Fall Gathering 9.9999999 - Sep 21-23 White Birches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets make it Official. Having seen no alternatives to the White Birches in Shelburne, the Fall Gathering will be held in Shelburne NH at the White Birches Mountain Campground starting Friday evening on Sept 21st through Sunday Sept 23rd. The campground has tentatively reserved a block of group campsites in the back of the campground for the event (if no-one gets around to reserving sites and someone else wants them, then we take our chances.) They are referred to as the "Wilderness" sites and will accomodate 36 people (6 sites with 6 people). They are drive up sites. If you want to stay in these sites its $9 per head. They also have other more private sites that start out at $16 for 2 people. Please call them directly to make reservations at 603-466-2022 and make sure you mention the Views From The Top event. They have showers.

The campground is easy to find.

From the South and West, drive to Gorham NH via Rt 2 or Rt 16. At the easterly intersection of Rt 16 south and Rt 2 East, go East on Rt 2. Drive about 2 miles and look for the campground entrance on your right (its on both sides of Rt 2).

From the East, take Rt 2 west out of Bethel (or Gilead). Drive past the NH line and go past the first campground that is adjacent to the rest area. Keep driving on Rt 2 past the AT parking lot and keep an eye out for the campground entrance on your left after the Shelburne Birches.

Note that there is an AT hostel at the campground that will sleep about 10, I dont have any info on it but it may be an option for some folks. The motels of Gorham, the "Barn" and Hiker Paradise are just down the road about 10 minutes. Super Walmart and Shaws are about 15 minutes away for last minute purchases. There is a bus service to/from Boston that runs into Gorham on a daily basis.

The only official event will be the Saturday evening potluck and subsequent campfire. Unlike recent events, we dont have access to refrigerators, ovens or stoves beyond what we bring with us. Therefore brush up on your camp cookery skills. A donation of a small amount of firewood is appreciated but dont go out of your way. I can bring a tarp and rope to rig it up.

Dependent upon where I am working Friday the 21st, I will gladly join any folks who would like to hit the Northland Dairy Bar (arguably the best family restaurant in the area) in Berlin Friday evening and we can we can check out Berlin minus the pulp mill. For those in a gourmet mode and a gourmet budget, I can highly recomend Liz's Bistro in Gorham who has received regional honors.

As for hikes and events, The northern Presidentials and the Mahoosucs are right near by, with the AT just down the road. Someone could probably make up a nice loop hike of Carter Moriah and Shelburne Moriah using the Carter Moriah Trail in Gorham and the Rattle River Trail, right from the campground. Drop me a PM if you have any particular areas you want to check out.

Sherpa has mentioned a paddle on the river on Sunday. The campground rents boats for those who want to go.

I can recomend a good basic mountain biking trip using the presidential range rail trail and its extension up into Berlin, it runs down the east side of the Androscoggin and runs for miles out through Randolph. Let me know if you want directions as the recomended starting point is difficult to find. There is also an nice run up the Hogan Road that starts a mile or so from the campground.

I will host a Mahoosuc Notch day trip on Saturday, It is about the easiest way to do the notch in a day starting via the Notch Trail and ending up at the Wright Trail parking lot. The car spots and shuttles are a bit of a pain but with the exception of a short climb in the morning, its all down hill. In order to pull it off there is a minor bushwhack via an unofficial herd path in the afternoon. Optimists can hope for warm weather, as there are some great swimming spots on the upper Sunday River.

I think I covered the basics, thanks for all the input, and I look forward to seeing everyone than can make it.

Last edited:
The fall is my favorite time of year! I say it's a great a time for a gathering. For me personally, it could be a completely "dry" event :eek: :D as long as there's good cheer and fun outdoor activities planned. I am interested!

Huh what?

Since when was it a dry event? And who forces anyone to drink? Two VFTTs? one for the wagon riders and one for the rest? seems discriminatory to me? hike if you wanna hike - they're always located close to good hiking. drink if you wanna drink. but dont say "let's not have any of this drinkin or music..." - to each his own. Just plan one near good hikin when you wanna have it. but dont tell adults what they can and cant do, puh-leeeez... :rolleyes:

Gris said:
Since when was it a dry event? And who forces anyone to drink? Two VFTTs? one for the wagon riders and one for the rest? seems discriminatory to me? hike if you wanna hike - they're always located close to good hiking. drink if you wanna drink. but dont say "let's not have any of this drinkin or music..." - to each his own. Just plan one near good hikin when you wanna have it. but dont tell adults what they can and cant do, puh-leeeez... :rolleyes:

Gris-
I don't think anyone is trying to tell adults what they can or cannot do. And I don't think anyone is advocating for two VFTT's either. I do think there is a percentage of VFTT'ers that may prefer a less party, drinking oriented gathering, especially for families with kids. I certainly can't see anything wrong with that. :)

DanaG said:
I don't think anyone is trying to tell adults what they can or cannot do. And I don't think anyone is advocating for two VFTT's either. I do think there is a percentage of VFTT'ers that may prefer a less party, drinking oriented gathering, especially for families with kids. I certainly can't see anything wrong with that. :)
Exactly!

I kind of liked that Spencer's BBQ was laid back and mellow this year. There was still acoustic guitar and plenty of alcohol to be had, but no one was running around blitzed and tripping into the fire either. But I think a good time was had by all, including the kids! :)

W/o getting into details, if you went to the Vermont Gathering a few years ago, you may remember that our fellow campers and the manager of the campground were none too pleased Saturday morning! :eek:

Peakbagger, thanks for getting this rolling. If you want date input, I vote for 9/21-9/23. We can't do the weekends before or after. Shelburne is a good central place and I for one would be happy to follow you through Mahoosuc Notch.

I am not advocating a "dry and quiet event". The use of a campground helps in that people who want to go to bed early, can retreat to a campsite sited away from the main event. Audrey mentioned the date of 9/21 to 23. That appears to be the traditional date and was the one that I was going to check with the campground. In some years, that it the beginning of the leaf season in the far northern whites.

No need to be defensive or backtrack PB. Two different style VFTT Gatherings might not be such a bad idea at all, if as you say a lot of people are staying away due to rowdiness. Probably should be clear about it and call it the "Kid Friendly" Gathering though. Or, as you stated, an alternative answer may be just finding a place where two large enough campsites exist a small (walking) distance apart and designate one a kid friendly zone. I admire your thoughtfulness. I always included my children in everything I did, esp. in the outdoors. Tis a great tradition - instills appreciation of our role in the natural world. But I stand by my comment that I really don't like adults telling other adults how to behave morally (esp. if no children issue involved)...;)

audrey said:
Peakbagger, thanks for getting this rolling. If you want date input, I vote for 9/21-9/23. We can't do the weekends before or after. Shelburne is a good central place and I for one would be happy to follow you through Mahoosuc Notch.

These dates will probably work for us . . . keep us updated. Mahoosuc Notch sounds good . . . wonder how bad the dead moose stink will be in a month.

sli74

Unfortunately, Craig and I will be unable to attend this year - my daughter is getting married that weekend.

9/21-23 was what I had on my calendar. We were trying to head up to Kingfield, ME for some rocking and rafting with GO, but could not work out the logistics. Weather permitting, I'm in (I'm a wimp now!). I'll likely do a kayaking weekend on the Androscoggin with some fishing and drinking thrown in (and would love company!). Saturday, Mollidgewock-7 Islands, or further, (north of Berlin, class 2), Sunday Shelburne-Gilead (class 1).

Since I've been one of the prime musical instigators (I won't say talents), I feel I should comment. Bearly Live has been at my cabin twice, and was not solely a VFTT event. We've also played at Darren's (CB's idea, Carmel and I organized it) and UFC's (invited to play) for winter Gathering 8 (or 9?). My self imposed rules are simple: 1) my house, my rules, 2) we'll play wherever we're invited, if we can. I have no intention or desire of making every Gathering a music fest.

Peakbagger - thanks so much for this timely post! Gatherings are a tradition that should continue. Get the weather to cooperate and I'm in!

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Peakbagger! I SO would like to make it, but the weekend of Sept. 21-23 won't work for me as I will have out-of-town guests.

Oh well, one thing you can count on is that there WILL be more Gatherings!

Ever Grateful

Peakbagger- since you made reference to our ADK BBQ- I would like to say that we have been very fortunate over the past five years. We have never had to make any "house rules". Tom, thank you for positive feedback from the past weekend. I feel everyone enjoyed themselves and that there was a healthy balance of hiking, eating, chatting, drinking, enjoying the bonfire, sleeping, etc... As for music- I am extremely appreciative of Freddy taking the time to share his talent.We have always welcomed everyone and have encouraged families. We have had avid hikers, crazy hikers, hikers who have had no idea what they were getting into, newbies, family members of hikers who never or close to never hike and so on. I myself over the last couple of years have hiked more out of state than locally. But we have all gathered together in the spirit of hiking. We sorely missed some of our regulars but had a great time meeting some first timers. It is refreshing for me to get to know more of the hiking community I love. I know that I do not post much on the board. But, the BBQ is my way contributing to VFTT. :eek: Spence & I have written the 21st-23rd on our calendars and are looking forward to seeing some of our friends who were unable to make the BBQ.

The date could work, although I'm in LP hiking/yaking thru Tuesday prior. (The w/end before doesn't work but the next week gives me breathing room...)

Like I haven't done longer drives and/or more stupid things! :cool:

I never like to miss a gathering! It's great to move around to different locales and I've learned that each gathering has it's own feel and events... but to me it's all about the people and sharing.

Peakbagger, plan away. The place you suggest has more than sufficient ammenities for our motley group of hikers!

Now, about back to the way things were done... didn't someone always bring in pots and stuff to make spaghetti??

You are correct Bubba, I used to make spaghetti for some of the earlier events as the concept of pot luck tended to mean bring your choice of brew!. It took a few years to get to the point that folks realized that bring their choice of food was a good thing.

I will likely do the Steak tip thing again. Seemed to go over well at Barnes Field this May.

We should also start organizing some hikes/kayak trips for the weekend. As I indicated earlier, I plan 2 kayak days on the Androscoggin River:
Saturday: Mollidgewock-7 Islands (~5 miles, 5 sets of class 2), and/or a second stretch from Bog Brook to Magill Bay (~7 miles, one set of class 2 followed by flatwater, and an occupied eagle's nest near the takeout)
Sunday: Shelburne to Gilead, ME (~9 miles. 5-6 sets of class 1. An easy beginner paddle with good views of the Presis)

Peakbagger: you are the man for doing this!

Count me in. Thanks for initiating this Peakbagger.

I've been to every September Gathering and have said before that they've become more like frat parties than hiker gatherings ... well, it hasn't stopped me from attending and doing my share of imbibing ... but I do wish these events could once again take on the atmosphere that people could bring their children to and let them become part of a hiking community.