Everest: Beyond the Limit. Discussion Note ***WITH SPOILERS***

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnL said:
Go to the SherpaCam interactive on the Discover website. You'll see that there were small cameras on Sherpa's helmets on summit days.

JohnL

I'm sure there were. It's the heavier, high-quality, production cameras and experienced crew that I am interested in seeing on the summit. They've done an outstanding job remaining completely hidden thus far, including in the reflections of sunglasses (a point made by DougPaul, but one which I've already been keeping an eye open for.) These folks are excellent climbers AND excellent film crew. We'll see which shots we get on top. Speaking of on top, not a lot of time given to the views from the top, thus far......

Not to discount the Sherpas or the guides -- but it is their job, and there is an expectation of success on their part.

Tim

Just finished watching the last episode where the 1st team makes it to camp 3?
Have to say I am really enjoying this, almost like being there. There is quite a bit of built in suspense, wondering about the weather and who will make it. Looking forward to the next "episode".
Stu

I agree with Periwinkle...it's kind of Survivor does Everest. But I tape it every week. Not too often do I get to see video of that amazing quality. Regarding all the staged soap opera drama ... yeah, it's silly, amateur dribble, but it's the only way to sell the ads on commercial tv.

Lately, my "favorite" thing is that sneaky, clever subliminable (sp? :eek: :eek: ) message they whisper to us: "Ever, Ever, rest, rest."

My son wants to climb Everest, he wasnt even turned off when they showed the frozen bodies. I on the other hand being 40 yrs old have nothing to prove to anyone and can think of more enjoyeable things to do that are safer and cheaper. My son is 13 and he doesnt fully appreciate the scope of Everest, i plan to tell him after we climb Marcy, and while we are still at the top, "ok, now we need to do this six more times back to back to do Everest" and that wont even come close to the same experience, but alas it should open his eyes a bit, then i can ask him if he would rather do Mt Washington instead? I do find the show interesting though, for no other reason than it gives me and my son quality time together watching something we both enjoy doing together. Climbing. Stay safe!

num num num said:
i plan to tell him after we climb Marcy, and while we are still at the top, "ok, now we need to do this six more times back to back to do Everest" and that wont even come close to the same experience

Don't forget: each time up, n, take 1/n breaths, and then hold your breath for the other (n-1)/n. ;)

And be sure to do it in winter, and take off 1 layer on each ascent.

Tim

What's up with the creepy chanting of the ever...ever....ever...est...est...est...
I've heard something like that before........
Red...Red.. Red... Rum.. Rum..Rum..
:eek:

I almost forgot to watch this tonight. It should be fun. Man Vs Wild is on afterwards. I saw tonight's Hawaii episode last week, it was a lot better than i thought it would be. Stay up and watch it, if you can!

NYBRAD said:
What's up with the creepy chanting of the ever...ever....ever...est...est...est...
I've heard something like that before........
Red...Red.. Red... Rum.. Rum..Rum..
:eek:
Maybe I just blocked it out but I don't think they were doing that annoying chanting thing last night.

Good episode. I couldn't figure out if they got past the Chinese Team or what happened there, though.

I too noticed the lack of the Ever..ever...rest...rest chant.

Couple of observations --

Seeing Terry reach the summit and pull out the photo of his dad brought tears to my eyes. No, my dad is still with us, but that was a very powerful human experience, and one I'm glad he shared with the viewers.

The push above camp 3 looked like it was shot entirely on Sherpa Cams. Still very cool footage, but with more of a wide-angle lens and a bit jumpier. So perhaps the camera guys didn't quite make it to the top. Still no mention or shots of the Sherpa's up there with Bill (guide) and Terry. I do think the quick shot of someone re-fastening their crampon was probably a Sherpa.

Too bad for Mogens, I really wanted to see him make it. Clearly he's smart and experienced enough to know the mountain will be there again. He'll be back for another try. I thought it interesting that he said it was "him against the mountain" while using all the fixed ropes. He'll (and Russell too) be second-guessing himself for a long time about not going earlier and spending an extra day at camp 3. And if he had gone early, would he have been sick on the way down, which could have been fatal (presumably there wasn't any oxygen for him above camp 3)

Interesting how 2 of the 3 'stronger' climbers did not summit (team 1). Curious to see about team 2. We've seen the most about Tim Medvetz, a bit (but not recently) on Mark Inglis. How much air time has member 3 of team 2 gotten? I'm speaking of Max Chaya... perhaps he's shy or culturally opposed to publicity?

Then, a topic of its own which I won't start, the ethical debate was brought forward about competency, and who has the 'right of way' up there.

One final observation -- I think the first show was pretty poor, relative to the last three, and hope that people who were put off by it gave it a second or third chance because now it's really much better.

Next week it looks like Tim will disobey Russ' orders to turn around.

Tim

Chip said:
Good episode. I couldn't figure out if they got past the Chinese Team or what happened there, though.

They did get past them, but it's not clear what the impact of waiting (on the descent) will be on Terry & Bill... Frostbite perhaps.

Tim

It seemed like they got stuck on the second step by the chinese team on the way up and the way down. The utter lack of competence of other mountaineers is precisely why I will never reach the high point for earth. I sincerely hope that Terry does not loose his fingers since he is a doctor.

-percious

percious said:
It seemed like they got stuck on the second step by the chinese team on the way up and the way down. The utter lack of competence of other mountaineers is precisely why I will never reach the high point for earth.
Many (most?) of the commercial trips to Everest (perhaps including this one*) have members who are not fully compentent to be there. (If they were fully competent, they might not need to be on a commercial trip...) Add crowding on single-file routes and problems result. Also a factor in the 1996 deaths.

Doug

* haven't seen the program myself, just stating a possibility.

Getting past them on the way down is the "cliffhanger" for next week. They passed them on the way up for sure, but left us dangling, with Terry & Bill trapped above them on their way down...

Tim

I wonder how much liability Brice has is he allows climbers on the team who might compromise and endanger other climbers because they have health issues which could present serious problems particularly in the "death zone".
Another question I have is if MD's clear these folks prior to their being accepted on a commercial team.
This seems so different that a lot of books I have read where climbers have to really prove themselves to be even considered for a summit bid.
I am really enjoying the visuals and the story line. I can hardly wait for the big revolt next week. Brice has his hands full with the next summit team.

I think a comment was made earlier on about Brice being a leader and not going with the teams.

My observation is that the way he does it makes it safer for the teams, always being set up with the latest weather conditions. His judgment could be wrong (for example should he have kept them for an extra night?) but at least he can make an informed judgment. I thought it interesting the guide said something to the effect of “...well the wind isn’t that bad up here,.... ” knowing that its what you can’t see that can be the most dangerous. Could be some bad wind coming up you can’t see but Brice may know about.

The jam ups were unbelievable- and we think the whites have crowded trails… But the views, especially behind Terry when he was nearing the summit were great.

I don’t like that they tell you early on in the show so much of what to expect later- prefer to lead up to it, but I really enjoy every minute of the show and look forward to next week. And will be sorry when it’s over.

Am I the only person who doesn’t get a true feel how cold it is from the footage? I guess I expected to see white out conditions all the time and 100 mile an hour winds constantly whipping around the snow. Great stuff

Tuco said:
Am I the only person who doesn’t get a true feel how cold it is from the footage? I guess I expected to see white out conditions all the time and 100 mile an hour winds constantly whipping around the snow. Great stuff
You can have nice days up there too. The trick is for you to be high when the weather is good :) and low (or at least protected) when the weather is bad... :(

A big part of the problem with the cold is that the lack of oxygen keeps you from working hard enough to generate the amounts of heat that we are used to being able to generate here in the oxygen-rich NE. One reason for sleeping on oxygen at high altitudes is that you sleep much warmer.

Mt Washington ("Worst Weather in the World"...) has nice warm days too--even in winter... :)

Doug

DougPaul said:
You can have nice days up there too. The trick is for you to be high when the weather is good :) and low (or at least protected) when the weather is bad... :(

A big part of the problem with the cold is that the lack of oxygen keeps you from working hard enough to generate the amounts of heat that we are used to being able to generate here in the oxygen-rich NE. One reason for sleeping on oxygen at high altitudes is that you sleep much warmer.

Mt Washington ("Worst Weather in the World"...) has nice warm days too--even in winter... :)

Doug

Yeah, I guess I should have added that based on the number of deaths on the mountain this year and the amount of frostbite- which Brice admits was greater than usual this year- I expected it to look worse (and I realize that the days they are showing aren't the only summit days, just for this expedition) .

Hoping to be on Washington on one of those nice days this year ;)

I found this interesting regarding the weather window there. It was clipped from this climbers journal; http://www.kidzhospital.co.za/news.asp?PageID=228

"In May and June of each year, the dry northerly wind flow over India changes direction, and warm humid air from the Indian Ocean flows from the south, gradually overspreading the Indian subcontinent. Widespread torrential rains, and even severe thunderstorms, accompany the "onset" of the monsoon. The Monsoon blows from South-West, but moves mainly in a North-Westerly direction. The onset of the monsoon off the coast of Sri Lanka mid-May, often accompanied by Cyclones high up in the Bay of Bengal, will signal the coming of the famous “Everest Weather Window”.

The Weather Window is a period with no Jetwind, low general winds and little precipitation perfect for climbing above 8000 meters. According to historical data the majority of all successful Everest summits occur during the Weather Window that traditionally occurs between approximately May 15 and June 8, when the Monsoon hits the Himalayas. The climbing season as defined by the Nepal government climbing permits normally ends June 1, except that this season various expeditions have 75 day permits which go through mid June. The length of the Weather Window is approximately 2 weeks. The Weather Window might be disrupted by incoming weather systems."