Ivy

I have a pair of the Montrail Torre GTXs that I have had for about a year, they have a few hundred miles on them and are doing well. They are a replacement pair though, the first pair I wore only one day for an Elephant Mt. whack and broke an eye off on the first hour of hiking. EMS replaced them without any questions and the new set has done very well for me. I'm surprised that 3 people have had troble with the lacing eyes, must've been a bad batch.
I also have a worn out pair of Vasque Zephyrs that I love but I carry ample duct tape every time I use them- they will surely catastrophically fail soon, but they fit like socks and are very lightweight. They've managed probably 800 miles. Will probably replace them with another pair of the same.
MEB - you walk so fast you probably are melting the stitching from atmospheric friction :eek:
Damon

I just returned a pair of MERRELL Men's Waterproof Pulse II Mid Boots to EMS. On the 5th day of use, the toe seams blew out and the rubber toe cap was coming un-glued.

Too bad, they were very comfortable.

It's not just the boots.

My first pair of boots came from the Alpine Shoe repair in Calgary, Alberta in 1976 and lasted through 3 pairs of Vibram soles and immeasurable abuse in scree, rubble, snow and trail for nearly 20 years. Finally a hole got worn through above my big toe...

My next pair, purchased in the nineties lasted one trip to the Rockies whereupon they fell apart.

My first backpack pretty much turned out like my boots and it is still in excellent condition. Ditto for my stove and day pack that I still use daily around town.

Gear 30 years ago lasted and lasted. You bought something and you never thought about it, ever again. Those days are long gone. Boots, poles, hydration units, packs, headlamps, you name it- none of it lasts. After 2 or 3 years they are finished and we chuck 'em out and buy the latest, newest, bestest Made in China thingy.

I believe this is referred to as progress.

Our Mileage Does Vary!!

Hey Meb,

I had a pair of Timberlands that held up very well during my 100 Highest campaign.

Now I am using Asolo 555s that seem to be well made and reasonably tuff.

I guess the real question is, How many miles a year are you putting on you boots?

Also, I think I saw you dancing in your boots at the Barely Live concert last week. I don't know any boot that will stand up very well to those long Grateful Dead jam tunes...

cb

Kevin Rooney said:
Did you have Dave Page resole the Limmers? I guessing they're from the factory (Meindl?) and not handmade. I think Page's the best cobbler in the country. His resole's on my boots are better than the originals.

I'll happily second Kevin's recommendation--Dave Page resoled my climbing shoes a few times, and I'm VERY pleased with his work.

MEB, you should definitely take your Limmers up to their shop in Jackson someday and talk with them. They're exceptionally knowledgeable, and they just might be able to help you figure out what's going on. Oh, and they'll fix your boots, too! ;)

I've worn both the Bean's Knife Edge and big leather Limmers, and in all the stumbling, uh, I mean hiking I've done, I've never had seam problems with either. Other brands, yes, but not these.

Bought these since I had some success in the past with Timberland, and this one had some "design help" from Ed Visteurs, I figured what the heck. They got some mixed reviews from various industry rags. I bought them on sale MUCH LOWER than the list price, slipped em on for a short 7mile (roughly) Sunfish pond (delaware Warter gap) loop. now mind you this is a moderate hike at best with NOTHING technical in the least..well needless to say about half the sealed seams on the insteps of BOTH boots began to seperate. Glad I wasn't stuck out in the woods with these babies...Oh well they were returned for a full money back refund and I moved onto something else..

Here is the offending model

http://www.timberland.com/product/i...&cp=1779753.1905061.1836461&parentPage=family

I have had some luck as of late with the new HiTech models..they have come up in the world imho..

M

Yikes!

My custom Limmers are in their sixth season of use now, with nary a hint of weakness or defect in construction or materials. (Of course, I’m no superhiker.)

Back while I was patiently waiting for my boots, I read (on the internet) at least one complaint about delamination of the soles in a pair of Limmers that I gathered were purchased off the shelf. Your description does not make clear that this is the problem (”the foot sole was separating from the boot”) but I noticed on my boots that the outsole is fastened to the midsole not only by adhesive, but by several screws, as well. Maybe that’s the solution for you?

Good luck in your search for properly fitting, serviceable footwear. My quest lasted for too many years, but thanks to my Limmers I am a happy (albeit occasionally grumpy) hiker these days, especially foot-wise.

G.

I do plan on bringing my Limmers back and I'm sure they will be able to help me out and hopefully fix them. They were great the first time I had them resoled and I was in the shop for about an hour or so...they were so willing to help out and explain to me everything I needed to know about boots.

The KE boots were just an interim boot and I brought them back to Beans' yesterday and got a pair of the Cresta....full leather with no seams! So...I'm going out this weekend to give them a test....

If they do not hold up I may just resort to hiking barfeoot :eek: :D :eek:

-MEB

Last edited:
Good luck with the Crestas, MEB. I got over a thousand comfortable miles in a pair before they started to fall apart. I would have bought another pair but I wanted to try something with a slightly stiffer sole and found some Asolos on sale. The Crestas were great for everything except a long day on sharp rocks.

Crestas

Mary Ellen,

Let us know how you make out with the Crestas. I have just about worn the soles on mine down smooth and I am leaning towards just ordering a new pair. I've had great luck with them.

Woody