goggle questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea level mike

Reaction score
hi all

i'm just getting into winter hiking. do i need expensive goggles, or can i get by with a balaclava and my sunglasses or a cheaper pair of motocross goggles. ?
any input is appreciated

thanks

mike baffaro

As usual its not a black or white answer. If you are just getting into winter hiking, you probably are starting out on lower 4000 footers that consist of mostly woods walking with a short section of above treeline summit cone on a defined treadway. As a beginner you will be watching the weather forecast and will be avoiding potentially hazardous conditions. Given that assumption, a pair of sunglasses with good coverage and a good uv rating is all you need. I have found a lot of safety glasses from the major suppliers fill the bill.

Now if you graduate to the higher 4000 footers where you may be above treeline for long periods of time in areas where the treadway may blow in, (such as along the main Presidential ridge and the Franconia ridge) or if you are out for multiday trips where you may get caught by a change in weather then googles are highly recomended.

As for myself, I have found that if the conditions potentially warrant googles, I will find something else to do :rolleyes: like build furniture!

if you can get full face coverage with your balaclava and your motosport goggles, then I don't see any reason for say the ADKs where the above treeline stuff is usually only on the summit cones (unlike say the Presidentials in the Whites). In serious winter conditions, it doesn't take long for any exposed skin to get frostnip or worse, frostbite so you want every little piece of skin covered. Better goggles might be ventilated better and therefore fog up less but this you will only find out through experience with your goggles so if you are just beginning to winter hike and not planning anything killer, I'd say check your balaclava and your goggles and if they cover your face completely, you can try it out. On the other hand, you can always find inexpensive ski goggles after the snow season is starting to go over. or on SierraTradingPost... Not sure how well motocross goggles vent though.

Jay

peakbagger said:
As for myself, I have found that if the conditions potentially warrant googles, I will find something else to do :rolleyes: like build furniture!

As for myself, I have found that if the conditions potentially warrant goggles, I will find a way to stop doing everything else and get out. ;)

Seriously, goggles will significantly extend the range of conditions you can travel in. Not only from the eye protection afforded (from wind-driven precipitation, reflected sunlight, and nasty twigs and branches while 'whackin'), but also from the warmth that they provide on the coldest days.

They don't have to be expensive. Find some brands and styles that others recommend and you like, then shop the closeouts and other sales. The retailers will be getting twitchy about their winter equipment inventory levels pretty soon. The winter season in the mountains extends far beyond the winter retail season.

Do motor cross goggles have 2 panes? If not then they will probably fog up very fast. I wouldn't suggest using any single pane, not very ventilated goggle or glasses when you are in wind-blowing-in-your-face weather. In the few instances I've seen people try this they instantly fog up, freeze up, and become frustratingly useless.

Goggles are rarely required below timberline which includes most of the trails and peaks in NE.

The higher winds and colder temps above timberline often necessitate their use. As cbcbd noted, double layer-lenses are required because single layer-lenses will ice up.

Doug