Fall Gathering 9.9999999 - Sep 21-23 White Birches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called up White Birches yesterday, here is some info if the group elects to go there. I got the owners wife and am still waiting for the owner to call me back on blocking out a section in the back of the campground.

Campsites are $16 for 2 and $28 for four. They have showers and restrooms. THE BIG ISSUE IS QUIET TIME BEGINS AT 11 PM . :eek:

Okay if someone wants to comment/debate/decry the merits and evils of quiet time at 11 PM, here is the phone number of the campground 603-466-2022. The owners name is Bob and as he pays the taxes, he makes the rules. I dont know what dire consequences will occur at the stroke of 11 PM.

As the original posting was intended to gain input from the group on possible options of places to camp, if anyone else wants to propose another location that may not have such "draconian" rules and regulations, have at it. Voting closes on August 26th.

BTW, the campground rents canoes and kayaks, if you havent tried it, here is a good chance. The stretch of the Androscoggin that runs nearby is a great beginners section of river, some fast water, lot of islands and wildlife. Sherpa's planning a trip on Sunday. There is also some prime flyfishing on the Andro just upriver off the Hogan road (I am not much of a fisherman, so others will have to fill in the details).

Thanks for all the positive input to date.

Others may still be weighing the drawbacks and benefits of 11 pm quiet time (is that dead silence or is a bit of murmuring beside the campfire OK? ;) ), but Pat and I are in. We'll probably show up on Thursday night if the weather's compliant.

We can bring the usual meatballs and sausages.

I'm looking forward to Mahoosuc Notch (Saturday with Peakbagger?) and something local on Friday - we never have done anything in the Mahoosucs south of Mt Success. Or maybe in the Speckled/Caribou Mt. area.

audrey said:
Or maybe in the Speckled/Caribou Mt. area.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but last I knew the bridge at the north end of Rte. 113 was still out. I believe that makes access to Speckled/Caribou possible only from the south (East Conway) end.

We just spent the weekend in Evans Notch and 113 is open at both ends now. They completed a temporary one lane bridge about two weeks ago. This bridge is about three miles or so from Rt. 2.

Interestingly enough, the area had some kind of micro burst on Thursday night which took down a dozen trees right by the new bridge which closed the road overnight but they've got it all cleaned up now.

More info on White Birches. They have 6 "wilderness" sites at the back of the campground. They normally are their premier spots. Each holds up to six persons per site. Normally, its $11 per head we will get a couple of bucks off per head for a group rate for mentioning Views from the Top. Therefore we can have 36 persons in the wilderness sites (they are all drive up). Alternatively, you can rent a normal site for $16 for two and do a short walk, but it might be of value to those folks who want to go to bed early.

I havent seen any alternatives proposed to Shelburne(in public at least) but will wait until Sunday night to make it official .

BTW, I was talking to the owner and his AT hostel is starting to get more use by thru hikers. I had heard from a couple of thru hikers last week that it was a better choice than the Barn or HP. I dont have any details and each place has its fans, but its nice to know that there is another alternative.

Does anyone know off hand if they allow dogs? I will call, but thought I'd ask here first. Also, and if they do, is anyone planning to bring a dog with them?
Never been to one of these, so I want to ensure I am welcome next time :D

I don't plan to being in bed early and can sleep though anything. I was planning to backpack that weekend (bit of a medical issue right now, hoping that is sorted by then), but this sounds like fun - might dayhike and join the food and fun at night. Asssuming I wanted to just get in the 36 person site, are reservations needed? or is it pay someone some $$ when i get there.? I may still backpack if people I am going with would rather do that.

I wouldn't sweat that quiet time, as long as people aren't shouting, no music, etc.. I doubt it will be an issue.

I was actually planning to 'decloak' and make this one. :( Unfortunately, the date doesn't work as we'll have out of town visitors in for a long-planned hiking weekend.

Will not be able to come unfortunately......going to dad's 80th in the Twin Cities.......you guys enjoy life :)

I should know by the end of next week if I have this weekend off. If so I'll do up something veggie for the potluck. I'd be game for a Mahoosuc Notch hike.
-vegematic

I have revised the original post at the start of the thread to make it official that the event is on for Shelburne NH

Thanks Audrey. I'm 95% sure I'll be there. About time I meet some of you all!
I will probably do the Terrace loop from York Pond on Friday if I can weasle the day off from work, and like to do something in Mahoosuc (to include Success and maybe the plane wreck) on Sat. and maybe even Cherry and Martha Sun. am if there's not too much fun Sat. night!
Anyone interested in these hikes let me know, just suggestions at this point.

Mad Townie said:
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but last I knew the bridge at the north end of Rte. 113 was still out. I believe that makes access to Speckled/Caribou possible only from the south (East Conway) end.
UPDATE/CORRECTION: Met a hiker yesterday on Shelburne-Moriah (GREAT hike!) who said the road is open from the north at least to the Wild River road (he drove in). Perhaps the bridge is out south of there, or perhaps the NFS just hasn't updated their road conditions web site.

My apologies if anyone changed their plans based on what I said earlier. :eek: (We did, opting for the Shelburne trail from Rt. 2 instead of from Wild River.)

Peakbagger,
I plan to attend, and will be kayaking the Andro both Saturday (north of Berlin) and Sunday (Shelburne>Gilead). If weather is going to be lousy, I'll post here that I am out :rolleyes:

Saturday's paddle requires some prior experience (class 2), but Sunday is quite do-able with very little skill (class 1) and is a very nice section. I'm not qualified to be a leader, but I can certainly be the point person for these trips.

Question: I will be staying in the Wilderness sites, do I need to reserve?

I believe that we all have to make reservations for a spot including a space in the wilderness site.