Fall Gathering 9.9999999 - Sep 21-23 White Birches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like I can make it! I will bring a vegetarian option to the pot luck. Please pm me if you are vegetarian/vegan and planning to be at the gathering so I have some idea how much to make.

-vegematic

Tom Rankin said:
Exactly!

I kind of liked that Spencer's BBQ was laid back and mellow this year. There was still acoustic guitar and plenty of alcohol to be had, but no one was running around blitzed and tripping into the fire either.

W/o getting into details, if you went to the Vermont Gathering a few years ago, you may remember that our fellow campers and the manager of the campground were none too pleased Saturday morning! :eek:

ummm, what's wrong with tripping into the fire? :D

and ummm...Vermont what? sorry, don't remember :) we must not have been there!

SherpaKroto said:
And we will send you our traditional VFTT pitc, complete with our salute ;)

Uh, I take it you won't be coming back with a tan? :cool: Say hello to the Big Kahuna for us Ok?

i try to wear sunblock, but i BETTER come back with a tan, the beach is my favorite place in the world!!!! i love the mountains, but the ocean is my home!!!!

You can send the VFTT salute, and don't worry, we'll feel loved!!!

we'll be calling you guys, so hopefully someone has cell phone reception at the campground!

cheers!

carm

Reactions: MEB
booked and ready to go. :D

you f'ers are blessed with me for 2 nights....

weber grill will also be in attendance - it will be available for all to use - some tanks are appreciated as they run out fairly quick.

I will bring a couple - but its good have extra's.

Note - only get the blue ones. the red and yellow ones will explode the grill - and that might violate quiet time.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91313-717-TX9

I am hiking friday - should arrive campground late afternoon/early evening - looking to hike the tri's on friday if anyone is interested.

I will be bringing some sort of meat with me. probably chinese or polish susaage ;)

Last edited:
Reservations made for Pat, Marge, and me. We ought to be there by 5 on Thursday.

Is this the same campground where we had a Gathering some years ago, when we hiked the Ice Gulch? We had a fine eclectic band at that one: guitars, mandolin, harpsichord.

Do they have picinic tables at the sites? We can bring a folding table if not. Firewood too, of course.

12 reservations

Not sure if we have had a gathering at White Birches or not. It may have been Moose Brook state park.

I stopped by last night and talked to the campground owner and did a quick checkout on the sites. The sites are way up in back of the campground. (unfortunately a long walk to the facilities). There is one picnic table per site so folding tables might be handy. A few coleman lanterns would also be useful. Plenty of trees to hang tarps. The woods are fairly mature softwood, so people can spread out a bit. There are enough trees around that we can hang tarps.

Showers are coin operated and down near the the office.

I also checked out the hikers hostel, pretty basic. One common bunkroom with room for 12. A fridge and a microwave is the extent of cooking facilities. $11 per head and the area is not heated.

I will be out of town thursday evening and some of Friday so I wont be able to do any preliminary set up. I will stop by Friday around 5 PM to see if any folks want to take a run up to the Dairy Bar at 6 PM.

giggy said:
I will be bringing some sort of meat with me. probably chinese or polish susaage ;)
Oh great! Chinese Sausage... never had it! :)

I'm in but without reservations at this point. I'll take care of those next week when I know I'm still alive and able.

Audrey - White Birches sounds familiar to me. That gathering was the debut of "The Headlamps". What are the chances of mandolin at this one? This summer I joined a local band and, well... you wouldn't want my instrument at the campground! Well... maybe for wake-up calls!

The plan is to drive on Thursday and arrive early evening (yeah, it takes that long to get me there). Up for hikes and yaking. May even bring along a road bike (my butt is just getting over a 32-miler last w/end).

What hiking plans are in the making?? Not that I'm afraid to hike with giggy ...but you know it's giggy after all!

I'll likely head up Friday morning and scout Hedgehog for a group trip I'm leading Columbus Day weekend.

A few people seem to be heading toward Mahoosuc Notch. I'd be interested in that but possibly with a twist. I asssume the classic route would be via Notch Tr, Mahoosuc Tr, Cutoff and Speck Pond Tr (with a short road walk or car spot on Success Pond Road). Has anyone bushwhacked "Notch 2"? That saves :D a mile and 3/4 and 1200 feet of elevation gain ... but at what price? Notch 2 is shown on Map 7 of the AT in Maine. Is it ominous that the bushwhack would begin at Bull Brook and lead to Speck Pond Tr at Sucker Brook?

Where's the traditional Friday night dinner?

The original offer for Mahoosuc notch would be drop a car (or two) at the Wright Trail parking lot off of the Sunday River Road. Drive up to Success Pond road. Hike the Notch Trail to the head of the notch, do the notch, walk a short distance to the campsite at the base of Mahoosuc arm and then follow the unofficial trail that Outward Bound (and others use) along the stream until we reach the former Bull branch road. Take a right on the road and follow it back to the wright trail parking lot. Then do a long road trip to pick up the cars off of Success Pond road. Resist the temptation to take up residence at Sunday River Brewing for the evening.

bubba said:
What hiking plans are in the making?? Not that I'm afraid to hike with giggy ...but you know it's giggy after all!

be very afraid me lad.....

I am hiking the tri's on friday, more the merrier and then heading to the CG - I am hiking the gulf on sat, but have quite a large group going already.(trip was planned prior to the gathering being announced) Not that I am against others coming, but even I play by the rules in the wilderness, we have to keep the group numbers low. 15 people trancing though the gulf in one group would be bad form... If someone backs out, I will be sure to let folks know friday eve.

I will bring a latern for the camp. as mentioned before, bring the weber Q grill with me for all to use.

looking forward to seeing some new folks...

trying to get the shizzy man to come......

Picnic tables - we can put several together and use one site as a common place to gather - whoever's staying up late. But I'll bring the table too.

Lantern - check
REI Alcove shelter -just bought this nice 10X10 sunshelter -check

We weren't at Moose Brook - we were in the same vicinity as White Birches, same side of the road. Since Pat and I weren't staying there, they charged us $4 to drive in.

No mandolin - haven't heard from Miehoff for a couple of months.

Mahoosuc Notch on Saturday - that's a nice-sounding plan but an awful long drive...we may just do the loop so we have more time to shower and relax.

Facilities? We don't need no stinkin' facilities! Strange that these sites cost more than the regular ones, though.

We are coming . . . but with no real plans in place. We'll book something next week once I know nothing will change our plans and we will hike something and bring something to share at the potluck . . . how's that for doing this by the seat of my pants? :D

We'll be getting there late Friday, around 9 or 10 and taking off early Sunday like 7am . . . can't wait to see ya'll.

sli74

Back