Coffee before a hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee or not

• Yes I drink before a hike

Votes: 93 69.9%
  • No I don't, post and explain why (optional)

Votes: 40 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
David Metsky said:
Nope, I've never drunk a cup of coffee in my life. :)

And you call yourself a computer guy... sheesh!

I love coffee, drink it every morning, but NOT when I hike. If you know me, you can guess why. If you don't, let's just leave it at "tummy".

Always. Never noticed any downsides. I have also never had a problem drinking coffee late and falling right to sleep. If you are really in need of the caffiene hit, I recommend Vietnamese Iced Coffee - Espresso dripped into sweetened condensed milk over Ice! I've never had anything stronger. Once the coffee is gone, let the ice cubes melt and the resulting water tastes like normal strength coffee.

I drink coffee, but not specifically for the hike. I'm not a heavy coffee drinker, usually two cups a day. If I have a long hike ahead of me and I have to drive three miles to the trailhead (frequently happens), the coffee helps the drive. Caffeine withdrawal has been mentioned as a problem, but what about dehydration? Caffeine is a diuretic, though I don't know how much water is actually lost. Anyway, here's an interesting article on caffeine.

Folks have mentioned the dehydration factor. I'd rather have to drink extra water to cancel that out than deal with the headaches. So that's what I try to do -- balance it out by drinking water along the drive up as well.

Dehydration?

Although a di-cantspelltherest, coffee will NOT leave you more dehydrated than if you had not had any. You just will not get the full effect of the liquid. So, for example, drinking a cup, my be only providing you with a half cup of hydration.

Me drink coffee? I'm ALMOST like Dave, however I've been tricked a few times, "Here try this, it doesn't taste like coffee.", and the little old lady, back in '71...

I get my caffine from Tea, chocolate, and Mt Dew.

Ever have a bowl of cherrios with Mountain Dew for breakfast?

Pete_Hickey said:
Ever have a bowl of cherrios with Mountain Dew for breakfast?

Is this a new poll question? If so, I have to say YES.

I also drink lots of water to offset any possible dehydration factor... gotta do it to prevent the addiction headaches!

I am with Pete and Dave. While I love the smell of coffee I HATE the taste! I was a big coke drinker and got my caffine that way for years. About 6 months ago I put up with the headache for 5 days and have not had a drink since.

Every morning

And lots of it, too. I love coffee. I did find a while back though that it was getting me a bit wired in the morning so I changed to the "half-caff" to cut back on the caffeine. It worked.

As far as caffeine being a diuretic, it may make you pee a little bit more than if you had not had any other liquids. But in my case, I drink so much coffee that I pee a lot anyway. Can't tell if it's from the caffeine or just the liquid volume.

The Jiant Joe Jug will be at the Gathering, fully stoked and ready to fire up at 4:30 AM every morning to get us all going. And even if you don't drink coffee, it will still get you going. Ask anyone who's heard it.

teejay

I DO NOT go out ever ever ever without two cups of PEETS coffee!! If I am staying at a lodge or motel, I travel with a French press, mug and sack o'coffee...Triple capuccino for the ride home......yummmmm

Menopause and coffee....pee every half hour and learn to live with it!!

...Jade

I'm another non-coffee drinker and never have been. It's not that I hate it; I have just never developed a taste or a need for it. When I get out of bed, I'm wide awake before my feet hit the floor. I drink lots of tea but it is all decaf. The only time I drink caffeine related to a hike is on the ride home to stay awake. But that's usually always after I've filled up with non-caffeined fluids to mitigate dehydration.

I have read reports that caffeine will enhance endurance performance but only if consumed once your body is up to speed, warmed up and your heart rate & C-V cycles have reached a plateau; not before you start out. I cannot confirm this since I don't consume it.

JohnL

Never used to drink it before a hike but like Neil, I heard it helps in metabolizing fat. I need all the help I can get.

I drink less coffee when I hike than on a normal day at work. On hiking days, it's a quick stop at Dunkin's on the way North and that's it for the day.
At 5 or 6 am, I'm really not aware enough to notice what, if any, effect it has on me.... :)

I admit it, I Love coffee, My luxury item on every hike are my Dean's Beans and a filter. I have found that despite my friends claims to never touch the stuff, they all seem to find me when I am brewing up a cup. Very interesting.......

Rik said:
I don't see this as much of a problem. I usually drink extra water when I leave the car and I rather enjoy writing my name in the snow.

Don't you eat that Yellow Snow... Watch out where the Huskies go! Thanx Frank Z.