Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
News Flash:

Doug & I tried to arrange a back country ski trip, around the Kanc Brook loop, for Sunday. I had other obligations in the afternoon, so we just agreed to do our own thing. By happenstance, we met in the Livermore / Depot parking lot at about the same time. While it wasn't much of a joint mission, we skied together (I was skating that day) up Livermore Road to the Greeley Ponds split, and went our separate ways.

When I got home, I e-mailed him about the conditions and that my knees finally felt really good. By Monday afternoon, I thought it peculiar not to have heard from him, and to have seen no posting activity since Sunday AM. This morning when I woke up, I had this weird feeling, and so (on the advice of some members of this board) called NH F&G to give them descriptions of Doug, his car, his route, etc. They called me back shortly and told me he was injured, and was taken to Plymouth.

I just talked to him on the phone at the hospital. He broke his left femur at the femoral neck, and has a diagonal fracture at the distal end. And his left wrist is broken too. Two surgeries -- along the outside of his leg, including screws at the femoral neck, and a rod (pin) at the distal end. No traction, no cast. Velcro brace for his wrist. Needs a modified walker (can't use crutches with the broken wrist.) No weight on it for 8-10 weeks!

He tripped on something skiing around a blow down coming over the height of land on the Livermore Trail. He was found pretty quickly by a skier named Andy, who helped him get his pack off, get his phone out, get comfortable, etc. They called 911, gave them his GPS coordinates, requested a snowmobile, etc. Got taken out on a snowmobile with a sled/litter. He is at Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth, NH.

He's in good spirits. He expects to be release Thursday, and has made arrangements for his car to get back to Boston, and him too.

PM me if you want to send him a card.

Tim

p.s. He wanted to be sure to scoop you, Mohamed ;)

Last edited:
SAR-EMT40 said:
Does he want people to call and say hi?

Keith

He talked to me for 47 minutes... He has no internet connection. I don't want to flood him with phone calls or anything, but he might well be bored. Use your judgment, based on how well you know him.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
I just talked to him on the phone at the hospital. He broke his left femur at the femoral neck, and has a diagonal fracture at the distal end. And his left wrist is broken too. Two surgeries -- along the outside of his leg, including screws at the femoral neck, and a rod (pin) at the distal end. No traction, no cast. Velcro brace for his wrist. Needs a modified walker (can't use crutches with the broken wrist.)
Wow, this really sucks. I know DP hasn't been getting out as much as he used to and now this. That's really too bad. I hope he gets better soon.

-Dr. Wu

Doug...sorry to hear about your accident.

Hope those nurses are taking good care of you.

I hear your a die hard so you'll be up and about soon.

Heal well.

Sorry if you've PM'd me and it failed... my inbox has been full with inquiries... Here's an additional interesting fact I left out above --

They had to unhook the litter/sled several times to get around the blow downs. The rescue snow machine tipped over at one point, and the two folks who came up plus Andy the skier couldn't right it, and they had to get a second snow machine up there at which point the 4 people were able to right the first snow machine.

So, if you care about clearing blow downs, there are (I hear) a bunch ;)

Tim

Doug, that really sucks!

But I'm glad this didn't turn out as bad as it could've had and that you got quick help.

I'm sending you some good Doug vibes right now... Here's to a quick recovery!!

-Doug

Wow that's really too bad. Although I don't know Doug I have read a lot of his posts concerning GPS's etc. When I saw a recent GPS thread with no contributions from Doug I was wondering where he was... I thought he must be on vacation or something.

Doug I believe we share the same home town, if I can be of any assistance let me know.

gforce

YIKES! I do know that Doug hikes/skis very well prepared for unplanned events--I'll bet he was glad to have his emergency gear with him.

Ugh--it must have been quite a fall.

Hope you heal soon Doug!

Ouch!! Another adventure turned event... sorry that it had to happen, DP. (I thought you might enjoy the physics/relativity gist of the statement :) )

Heal quickly and mind the nurses!!

Any chance of posting a mailing address would be appreciated. Thanks for the post, Tim.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your accident, Doug. It was nice meeting you in Vermont and I hope you heal up well and as quickly as possible!

Dear Doug,

I am very glad to hear that you are healing well. I will keep you in my prayers.

Regards,

Ridgewalker

bubba said:
Any chance of posting a mailing address would be appreciated. Thanks for the post, Tim.

Dave, do you have anything for him? He may be on our instructor's list.