Caution North Conway hikers!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should point this out:

The man was described as blond, 5 feet 10-inches tall, in his early-to-mid-20s, and wearing a baseball cap and camouflage shorts.

Some reports are that the person took off into the woods, so I guess the net net here is if you're hiking in the North Conway area, be careful, and if you see anyone with that description that seems suspicious, contact the authorities when safe to do so.

Lawsuit warning

The NH tourism bureau is currently filing a lawsuit against this guy for keeping 4th of July visitors away, including me, as my wife is now protesting my plans to head up north for a couple of days...thanks.

GNR said:
The NH tourism bureau is currently filing a lawsuit against this guy for keeping 4th of July visitors away, including me, as my wife is now protesting my plans to head up north for a couple of days...thanks.

Is this legit? Can they really sue him in this way? If they do and this sets a legal precedent, the opportunities are endless. I grew up in a slummy rat-hole, and there are a few of my former neighbors I'd like to go after with a lawsuit like this for keeping the value of my house so low.

Thanks for posting this. Great heads-up.

The store manager waited on me a few weeks ago when I was in there. My impression was that he was a nice guy and got along well with his staff. This is confirmed by the news accounts I've seen. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

The link above now states that a potential suspect is in custody.

And the lawsuit remark was a joke, I assume.

sardog1 said:
The store manager waited on me a few weeks ago when I was in there. My impression was that he was a nice guy and got along well with his staff. This is confirmed by the news accounts I've seen. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

I have been in there several times. The manager did seem like a nice guy, my condolences as well to his family and freinds.

Keith

It will take a little time for some of us to settle down and believe the actual perp is in custody.

Yesterday was a long day in the MWV, dealing with tourists who wanted more information than was available.

Breeze

Very Odd

I was about 1/4 mile away, shopping, when it happened. If I had not have stopped, I might have seen (heard) the damn thing happen. I had to backtrack north on 16 and take West Side Rd. There were SWAT dudes and cops sneaking around everywhere, copters in the sky, unmarked cars speeding around. Very odd. I was going to hike that day, but I decided to get home after being delayed.

miehoff said:
I was about 1/4 mile away, shopping, when it happened. If I had not have stopped, I might have seen (heard) the damn thing happen. I had to backtrack north on 16 and take West Side Rd. There were SWAT dudes and cops sneaking around everywhere, copters in the sky, unmarked cars speeding around. Very odd. I was going to hike that day, but I decided to get home after being delayed.

Ya, its been a weird few days even 20 minutes south of Conway...lots of cops, more sirens than normal (unrelated to the holiday), etc. Glad its probably solved.

This was an extremely senseless act of random violence... :mad:
I read in the Boston Globe yesterday that the 2 customers who were killed just stopped in at the Army Barracks on their way home from a week of camping in both Acadia and Baxter State Park. Their goal in BSP was to climb Katahdin...

Sad story for everyone...

Bizarre

Now they are reporting he burned a house to the ground in the very small community where my good friend lives an hour from here - on St. Simons Island GA. He did confess to reporters, saying he killed the folks simply because they fought his robbery attempt. No report yet on why he torched the house, but he looked like a very, very strange and disturbed young man on the TV news, albeit with no sense of conscience or remorse... :(

yea - total waste. now as decent people (likely hardworking contributers to society) die and mourn victims, NH folks have to spend more money feeding, clothing and housing this waster for likely life.

I have no slack for folks who waste away and then take others with them.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sounds like this young man was mentally ill and knew it. I would think that if it's true that he asked to not be released because he felt he was a danger to society, the numerous people who ignored him should be held partially responsible for this outcome. They were in a position to get him some help and at least one of them ridiculed him by telling him to "take a vitamin".
It reminds me of a patient, presenting with chest pain, and some medical person tells them to go home and take Mylanta because they have "indigestion". They are later found dead near their antacid bottle.
Three people had to die for no good reason when the shooter could have been sent to a psych facility for evaluation and treatment.
I wonder when we are going to start to pay attention to people who are telling us by their words and actions that there is something dreadfully wrong or are we doomed to hear these same horror stories on the news over and over again. Unlike the kid at VTEch who refused help (but should have been sectioned 8), this one asked for help and was denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.