Do You Ever Hike Drunk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink alcohol on a hike

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A Fifth of Beam on every summit. It makes doing the Dix Range in a day a little tougher.

A Fifth of Beam on every summit. It makes doing the Dix Range in a day a little tougher.

Do you at least get to do a shot (or six) when you reach the Beckhorn, I hope...? ;)

Interesting that Beam is one of the specified poll choices. Is bourbon the "official" spirit of hikers? (I sure hope so, as it's one of my faves!)

When I got into ice climbing a couple years ago, I soon learned that Scotch (esp. single malt) is the "official" ice climber's drink. Never really cared for Scotch previously, but am starting to develop a taste for it.

Need to keep practicing, I guess... :D

me and Paradox drank some laphroaig before and after rainier. didn't think much of it at the time, but I've been described as a cretin. actually he described me as a cretin after I told him I didn't think much of the laphroaig. anyway, it didn't hurt our efforts. perhaps it helped. maybe I need to keep practicing, also.

I don't drink while I hike. I have enough trouble trying not to fall down, don't need the help on the trail to do that. BUT at the end of a hard day :D it hits like a truck.:cool:

I do bring booze for an overnight campout for the end of the day in a plastic bottle.

I will have something on top of Whiteface for my 46!

I just heard (I think on another thread) someone quoted "it takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it".

To each their own. I know this thread let me down.

Edit: Let me be more clear. The idea of hiking drunk makes me sick. Celebrating once in a while with Champagne or beer is fine with me. All I am saying is I had better impression of Wu before this poll/thread. (But I never read all of his post to begin with). What can you really learn about someone else from this site without actually meeting them?

Last edited:
What? :confused:

I thought most of this was in jest and for fun.

What can you learn? I've learned people can be quite different in person that they are on a blog. :)

Now Neil!..is all true.:p;):rolleyes::D:)

Last edited:
yea, it's not my job to defend dr_wu, in fact I'm quite sure he could kick my butt if he wanted to, but I wouldn't take this thread, or his intentions with it, too seriously. I doubt he was doing any drinking during his 13 hour Pemi loop, although he may claim differently.

Interesting that Beam is one of the specified poll choices. Is bourbon the "official" spirit of hikers? (I sure hope so, as it's one of my faves!)

For better or worse, I don't actually drink a Fifth at every summit, but Beam is my choice of backcountry booze. It's got a good weight/punch ratio, is inexpensive, and it tastes pretty good. I used to carry Old Crow, but Beam is much smoother, so it is worth a couple of extra $. (Interestingly, Old Crow was the original sour mash bourbon; now it is, apparently, the factory seconds, if you will, of Jim Beam.) Generally speaking, I only carry it on overnight trips and sometimes on post-work, evening hikes.

Shamefully, I cannot live up to Dr. Wu's high standards and can only achieve the occasional nip at the summit, especially if the weather is raw, or the cupful back at camp. If someone offers wine, port, or reeb at a summit, I'd not turn them down.

Beer is, of course, an essential post-hike rehydrator.

yea, it's not my job to defend dr_wu, in fact I'm quite sure he could kick my butt if he wanted to, but I wouldn't take this thread, or his intentions with it, too seriously. I doubt he was doing any drinking during his 13 hour Pemi loop, although he may claim differently.
No, I had a beer that day too. I had a beer (on the top of Cabot) on my Kilkenny Ridge Traverse. Had 2 beers on the Great Range Traverse. Had a beer or two during our 4x Monadnock day with JF. Not really a big deal -- a can of beer isn't anything to be skeered of; it's refreshing and relaxing during a long hot day, not just at the car when you're done.

BTW: All three mods have met me (Darren and Dave several times.... I've even camped with them at the same campground!) and they all unanimously agree that I am one of the finest, most upstanding and wonderful people that they've ever met.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
BTW: All three mods have met me (Darren and Dave several times.... I've even camped with them at the same campground!) and they all unanimously agree that I am one of the finest, most upstanding and wonderful people that they've ever met.

-Dr. Wu

Good stuff right there! :p

Look how you are disappointing people Wu. Personally I'm devastated...and to think I've actually hiked with you - I'm so naive :rolleyes:
I had a good suggestion for what you could use for an ice screw while on that Presidential Traverse! That's gotta count for something!

-Dr. Wu

When I used to hike with a buddy of mine, we would occasionally bring along a "summit brew". But it would always be warm by the time we drank it so we stopped (although one time I put beer in my thermos and we had cold beer on the summit of Moosilauke. That was nice.) Now I don't bring anything on day hikes, but on overnights with my girlfriend I bring a bottle of wine (the 750ml nalgenes are perfect for this) to have with supper. And in late fall when the temps are cooler at night I'll bring a little sambuca for after dinner or to spice up my coffee. It warms you right up.

Hey Wu, this is a reminder that you and I are leading next week's worship and devotional with the church group.