Do you like to snowshoe / wear snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you wear snowshoes?

• I put snowshoes on first chance I get

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • I’ll put them on for the trail’s sake but would rather not

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I’ll posthole up to my knees first, and then put them on

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • If I need snowshoes I’m not hiking

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

carole

Reaction score
My ‘unscientific’ theory is men for the most part don’t, women do. I base this on hiking with others and observation but let me know if I am correct or not.

I’ve contemplated this before and a conversation yesterday prompted my post. I wore snowshoes and three guys I conversed with for a time did not and all agreed they only put them on if ‘absolutely necessary’ and their idea of absolutely necessary would be different then mine. Basically they hated to wear snowshoes which is a comment I have heard many times and only from males if I recall correctly.

I, personally, love to snowshoe and put them on when ever I possibly can and seek out fresh snow as I do enjoy trail breaking. Once they are on my feet I hardly know they are there.

Like them or not I think you’ll be needing them the next few days.
:D

Last edited:
Not to debunk your theory right off the bat(I'm male ;) ) but I voted for putting them on the first chance I get.

carole,

So far your theory is in trouble :)

I love snowshoeing, will rather go up an unbroken trail (as far as my old body can go) than up a concrete packed trail. This winter I am exploring (for the first time, I wonder why I never did before) the forest service roads off Tripoli Road. I have found the WMNF Mountain Bike Map, Pemigewasset Ranger District an excellent guide.

skiguy said:
Not to debunk your theory right off the bat(I'm male ;) ) but I voted for putting them on the first chance I get.

Same here, I can't wait until there is enough snow cover to use snowshoes. Nicole and I had the privilege of breaking trail up a fire tower peak (Blue) this weekend, on the way down we were treated to the fruits of our labors by having a nice smooth snowshoe track for the hike down.

I get ancy waiting for the first 6-inch plus snowstorm of the year to hit the boston area to take out the snowshoes. It doesn't matter what time, a few friends and I will go out at 11pm, 4am, whenever.

We went to Bradley Palmer State Park north of Boston yesterday and it was awesome!

Sorry to buck the trend, but I answered I’ll put them on for the trail’s sake but would rather not in the poll.

I am always looking to lighten my load whenever possible, so I will only use snowshoes when conditions dictate. In contrast to my pal Roadtripper, I was part of a group of three VFTTers who barebooted the nearby Manchester-Essex woods. None of us felt like we needed snowshoes.

That all being said, I always use snowshoes when there is deep snow or when barebooting can deteriorate a trail.

Marty

Only if necessary.

I tend to leave them behind, unless I know that trail conditions warrant wearing them. Many of the steep trails I've been up over the years are too narrow, imho, and I find that stablicers or crampons work better.

Having said that I dislike descending to my hips in snow, and for that reason, I will carry them if the snow conditions make them necessary. Also, for local forest hikes, I'm happy to wear them, but I'm not in a hurry and I'm carrying as much heavy gear.

Mike (LivesToHike)

Break the trail for me!!! Make it hard and smooth like a blistering white concrete highway. I'l hang back and have another coffee and and then strap on my 4 or 12 points and check your trailbreaking progress later. :p
P.S. Thanks!!!!!!!

Back in my college outing club days, my observations suggested that the people who avoided using snowshoes tended to be the people who didn't know how to use them very well...

The experienced knew that snowshoes saved energy with only a few inches of soft snow or an occasional posthole. And modern snowshoes are lighter than those that we had back then ('70s).

Doug

I'm somewhere between your first and second choices, so I chose #2.

I don't mind sinking in 2" or 3", especially on the ascent when I know I'm returning on the same trail. To me (and each person is different) the loss of traction/effort of sinking in a couple of inches is less that the effort needed for 'shoes. On the descent I'm fussier and will wear them under similar conditions, as leaving a well-groomed trail is simply good manners and makes future 'shoeing on that trail, whether it's the next day or the next week, much easier. I do it for the same reason I won't glissade down a hiking trail.

Carole-

I was on the trail Thursday - at sunrise - in Plymouth MASSACHUSETTS! with a foot of snow under me. Got out for an hour and was in heaven!

The tracking was intersting - a big buck had come thru, coyote and what was particularly interesting on the loop trail I was on - was what I thought for sure was the track of a big fat raccoon, but yesterday talking to my buddy he's sure what I saw was otter tracks.

I love biking & hiking & sea kayaking but its pretty hard to beat getting out on the snowshoes right after a storm!

Peter

Last edited:
To all you guys who say they love to get out on the snowshoes – a big hug :D
But I don’t think my theory is shot yet. Perhaps more will weigh in.

Kevin Rooney said:
To me (and each person is different) the loss of traction/effort of sinking in a couple of inches is less that the effort needed for 'shoes.
This is the part I don’t understand. For me the effort is less with snowshoes on than the effort without which is often like walking on a sandy beach.

PeterM said:
and what was particularly interesting on the loop trail I was on - was what I thought for sure was the track of a big fat raccoon, but yesterday talking to my buddy he's sure what I saw was otter tracks.
Or porcupine perhaps. They almost make a trough as they waddle along.

Snowshoe

I keep my snowshoes in the car for any reasonable opportunity to use them (and even some unreasonable ones as well).

It is Sunday afternoon. I have about 9 inches of new snow here in Northern Massachusets. Looks like the dog will have to posthole while I float on top when she goes for her afternoon run. :D