Do You Ever Hike Drunk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink alcohol on a hike

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't routinely carry alcohol but will take a drink if someone's celebrating a finish - usually wine or champagne not beer

The case that started the idea of fining reckless hikers was a guy who got drunk on Moriah in freezing weather and supposedly endangered the rescuers, so drunkenness is not a victimless crime

Nope - have a tough enough time remaining upright when I'm sober, much less drunk.

A cold one back at the trailhead, along with some peanuts, is a fine way to end the day though.

No. It would ruin my consumption that evening.
Really, beer is an ultimate reward for safely getting home.

I've taken at least a beer every single time I've hiked this year. My favorites are Snapperhead IPA (6.8% abv) and Moo Thunder Stout (both from Butternuts Brew Co and both in cans). I've also taken things like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye (8% abv) among other things and got quite drunk while on a Presidential Traverse (?....!) At this point I doubt that I'd ever do a hike again for the rest of my life without at least one beer tagging alone if not more. I try to be safe, somewhat, but a bunch of times the alcohol has probably affected my decision making, ability to walk straight etc. Who cares? Live free and die, right? Who else?

-Dr. Wu

Tedious, very tedious.

p.s. Please don't drive drunk. I couldn't care less what happens to you on the trail, but when you stumble back to your car and start driving, now you're a threat to innocent people.

p.s.s. Congrats...you've gotten lots of attention with this thread, which is obviously the intent.

No.

But last summer I did climb Waumbeck about seven hours after I'd put away two strong black Russians (I was staying in Gorham.) My head felt a little funny on the way up, so I attributed it to never having had a drink within 24 hours of a climb.

It turned out to actually be the beginning of my Ehrlichiosis symptoms. :p

I am in the "natural high" group, I get the endorphins kicking in during my hikes. A beer would probably bring me a bit down off of my high.

I have to say, I am really looking forward to the first alpine episode of "Intervention". Ken Seeley will look quite powerful at 4,000 feet standing atop a mountain, offering a "gift" to Dr Wu.

Nope..........I hike so the Beer taste better after a Hike! Being Drunk during would defeat that whole purpose.

Now, No

Have on occasion had a sip or a glass when celebrating a 48, 67, 46 or 115.

Now back before some of you may have been born, Including maybe Dr. Wu, I had been up a rocky peak in Bolton Notch, Bolton CT that has many coats of paint on it & the the various High School years on it. On more than one occasion, after several Green Monsters, I wnt up the hill, (in some spots almost a scramble) with Krylon to promote my school or denigrate the cross town school. (Several years later, I married a woman from that school)

Now I have to get ready for my HS Renuion - 30th:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
The next time I have the notion to put a couple cold cheeseburgers in my pack, I'll actually go through with it. I'll have to think over the beer idea a little more.
Thanks Wu, the possibilities are endless.

WU - I am disgusted that you would have a thread like this to take away from the serious nature and safety of hiking. People die driving to the trailhead, esp in winter due to icy roads...

I have actually been blowing off hiking altogether to get drunk. I am finding I am getting more out of that lately.

I should further follow-up to say if someone lugged some booze up to a peak, and offered me some, I cannot envision a scenario where I'd say 'no'.

I've never been drunk while hiking but if I'm doing a hike that has good views and I know I'll have the extra time to sit and enjoy the views, I'll bring a mini bottle of wine (http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=798) or a nip of whisky. I always save it for after I've reached the summit, preferably for a nice viewpoint on the way down (e.g. Bald Peak off the Mt. Kinsman Trail). Aside from poor taste (tough to find good wine in a plastic bottle!), I view it as a good way to ensure I slow down, sit down, and enjoy the views without worrying about my time or eating enough. A beer waiting in my truck works too...

I don't drink much anyway, but was "feeling good" after one of the hikes this year (which is rare for me), in a campground. Typically a 12 pack will last me about a year, although the wine cabinet is usually stocked at the house, I just keep it for guests.

In the winter on a overnight I'll typically bring along some Captain Morgan's Private Stock to freshen up the hot spiced cider before bed, but I don't have it all the time and usually not enough to make a difference. I find it helps me get to sleep easier.

I don't drink on the trail typically as it would detract from the hike, at least for me. However, like some others, if offered a glass at a summit for a special occasion, I'd partake.

But, we each HYOH, so it doesn't bother me if people have some on the trail. I also tend to hike too fast too drink something like beer, and I'd be belching the whole day afterwards.

Last edited:
A beer or 2 on the summit...never get drunk though. Usually a Saranac Black Forest in winter, Saranac Pale Ale in summer, Saranac Pumpkin Ale during fall, and Saranac Imperial IPA in spring.

Drunk, no. I've been known to enjoy a nip on a summit, as well as of course any celebratory drinks for list finishes, as well as plenty of wine on hut stays, but while actually hiking I'm already flirting with dehydration as it is and don't need alcohol to help that along. In fact, even after a hike when I'm craving a cold beer, I find a soda or even chocolate milk more refreshing until I've rehydrated, then I have a drink or three to relax.

However ... I did consume over a half-liter of wine while lounging around Thoreau Falls one warm, sunny day. Wine, brie, crackers, my toes in the water, and the new Harry Potter. That was decadent. :)

Note: I did end up moving the socks a lot further away from me!

Last edited:
I worked with a guy 25 years ago that would take a hit of acid while hunting. He thought it enhanced his overall experience while in his tree stand.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

I worked with a guy 25 years ago that would take a hit of acid while hunting. He thought it enhanced his overall experience while in his tree stand.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
That's ok, 25 years ago everything was much safer because we didn't have the internet.

I never drink alcohol on a hike. I keep it in a cooler at the trailhead. Gotta have some incentive to return. :D