ditching the koflachs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHorse

Reaction score
like many on here, i have koflach degres, but i guess i'm not as enamored with them as most seem to be. they work well, and they're pretty comfortable for what they are- but that's just it- they are monstrous, completely inflexible plastic blocks on my feet. i'd like something that felt even vaguely like a shoe/boot, rather than a block. lately, even when the temps are down around zero, like yesterday, i passed on them for my 15 year old vasque sundowners, without any discomfort whatsoever (i am fully aware that things would be different had i been camping/hurt/forced to remain still for too long, etc.). i'm thinking about ditching these things for something like the vasque super alpinista or the la sportiva nepal evo or something of the like- something that more resembles a regular hiking boot. anybody have any experience with either of these boots or something comparable? i imagine that there will be plenty of koflach defenders, but to be clear, i'm not dissing them. i'm just looking for a little more compromise.

Hey, no kidding!

I just rented my first pair (for the crampons), and boy what a drag! As a pair, the boots and crampons were
heavy,
huge (about twice the volume of my Limmers),
awkward,
lacking any flexibility at all in the sole, or the calf,
like walking in ski boots, and
too tall.

I'll buy the crampons out of necessity, but I hope I never have to wear plastic boots again. I'll experiment with any/every alternative until forced. Yucko!

Thanks for starting a good rant,

--M.

Highhorse

Watch the clock go back and forth...Keep watching the clock...you are getting sleepy...tell me they are size 9's and you will sell them cheap...

Don't know much about plastics other than their price tag, ouch! Good luck finding a better fit for yourself.

If money's no object, try a pair of these hush puppies. Or these babies.

The Boreal's are about the most comfortable boot I've ever tried on, and they're a double boot. Still, my Scarpa Inverno's fit great, and have done many 20 mile days in them, so no need to buy a new pair yet.

Nothing wrong with boots other than Koflachs.
Friend of mine used to wear plastics and once he tried the Sportiva Nepal Extremes he fell in love and won't turn back. He uses them for everything from high altitude mountaineering to ice climbing.
If you like double boots, there are others out there that aren't as stiff as Koflachs - ie. La Sportiva Nuptse; Asolo AFS line...

I would try as many different boots as possible and see what works for you. It's really the best and simplest way to do it.

Last edited:
Box stock double plastics are indeed big clunky monsters, but there is a different approach available IF you want plastics over leathers. Find a shop that sells Intuition liners. Get them to fit you with a custom pair of liners and a smaller shell, that's what usually occurs since the shells are made to accomadate more than one size liner. This will most likely result in a smaller less clunky package. A second option is go with a pair of the newer construction insulated boots. Almost all the big companies make a pair with kevlar and thinsulate and a bunch of other high tech goodies. They are not cheap, but sure are lighter and if they feel cold you can always use insulated super gators too. Madrock has a new boot out called the Alpinist that is high tech and cheap. Check their website, they may be what you're looking for, I know I want to try a pair.

Come back from the dark side...come back from the dark side....

I've been saying it for years. Often, the Koflachs are just way overkill around here. A good, solid, leather boot that is crampon-compatible is fine.

wow, those madrocks look pretty good. and for $200?! thanks for the links to the others too kevin. where did you try those boreals on?
dug, i hear you. those orange monsters are usually overkill in the northeast.

HighHorse said:
wow, those madrocks look pretty good. and for $200?! thanks for the links to the others too kevin. where did you try those boreals on?
dug, i hear you. those orange monsters are usually overkill in the northeast.
Highhorse -

Tried them on a couple of years ago at the Fifth Season in Mt Shasta. Not many stores carry them. Thinkmountain is a good place to do business; best if you can consolidate orders with friends as the shipping can be a factor - they're in Spain IRRC.

I threw out my plastics a few yrs back, I climbed in them for many years went through a few pairs. I now climb in Lasportiva "Lhotses" (sp) my plastic boot days are long over, the boots I wear now are the best Ive ever worn in the winter, they are pricey but even a poor climber like me can justify the cost.

I used to be a huge fan of plastics (and still am) - but lately I have been eyeing some leathers as these days - my trips are rarely more than 1 or 2 winter nights and I am more into "warm climbing" now (warm meaning around 15 to freezing or a above freezing ) - I have had it with this below zero stuff to be honest :eek: and we haven't even had that this year much at all! around march, I will start using my morraines again.

I hear what y'all are saying, but I must say, I can't really relate. I wonder if your Degre's are fitted right?

Mine fit great and are often as or more comfortable as/than my leathers. Sure you have to change the way you walk...but they cushion your feet in a way that leathers never do. On top of that, how great it is to have nice toasty feet...As importantly it is great to not have to worry about frostbite even if I get stuck in the backcountry, or have to worry about waking up with boots frozen solid.

It may certainly be that your foot is too narrow or too wide to fit in well...

Same Here

I like my Sportiva Lotse's. Goretex liner, reasonably warm, flexible upper, and crampon compatible. Lighter and less bulky than most plastics. I love Sportiva, and have 3 pairs of their climbing shoes. The most important trait of a boot is its fit, so go and try some out. If I had to do it again, I would probably get the Sportiva K4S's because they have better insulation. However, my boots are warm enough down to -5 so far with my new-found Thinsulate/Wool socks.

-percious

With the Koflach Degre's weighing in at 5lb 7oz per pair and the Salomon B52's at 2lb 8oz per pair, it's a no brainer for me. At least for 95+% of the winter hiking I do in the White Mountains. I wore them Sunday on Garfield when it was Zero degrees and I did not feel any hint of my feet being cold. They are incredibly comfortable, snowshoe and crampon campatible, very warm and lightweight. No more plastics for me.

JohnL

Back in black

Sportiva Lotse's get my vote.
I have the Degres and the Arctis Expe's by Koflak and they are collecting dust the last two years. Size 11 anyone? :)

the Salomon B52's at 2lb 8oz per pair, it's a no brainer for me...
i think i tried a pair of these on once at Cabelas. very comfey & cheap too. was Ready to buy em but i thought they wouldnt work w snowshoes, etc. (sales dept. knew nothing) - doh! :eek:

One other consideration is the Merrell Winterras. I bought those based on recommendation from Dr. Wu and others in VFTT. Got them a few weeks ago and they have been quite warm and comfortable on a few shorter hikes. They remain on sale for $69.97 at Campmor, although not all sizes are still available: Winterras .

Also, The North Face Baltoros are on sale at Travel Country for $59.99! Baltoro. My hiking partner Ray uses them and has been quite happy thus far.

Regards,
Marty

JohnL said:
With the Koflach Degre's weighing in at 5lb 7oz per pair and the Salomon B52's at 2lb 8oz per pair, it's a no brainer for me. JohnL
That's about the same for me. I bought the predecessor to the B52 (the Snobow) on a lark about 4 years ago - they were on closeout at EMS - and now rarely use my plastics either. They're warm, light, and protect my feet on long snowshoes hikes. More often than not I wear 6 point crampons from the trailhead if snowshoes aren't needed, and they work well with those also. By the 3rd year they were no longer waterproof, but that's not as much of a concern in a cold winter.

My only complaint (and in the total scheme of things this is minor) is that despite careful drying between uses, the linings have developed a strange odor - like the cats are using them for you know what (they aren't). Have tried Fabreze, but it only helps some.