Do You Ever Hike Drunk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink alcohol on a hike

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I've taken at least a beer every single time I've hiked this year. My favorites are Snapperhead IPA (6.8% abv) and Moo Thunder Stout (both from Butternuts Brew Co and both in cans). I've also taken things like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye (8% abv) among other things and got quite drunk while on a Presidential Traverse (?....!) At this point I doubt that I'd ever do a hike again for the rest of my life without at least one beer tagging alone if not more. I try to be safe, somewhat, but a bunch of times the alcohol has probably affected my decision making, ability to walk straight etc. Who cares? Live free and die, right? Who else?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
And don't be surprised when SAR bills ya.
Don't even get me started! I've lied to rangers before about what I was hiking. Last time I hiked with JF we told the ranger that we were going to Owl's Head and instead bushwhacked up West Bond. I had alcohol that day though!

-Dr. Wu

Only on overnights, no need during the day.
Overnights: Beer and Jim Beam. See, we're trying to change attitudes here! Pizza and Beer (and hot sauce for the pizza)!! Important components for every hike!

-Dr. Wu

My body is my temple and anyway, hiking gets me high naturally.

I actually chose "no", and if you knew me that is remarkable. But, of the choices there, I never do. I don't hike, day or trips, while drinking alcohol. It's always for the downtime.

I always have 1-2 for the parking lot. And, if I'm camping, there are cocktails going around. But, for actually being on the trail, I don't drink alcohol.

I do envy those who crack open a beer on the summit. I never do, usually because Alex is with me and I won't do anything that will even remotely impair my judgment and therefore endanger her.

However, if I ever find myself without her and in the company of someone who is handing me a beer at the summit....I'll most likely gladly accept...just one, though, I wouldn't be comfortable with any more than that.

Wu, you forgot some obvious answers for your poll like:

Do you have a drink with others summit celebrations?

Do you need to drink to help get over your hangover from the night before?

Do you need to have a few so that you can look directly at JF?

And soon, do you need a few to recover from the blindness after looking at LRiz's new blue snow pants?

:)

During the day? A beer or two if I got them available. Don't think I've ever gotten drunk and hiked though.

Overnight? All bets are off and the Manhattans are flowing! :)

Are you able to open a beer with the end of a hiking pole?

Do you sometimes reach the summit and forget how you got there?

Do you hike with JF?

If you answered yes to any of the following questions, you are a hikealcoholic.

However I certainly don't mind sipping champagne on the summit with someone who finished their 4,000 footers! :)

Like this? Me too! (Note the condensation on the bottle... I'm proud that I kept it on ice and chilled all the way up Skylight for her.)

11153_100653813293460_100000465252477_16691_5128460_n.jpg

Day hike before or during? Nope. Overnight trip? Maybe. A sip or two of Scotch before closing the eyes is sometimes very nice. :cool:

A cold beer on the summit on a warm day is great. Really enjoy a cold one, soda or beer back at the car.

Re the original question: Was hiking with 2 close friends, one of whom finished his 46 on Skylight that day - 2 of us brought a bottle of champagne each... 2 bottles for 3 hikers.
Climbed Marcy, Lake Tear, Gray, Lake Tear, Skylight finale! After we drank all the bubbly, barely felt the hike back over Marcy and back to the Loj. Very interesting hike from Skylight to the Loj. :eek: