For those looking for a BC ski race

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSunRa

Reaction score
Catamount Trail Association 19K back country race

Challenge Race – Trapp Family Lodge to Bolton Valley
Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Catamount Trail Association along with Bolton Valley Resort and the Trapp Family Touring Center will host the 1st Annual Catamount Trail Backcountry Challenge Race on March 8th. The 19 kilometer event will be a mass start cross-country ski race from the Trapp Family Touring Center to Bolton Valley Resort via the Catamount Trail.

Unlike other cross-country ski events, the race will be 70% on ungroomed ski trails and participants will be limited to only one pair of skis and poles for the entire distance. Racers will encounter a 2420 ft. vertical climb from Nebraska Notch Rd to the highest elevation on the Catamount Trail and then descend 1820 vertical ft. on a narrow trail to the Bolton Valley Touring Center. Each individual is encouraged to bring a small backpack with food, water, and extra clothes since there are no aid stations on the course. Climbing skins will be allowed.

DaveSunRa said:
The 19 kilometer event will be a mass start cross-country ski race from the Trapp Family Touring Center to Bolton Valley Resort via the Catamount Trail. ... Racers will encounter a 2420 ft. vertical climb from Nebraska Notch Rd to the highest elevation on the Catamount Trail and then descend 1820 vertical ft. on a narrow trail to the Bolton Valley Touring Center.
For those seeking a wee bit more of a workout there is the Patrouille des Glaciers, with 53 kilometers of distance and 4,000 meters of up (and similar amount of down). Teams of three, rope, harnesses and ice ax required.

In 2006 new records were established by both men (6:18:46) and women (8:15:15).

A bit late to apply, deadline for applications for 2008 was November 28. But probably not too early to start getting off the couch and in shape for the 2010 race.

I might just be interested in this. Thanks for posting.I skied the trail the other way once about 20 years ago. It was a heck of a long descent down to TFL.

I'll be elsewhere for this but it ought to be a hoot. I've skied this route both ways and it sure is some fun and a challenge. I am not positive but I think this section is considered one of the most challenging sections of the Cat Trail. :eek: Have fun if anyone goes!