Do You Ever Hike Drunk?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink alcohol on a hike

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I used to hike with a buddy of mine, we would occasionally bring along a "summit brew". But it would always be warm by the time we drank it so we stopped (although one time I put beer in my thermos and we had cold beer on the summit of Moosilauke. That was nice.) Now I don't bring anything on day hikes, but on overnights with my girlfriend I bring a bottle of wine (the 750ml nalgenes are perfect for this) to have with supper. And in late fall when the temps are cooler at night I'll bring a little sambuca for after dinner or to spice up my coffee. It warms you right up.
Easy way to solve this problem, even in summer:

I use a hydration bag instead of water bottles in the summer. I'll fill it up with cold water and if it's real hot, throw a few ice cubes in there as well. Then you put that in your pack. Then you put yer beer can or bottle right up against that. It's less complicated than it seems. Even on the hottest days my beer stay cold on the hike. If you hike with me, I might even bring an extra and give it to you. Anyone that's ever hiked with me will recognize the yellow can:

34968.jpg

An excellent IPA in the can. Having one on a hike ain't gonna kill you, believe me. It may even improve your hiking performance both in the trails and in the bedroom!

Hey Wu, this is a reminder that you and I are leading next week's worship and devotional with the church group.

You do realize that Swamp, JF, Gillian and I are forming our own religion, don't you? You should hike with us more. This is possible with my new legal agreement.

-Dr. Wu

Easy way to solve this problem, even in summer:

I use a hydration bag instead of water bottles in the summer. I'll fill it up with cold water and if it's real hot, throw a few ice cubes in there as well. Then you put that in your pack. Then you put yer beer can or bottle right up against that. It's less complicated than it seems. Even on the hottest days my beer stay cold on the hike. If you hike with me, I might even bring an extra and give it to you. Anyone that's ever hiked with me will recognize the yellow can:

I can see that you've given this a lot of thought. That's real dedication.

PS I have never met you Dr Wu, but two years ago I was hiking the Hancocks and I saw a big mushroom with the inscription "Dr Wu was here".

Last edited:
Does minikeg foam count as drininking?

Speaking of minikegs, a few years ago I was camping at Chimney Pond in Baxter SP. I met a guy who had recently been diagnosed with cancer so he was living life to the fullest while he could. Like the song says "sky diving and Rocky Mountain climbing", he was doing all the things that he had wanted to do earlier in life but never got around to doing. Chimney Pond campground is a 3.5 mile hike in, and this guy carried a minikeg of Heineken in with him. He and his buddies partied most of the night. God bless him. I hope he's still with us.

On winter overnights I like a little Yukon Jack.
1264.jpg

It has a cool saying on it.....“Yukon Jack is a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and cabins warm, boldly flavorful yet surprisingly smooth, there is no spirit like Yukon Jack.”, and it comes in a hiker friendly plastic, flask type bottle.

plus one for that dude. Die with your boots on. Nursing homes suck.

Speaking of minikegs, a few years ago I was camping at Chimney Pond in Baxter SP. I met a guy who had recently been diagnosed with cancer so he was living life to the fullest while he could. Like the song says "sky diving and Rocky Mountain climbing", he was doing all the things that he had wanted to do earlier in life but never got around to doing. Chimney Pond campground is a 3.5 mile hike in, and this guy carried a minikeg of Heineken in with him. He and his buddies partied most of the night. God bless him. I hope he's still with us.

I just heard (I think on another thread) someone quoted "it takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it".

To each their own. I know this thread let me down.

Edit: Let me be more clear. The idea of hiking drunk makes me sick. Celebrating once in a while with Champagne or beer is fine with me. All I am saying is I had better impression of Wu before this poll/thread. (But I never read all of his post to begin with). What can you really learn about someone else from this site without actually meeting them?

Yes, parts of this thread are very disappointing.

If it's going to be a long hike and you need to carry more than a couple...you can use a handy insulated carrying case. Just remember to recycle!

558423323_b5Qbq-S.jpg

On winter overnights I like a little Yukon Jack.

It has a cool saying on it.....“Yukon Jack is a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and cabins warm, boldly flavorful yet surprisingly smooth, there is no spirit like Yukon Jack.”, and it comes in a hiker friendly plastic, flask type bottle.

Our our Alaska trip, everyone brought a bottle to pass around at night. By far, Yukon Jack was the most highly rated of the bunch.

Although I answered "no" to this poll and add nothing more than electrolite powder to my water (that I filter) while hiking, I found the following I received in an email from my wife quite appropriate....

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't..

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop..

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,
than to drink water and be full of s**t.

Although I answered "no" to this poll and add nothing more than electrolite powder to my water (that I filter) while hiking, I found the following I received in an email from my wife quite appropriate....
It can't be true that unfiltered water is 1/365 E. coli! :eek:

<serious post here>

I never consume alcohol during one of my hikes. I often abstain the day before too. I find that, in my declining years, that there is something in that stuff that lessens my hiking powers, not unlike kryptonite. And I have a perverted tendency to design hikes (I don't plan a hike, I design it) that take it to the limit one more time (sorry if you hate the Eagles).

It's true, if I have properly designed a hike and then if someone were to move my car 50 feet further from where I come out then you'd find my bones 50 feet from the vehicle.

As for the drive home: it's Mr. Caffeine and very little food until I walk in the door. I always crack open a cold beer right away. Then the chores of unpacking, washing and putting gear away etc. etc. is enjoyable.
</serious post>

Hiking boots that touch liquor shall never touch my lips.