Gilligan takes a hike in Pawtuckaway 4/10/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Begin playing the Gilligan’s Island theme song …. “A 3 hour tour………” This was my first visit to Pawtuckaway. One aspect that drew me to this area was the fact that mountains are remains of a heavily eroded volcanic stock commonly referred to as a ring dike. The north and south mountains exhibit a strong circular shape when viewed on a topographic map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=pawtuckaway%20state%20park&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I was pleased to observe the same rock types I observed in the Ossippee’s and managed to get some pretty good photos of typical rocks.

Some interesting inclusions in the parent rocks

The area is very interesting and definitely merits a return trip. I saw some early wild flowers. Here is nice shot of Sharp Lobed Hepatica.

Only problem was it was supposed to be short afternoon hike. My late day arrival and the reservation being much bigger than I expected was a problem. I only got under way at 2:40PM. I might have saved a lot of time if I knew in advance that the mountains are 2 miles from park headquarters. I ended up hiking a big lollipop loop that included a wrong turn that took me down to Round Pond resulting in big drop in elevation requiring me to hike back up to higher elevation. Nevertheless the pond was very pretty and pristine. I spotted some nice ducks on the pond. I wished I had my binoculars with me. I had very nice views from North Mountain. However picture taking was limited by late day arrival at summit ridge and increasing cloud cover.

I descended by impressive granite cliffs in diminishing light

to an area called Boulder Field that certainly did have a lot of humongous boulders that apparently calved off the impressive cliffs on 1011’ elevation North Mountain.

This is an enchanting area well worth coming to on a sunny day. Greyhound bus sized boulders are common and arranged in fascinating jumble all set off by peaceful colors of a gorgeous mature forest of hemlock and pine. Once again rugged terrain makes an area difficult to log and serves to protect the big trees.

It was just about dark when I made it to junction #6 at the base of South Mountain. It was completely dark for the last 2 miles or so down Mountain Trail back to headquarters parking lot. I was treated to full volume peepers and some owls calling out in their spooky way. It was 8:40 when I returned to the car making for a 6 hour hike. Topo software indicates this was 11 mile RT and 1900+ elevation gain hike.

The trail on North Mountain has lots of ice storm damage amenable to bow saws on account of stunted trees that inhabit the ridge. The trails on west end of North Mountain have more extensive ice storm damage. The boulder field area has more serious ice storm damage requiring chainsaws to fix. With bigger trees comes bigger blow downs. Ice storm damage results in lot of foliage deposited on trails which is screwing up drainage of some trails.
The number 12 sign on Reservation Road appears to be missing causing me to miss turn for trail leading up east end of the North Mountain. I hiked up to height of land before I figured I needed to retrace steps back to turn off where I came across some remarkable stone foundations for what must have been a barn at one time.

Look at this workmanship.

There are some cemeteries indicating this was once farm country.

Yes, very interesting. That must have been quite a barn.

I liked your rock pictures and captions. I'm belatedly trying to teach myself geology - spent a few hours earlier today on a local hike with that focus. More such lore would be welcomed, by me anyway.

Nelson Eby strikes again

I did search on Google and again came up with Creasy and Eby geology papers. he has a field trip to Pawtuckaway. One of the stops is at Middle Mt where there is remains of a quarry. I'm thinking that quarry is where the foundation stones for this "building" must have come from. Perhaps it's related to the quarry operations. To see more pictures of the "building" go to my webshots album below. BTW I encountered a guy at the building foundation who is from Candia riding a BMW motorcycle who was attracted to the area because of it's geologic magmatic history. Perhaps we need to start a geology forum!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570966367AtDyoY

Last edited:
Jazzbo; said:
There are some cemeteries indicating this was once farm country.

I just did some quick research on that cemetery. Its listed as the Reservation Road Cemetery. Seems like the last burial in that one was 1890. I wondered if shortly after that most had packed out and farmland began to be reclaimed by woods.

Nice TR with an interesting perspective. Thanks for posting.

Those are some neat looking inclusions - reminds me of the shoreline of Lake Champlain. I've never been to Pawtuckaway or many of the other southern mountains, so it is always interesting to see reports on these areas! And great to see some flowers - I'm still waiting for the snow to melt! :)

Pawtuck

Great TR and photos! I've hiked this park for about 25 years and manage to hit something different each time. My wife, dog and I love it there and visit a lot because there's a lot worth seeing!

Scott's right on the money about the old cemetery. In the woods are more foundations, another cemetery, an ancient dam, and old stone walls showing that all the land was indeed once farmland. There is still a large farm at the end of Reservation Road.

Great place!

KDT

The real question is, Ginger (South Mountain) or Mary Ann (North Mountain)?

Thanks for the neat TR and photos, Jazzbo. Pawtuckaway is where I did my first rock climbing with the UNH Outing Club, including my first rappel off one of those humungous boulders.

Yes where were Ginger and maryann?

Great TR and photos! I've hiked this park for about 25 years and manage to hit something different each time. My wife, dog and I love it there and visit a lot because there's a lot worth seeing!

Scott's right on the money about the old cemetery. In the woods are more foundations, another cemetery, an ancient dam, and old stone walls showing that all the land was indeed once farmland. There is still a large farm at the end of Reservation Road.

Great place!

KDT

I loved your's and Jeremy's twisted version of TR on 3/31 trip to Pawtuckaways. Drop me a line next time you plan to visit. I think maybe the Minnow was grabbed by the Loch Ness Monster in that bog down below North Mt.

Thanks to Google I came across another good read on the area called "Bare Foot Farmer" story of George Goodrich the farmer who gave the land to state of NH that became this park. Supposed to have lots of old pictures taken by him of the area back when it was farmland.

http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Farmer-Pawtuckaway-George-Goodrich/dp/1933002344

Last edited: