Gathering 9.0 ????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote for somewhere in NH. Everyone enjoys having lots of hiking choices, and there are no 4K's in Mass., as cute as our hills are.

Someplace near Gorham is perfect - access to Presis, Mahoosucs, Kilkenny, etc.

I"m in but only have the weekend of the 16-17 or the 30/1 off in Sept, other than Labor Day weekend when I'm finishing up 18 days in the woods.

I'm a little prejudiced into having it closer to home, but may travel if the costs after summer aren't too great.

Well, it conflicts with my obsessive-compulsive support group ... we meet 9 times a week and it's reaaly difficult to change the schedule ... but since I went to the other 8.0 gatherings, I'll be there wherever it is. :)

Should I start a poll on this??
No, you should wait a couple of weeks and then someone should ask SherpaK if he still wants to have it at his cabin in ME (not too far from Gorham) the last weekend of July as he was planning before he got whacked. He was pretty psyched on it. And I think he'll be pretty bummed if when he starts feeling better he finds out his plans were foiled because he wasn't around to have input.

Hold on Gris!

Sherps cabin party is in July. That's very different from the traditional X.0 Gathering that occurs in September.

Even if Sherp is up for his shindig while recovering, there will still be plenty of party left in our fellow VFTTers to get going again by September.

TeeJay, one thing I learned from my one Gathering planning (my amateur hour to your Seinfeld) is that there is no way to please everyone. go with what suits the majority best and then the most fun will be had!

I'm already excited!

spencer

I would volunteer to help out if Sherpa is still up for having the July gathering, although 9.0 is probably Sept. Personally I prefer Maine, Vermont, NH, or upstate NY to Pa., no offense......

I used to live in Pa. and often miss it, but generally prefer hiking further north. :)

Last edited:
funkyfreddy said:
I would volunteer to help out if Sherpa is still up for having the July gathering, although 9.0 is probably Sept. Personally I prefer Maine, Vermont, NH, or upstate NY to Pa., no offense......

I used to live in Pa. and often miss it, but generally prefer hiking further north. :)

Gee, if we're going to have a gathering in PA or NJ, maybe there should be 'Trail Conditions' for those states?! :eek:

Hold on there Whippersnappers (always wanted to say that!!!!)

I absolutely do not want to step on any ones toes and I simply want to help out on the gathering this year. If it is a summer gathering at S/K's cabin that awesome, if it is held in addition to S/K's Summer gathering then that's just one more great excuse to get in the car and head North.

Either way - Wherever it is and Whenever it is, I'd be glad to help out.

I lived most of my life in either PA and southern NJ and I am not sure if these states would offer up enough in terms of peak hiking for many of the VFTT'ers who go to gatherings want. The peaks in PA/NJ do not have the elevation of NY/VT/NH/Maine. Thats not to say there aren't nice trails in these states because there are many nice places to go. I know some us Jerseyite's have tossed around having a separate VFTT weekend in the spring that would include hiking the Jersey highpoint, possibly some AT section hiking and kayaking. Not sure if anyone is still interested in putting this together.

The problem with having the informal Jersey/Hudson Valley gathering is that Snowshoe's house is way more condusive to holding a gathering than mine. Larger land, an actual lawn (my septic system was replaced last November and the grass hasn't grown back), but shawn being a ranger works most weekends and I cannot get him to commit on anything so that is what is holding us back. Seriously doubt we'd get anything other than an informal meeting at this point.

having said that, I have no problems having an informal gathering at my house, but I can't have loads of people. And plus, I'm god-awful busy enough preparing for our west coast invasion this year AND my presi traverse thing.

Since I knew Seema was thinking of heading down here to hike the AT, check out Edison ;) and stuff, I offered her to somehow schedule something in the same timeframe but it would only be informal and nothing too major.

And if we have a poll, it's almost pretty much guaranteed to be int he whites and/or maine (and so is the focus of this forum anyway) but since Spencer has his ADK thing every year, not a big deal.

I offered the suggestion of western Massachusetts because it's a place that has never been done before and I'm always up for new places and things. Heck, I'd offer CT, RI too, why not? Break out of your bounds, I'm a big proponent of TNF's slogan "Never stop exploring".

Maybe we should have a gathering in Montreal... I like darren's idea of the Canadian Rockies...

Jay

Jay H said:
Since I knew Seema was thinking of heading down here to hike the AT, check out Edison ;) and stuff, I offered her to somehow schedule something in the same timeframe but it would only be informal and nothing too major.
Jay

Believe it or not, I am booked until July :D
no surprise to those who know me but I will be Jersey bound in July or early August sometime. Some yummy food at Little India in Edison would go nicely with a hike on the AT . . .

sli74

May I suggest someplace that has smaller peaks with good views in case Sherpa is not up to tackling a 4K or 5K peak yet or someplace with easier to get up 4K's in case his love of the outdoors is healing a bit faster than the rest of him.

Thinking this may be more NH with the wide range of terrain although the High Peaks area with Cascade, Porter & Wrights fit the easier peaks. In ADK, I know he is about 1/2 way done with the 46, I think though he may have the more difficult ones left so the ADK's may be more of a tease for him. He has the NH100 done so no issue with feeling he'd have to hike something new.

SK was planning on attending the Presi event in June even if not hiking it; which now seems inlikely he'll be up for a Traverse. I'm commited to the Gathering if he is going & I don't see him in Northern New England or the ADK before then. I may going get there for a day hike but I'm going. (The weekend in September usually falls between or before two weeks of work where I'm away from home for 8 of the 10 days so another day away from the family is very tough.

I live in Stockbridge, MA. Wish I had room to host everyone in my backyard!
There is lots of good hiking in the area, and tons to do for the nonhikers. I'm not sure if the area offers the challenge that the VFFT'ers I met last summer are looking for though.