GPS unit recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REI,etc. is very pricey on there gps stuff. If you want good prices and service go to WWW.GPSCITY.COm. They are an authorized Garmin,Magellan dealer and have the best price's. I've bought from them for years.

Far as recommending lower end ones I'm no help there. I find the new ones with the color screens by Garmin are the cat's meow. They will do everything you might want to do with one. I have a 60CS and it will give me all the performance, vertical and horizontal data both on the trail and coupled with the PC Topo software. I had to starve the dog's for a while to pay the extra on it.

You don't need a map in them as they come with a base map of sorts and you'll find you can make your own by injecting way points that will show up on the screen. A non mapping unit will give as much performance but less cost. I wouldn't go any lower than that myself.

I can speak highly of Magellan products. I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum and have never experienced problems with tree cover.

The easiest way to use the Explorist with a map is to get maps with UTM gridlines. (or add your own at risk) Brunton makes a nice compass (GPS Eclipse) with a plastic scale which makes it really easy to translate the raw UTM numbers provided by this unit to a point on a paper map.

And if you have a destination on a paper map, you can quickly figure its UTM coordinates with the plastic scale, type them into the Explorist, and set the Explorist up to point to the destination.

With map, compass, and gps, you will be able to establish your position in all conditions.

(I hope this prevents a gps versus map & compass thread!)

VFTTop'r said:
Anyone out there using GPS units? I'm looking for something entry level just to point out locations on the trail etc. Nothing fancy and pricey just basic with a good signal.
Any success with or opinions on the model below?

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro..._ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC
That's impressive for a starter unit -- looking at the specs, however (I'm not familiar w/ this model), the two things I would point out are: (1) the antenna type is unspecified (even on Magellan's page) and is probably one of the lower-cost types which doesn't work well under tree cover, (2) no way to communicate data to/from a PC, which means you'll have to transfer lat/long coordinates manually.
If you do end up using GPS more intensively in the future, you would probably do best to consider something with a little bit more "elbow room" for potential future use. (just my 2 cents. I have a Garmin Legend, I don't particularly like it)

arghman said:
That's impressive for a starter unit -- looking at the specs, however (I'm not familiar w/ this model), the two things I would point out are: (1) the antenna type is unspecified (even on Magellan's page) and is probably one of the lower-cost types which doesn't work well under tree cover, (2) no way to communicate data to/from a PC, which means you'll have to transfer lat/long coordinates manually.
If you do end up using GPS more intensively in the future, you would probably do best to consider something with a little bit more "elbow room" for potential future use. (just my 2 cents. I have a Garmin Legend, I don't particularly like it)

Thanks for the input. The good thing about the Magellan unit is if I buy it at REI, I can return it if it doesn’t work out, no questions asked. :D
I'm just looking for something to tell me where I am on the map.

VFTTop'r- I found this on a web page quite by accident today.

I have no idea if it can be applied to your purchase in the Northeast, but here it is

REI.com has a rare $20 off $100 coupon Code: WNTPT Exp 11/18/04
Coupon insert for instore use was in yesterday's SF Chronicle and other regional newspapers.

I've used Garmins. Magellans and some other "expensive" models that we interface with a PC for finding precise locations while on the road ...but for me the Magellan works best. I have an older Map330 wich has been upgraded to the Sporttrack, and Meridian type models.

I'm partial to Magellan, and have used several models over the years. Take a look at the Magellan Sporttrack & Meridian series, figure out what features you'll actually use, some have altimeter-barometer, "electronic" compass and such. For general navigation, these models work great, (for me) the only time I lost signal (briefly), was last year doing Redfield in the winter. On lower rolling hills, I've never lost signal, even in snow covered trees!

I like the topo map feature, but they are not USGS maps.....but pretty close, usually. This requires memory, but for most applications you don't need a whole lot. Another feature you must consider is the screen-display size. On one Garmin unit it was very compared to the Magellan, (most screens are "customizabe"), so you can decide what works best for you, there are large screens (fonts?) so large data sets can be viewed.

It's like buying a computer..if you but the lesser model, you'll wish you bought the better one...and then it's outdated anyways!!!

good luck..
:)

Remix said:
VFTTop'r- I found this on a web page quite by accident today.

I have no idea if it can be applied to your purchase in the Northeast, but here it is

REI.com has a rare $20 off $100 coupon Code: WNTPT Exp 11/18/04
Coupon insert for instore use was in yesterday's SF Chronicle and other regional newspapers.

Customer service says the code WNTPT works for a 20% discount. Thanks for the tip.