Calling all Astronomers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
OK I just saw the weirdest thing outside. I live in PA just over the NY border and to the East I can see a gruop of stars that are turning colors. They are turning from blue to orange to a green. They are either stars or something from not around here :D

The sky is crystal clear, there are no lights around and it is almost a full moon. My guess is maybe it is the moon light reflecting? Anybody out there know if there is something in Astronomy Land going on out there :cool:

Thanks!

Adam

It is most likely atmospheric interference causing the color shifts. A couple of times a year, usually on crisp clear fall mornings, I see planets with the naked eye that shimmer and shift colors. It all has to do with some fancy refractory this, wave patterns that.....technical stuff I am not soo good at. :D

Brian

Lots of bright stars/planets in the East in early evening right now, Sirius, Betelgeuse, Procyon, Rigel, Mars, Castor Pollux. Sirius especially seems to twinkle when it is low in the sky.

Tom Past-President/Founder-Mid-Hudson-Astronomical-Association Rankin

http://midhudsonastro.org/

If it's near the horizon (and doesn't have to be very near), it's probably atmospheric motions, especially if it's not too long after sunset and the air's still moving about as it and the ground lose heat.

I think the closest analogy (and not a terribly close one) would be a rainbow...you've got little bubbles of different temperature gas that are moving around and depending on how everything lines up, different colours of the light will get through to your eye.

(Real physicists: yes, it's horrible...but a diffraction grating isn't really a useful analogy.)

OK I just saw the weirdest thing outside. I live in PA just over the NY border and to the East I can see a gruop of stars that are turning colors. They are turning from blue to orange to a green. They are either stars or something from not around here :D

The sky is crystal clear, there are no lights around and it is almost a full moon. My guess is maybe it is the moon light reflecting? Anybody out there know if there is something in Astronomy Land going on out there :cool:

Thanks!

Adam

Pass that thing over to me before it goes out...or hand me your lighter. :p

In the adirondacks one summer I saw a strange flickering star turning from red to green. At first I thought it was a distant jets navigation lights but it never moved and was still flickering green and red. A couple of my friends thought it coud be a UFO:eek: After some research I think it is a phenomena known as atmospheric scintillation.

From Wikipedia:
Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through a medium, most commonly the atmosphere (atmospheric scintillation).

If the object lies outside the earth's atmosphere, as in the case of stars and planets, the phenomenon is termed astronomical scintillation; if the luminous source lies within the atmosphere, the phenomenon is termed terrestrial scintillation.

As one of the three principal factors governing astronomical seeing, atmospheric scintillation is defined as variations in illuminance only, and so twinkling does not cause blurring of astronomical images. It is clearly established that almost all scintillation effects are caused by anomalous refraction caused by small-scale fluctuations in air density usually related to temperature gradients. Normal wind motion transporting such fluctuations across the observer's line of sight produces the irregular changes in intensity characteristic of scintillation. The primary cause of such small-scale fluctuations is turbulent mixing of air with different temperatures.

Scintillation effects are always much more pronounced near the horizon than near the zenith (straight up). Parcels of air with sizes of the order of only centimeters to decimeters are believed to produce most of the scintillatory irregularities in the atmosphere. Atmospheric scintillation is measured quantitatively using a scintillometer.

Scintillation effects are reduced by using a larger receiver aperture. This effect is known as aperture averaging.

Lots of bright stars/planets in the East in early evening right now, Sirius, Betelgeuse, Procyon, Rigel, Mars, Castor Pollux. Sirius especially seems to twinkle when it is low in the sky.

Tom Past-President/Founder-Mid-Hudson-Astronomical-Association Rankin

http://midhudsonastro.org/

Warning: thread drift (apologies Adam)

So Tom, do you navigate on your off trail hikes at night by sextant or gps? I've been curious for years how light and durable a sextant could be made and how practical would it be to travel by at night on land. Would it be much too coarse? And no, I have not ever used one.;)

I've been curious for years how light and durable a sextant could be made and how practical would it be to travel by at night on land. Would it be much too coarse?

Regardless of how good your sextant is, if your watch is off by 30 seconds, that's a 6 mile error in east-west position in the Northeast.