Chimney Pond Baxter Trip 3/1-3/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

Fantastic trip report, Guy!! I could sense your every emotion so vividly! I truly know what you mean about Baxter being such a special place like no other and feeling totally enamored with it--I experienced this realization late last Fall when I first got to visit Baxter and am still in awe!!

Thanks for sharing and kudos to you all, especially to Arm for organizing it!! :)

P.S. Too bad BoB missed out on all this adventure as he had to go to Paris, France instead!! :D Poor guy! :p

Wow again!

It's been too long since I was there (25 years) but that report brought it all back but with much, much more intensity being in winter.
I was lucky with a bluebird day in July.

Great report and pictures... thanks guys for sharing!

And more wow!

The stories from Baxter just keep getting better, and your adventure was a gem. Sorry about the weather limiting what you could do, but it sounds like it just made for its own kind of fun!

Great trip report and fantastic photos, all. So many fond memories triggered. One of the finest winter "training grounds" anywhere for the larger ranges.

Giggy: were you able to get a look into the Chimney to see the status of the chockstones? From the photos, looks like the Armadillo route was pretty plastered with snow.

Amazing!

You guys totally ICE! (Sort of like ROCK, only much-much 'cooler'!)

:rolleyes:

So Giggy, are you going to name the next kid Percival? :p

Thanks for a great read with the morning coffee.
I've only been to baxter in the Spring/Summer/Fall.
Looks like I finally need to get there in Winter as well.

:)

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Giggy: were you able to get a look into the Chimney to see the status of the chockstones? From the photos, looks like the Armadillo route was pretty plastered with snow.

Dr D - I did get some really nice views of the chimney from cathedral ridge. the chockstones looked totally covered for the most part, or at the very least would have been easily negociated by going around, etc..but I will still a bit away from the route -

In retorspect, the cathedral ridge climb provided a very nice (as doug also said) recon/information gathering session on the headwall routes. I still can't get over how long the hard grade 4 technical routes are in there like cilley barber and waterfall. My hat is off to anyone doing those.

Its really too bad Baxter doesn't allow chimney pond overnights in april and may becuase I bet it is awesome in there then after the snow gets a bit more consolidated. A 32 mile hike/approach and technical climb might be a bit much for one day :D :eek:

giggy said:
Its really too bad Baxter doesn't allow chimney pond overnights in april and may becuase I bet it is awesome in there then after the snow gets a bit more consolidated. A 32 mile hike/approach and technical climb might be a bit much for one day :D :eek:
I called the Baxter office a couple days ago to try to setup another trip for this season and was told that the Chimney Pond bunkhouse had all 10 spots open on the last day! Apparently, on regular snow years that is already late season and there isn't snow covering the road all the way in... I would imagine that a regular April or May trip would/could involve a lot of pulling a sled on a dirt road/muddy trails... that and to reduce erosion during mud season are probably reasons for the closing.
If you watch "Epoch" by the Meatheads, they head into Chimney during late March and the snow looks really lean - but I think they had special permissions to go in then (and went in with Acadia Mtn Guides and did the 15 miles to CP in a day).
And yeah, I've already toyed with the thought of doing a "stealth" day hike... ;) you can figure - 16 miles to get to the base - not too bad with a daypack on the rolling hills and moderate ups. Then you do your route and that's tough... if it's a day hike then you have everything with you and no need to loop back to Roaring Brook, so you could go down Abol slide after doing your route and that would decrease the number of miles back. :)

Last edited:
thats a good point doug, I didn't really factor in the sled haul over dry road, erosion, etc.. crazy me just assuming its always snowy up there.

yea, I will not be signing up for the dayhike to CP and out abol :eek: ;) :eek:

Last edited:
great trip report ! thanks to the coolest crew of climbing maniacs you could ever hope to go on a BSP Winter trip with, for making it a great week

Chimney Pond Winter trips take alot of planning, alot of effort to get in there, but it's well worth it once you're settled in ... especially if you've got a few full days to play in the Basins :)

avalanche conditions and borderline weather kept us from reaching some of our goals, but we reached our main goal of having a great time

a few things ...

i should have mapped out BSP campgrounds along Roaring Brook Tote Road ... even recent BSP maps don't show Bear Brook Campground, or the trail heading to Katahdin Lake, but do show Avalanche Field, which is no longer there

when we left Togue Pond Gatehouse, i assumed that skiing to Roaring Brook on an 8-mile dead end road would be straight-forward ... never considered that Bear Brook would cause confusion on how far we'd have left until we reached the bunkhouse ... sorry about that, something to consider for future trips

bittersweet moments, watching BSP Crew tear down the old Chimney Pond bunkhouse while we were there ... the new bunkhouse is sweet, but we had some great times in the old bunkhouse

when we snowshoed to the base of Cathedral Trail, the wind blew my favorite hat off ... thought i lost it for good, until i spotted it behind a distant rock, like a drowning man waving for the third time

we played moe., in honour of Shizzy on former BSP trips ... moe. ripped us a new one, and with help by String Cheese Incident, Steve Kimock and Umphreys McGee, we were like the 4-assed monkeys on south park

thanks to the crew ...

Alan, who still doesn't know about his brother Woody glueing sandpaper to the bottom of his sled as a not-so-practical joke ... the hot cocoa marshmellows you offered the team tasted like ear plugs

Doug, who probably climbed Cilley-Barber while we were sleeping ... that verizon service, where you fart into your cell phone, and verizon calls you back and tells you what you had for lunch, was pretty cool ... how it knew we had mexican in Millinocket was amazing

Giggy, thanks for getting this trip started in the first place, always a pleasure to climb with ya ... we'll cross that Knife Edge next Winter after we climb the Chimney

Hamtero, with his humorous stories, especially the one about a guy who chowed beaver skins to save his own life

Jeff, who dropped his toothbrush into the Peehole To China ... still not sure why you were brushing your teeth so close to a hazardous area, or whether you're convinced that it wasn't worth going after it

Jen, with her astral chart that determined climbing ability: major, grande, etc

Woody, thanks for leading ice climbs ... hope Alan forgives you for glueing sandpaper to the bottom of his sled

BoB, who passed up on a chance to visit the mexican place in Millinocket for a chance to learn how to say "Viva La Casa!" in french

Mats, sorry you weren't there to carry kegs across the Knife Edge ... we did push-ups on the summit in your honour

lookin' forward to next Winter !

posted a few videos from the trip
http://www.youtube.com/user/armmon
http://community.webshots.com/user/armclimb