Grand Canyon Double Crossing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Just returned home after an awesome week in Arizona. It started with a traverse of Payson's Highline Trail in the Zane Grey 50 miler on Saturday, 4/28: http://www.zanegrey50.com/

After two days of rest, a friend and I climbed AZ's high point, Mt. Humphreys http://americasroof.com/az.shtml 12,633 ft. and just short of 10 miles round trip. About a third of the way we were balancing atop hardpacked, rotten snow, and on the two-mile out and back on the ridgetop, we were pelted with snow flurries and squalls. (14 highpoints to go :cool: )

The final leg of this AZ "triple" was a rim-to-rim-to rim crossing of the Grand Canyon. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE PLACE!! Four of us started at the South Kaibab Trail just before 5 a.m. on Friday, 5/4. We descended to Phantom Ranch, climbed the North Kaibab Trail to the North Rim, then retraced our steps to the river, and ascended the Bright Angel Trail for a total of ~45 miles and ~11,000 feet of climb. We totally lucked out with the weather, with a high of only about 75 degrees in the inner canyon. :) There was plenty of water en route; except for the descent of the South Kaibab, the furthest we had to go between water stops was about 4 miles.

This R2R2R run ranks as one of my top 5 outdoor experiences. What a great week!! :D

Stinkyfeet
www.runsuerun.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading about the R2R2R. That's something I think I'd like to do next time I get out to the Grand Canyon. A few years ago I hiked Bright Angel to the bottom... in August... when it was 123 in the shade. The link in your report gives me ideas about when to go, when to start, how long it takes, etc. Thanks.

Wow, simply amazing. What a way to spend a day. :) You guys know how to plan a vacation!

-dave-

I agree that the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim is an amazing hike. My brother and I did it twice last year. In May we did it as a two day trip, overnighting at the North Rim Lodge. In November we did the one day roundtrip. After the May trip we climbed Mt. Humphrey's on the third day. Someone we met on the trail told us we had done what they call a "Hole to Hump," going from the Colorado River to the summit of Humphrey's in a day.

I agree that the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim is an amazing hike. My brother and I did it twice last year. In May we did it as a two day trip, overnighting at the North Rim Lodge. In November we did the one day roundtrip.

RickM, I did a search and read your very interesting trip report from last fall. :)

btw, what are your other four top outdoor experiences?

Hmm, let's see here...

Grand Canyon R2R2R
Colorado Trail thru-hike
Appalachian Trail thru-hike
Hardrock 100
and...
I'll jump the gun here and say the John Muir Trail this summer 'cuz it's going to be awesome. :D

Also forgot to mention the great, informative book I picked up in the GC: Over the Edge, Death in the Grand Canyon, a compilation of all the known deaths in the Canyon, similar to Not Without Peril .

Stinkyfeet

Thanks...

...for living the DREAM(S) :eek: :D :p

...and sharing with us mere mortals :)

What was that saying??? "You'll be bak!?!?!?" :confused:

Good Luck Sue!!! Luv Ya, MTNRUNR ;)

Fred, I'll be back to visit New England, which will always be very special, but am enjoying the West Coast and the mountains out here too much to leave anytime soon!

:D

Last edited:
RickM said:
I agree that the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim is an amazing hike. My brother and I did it twice last year. In May we did it as a two day trip, overnighting at the North Rim Lodge. In November we did the one day roundtrip. After the May trip we climbed Mt. Humphrey's on the third day. Someone we met on the trail told us we had done what they call a "Hole to Hump," going from the Colorado River to the summit of Humphrey's in a day.

When I hiked Humphries a few years ago, while lingering on the summit I met a trail runner in his mid-60s who mentioned his attempt at the "Hump to the Hole" in less than 24 hours (also included running the distance between Humphries and the South Rim). I cannot remember the guy's name, but he said that he had lots of age-based endurance records that Rick Trujilo out of Trinidad, Colorado, was picking off one by one as he grew into older age categories. He also told me that he did not complete the hike down to Phantom, as he was pretty dehydrated on arriving at the South Rim, although his two partners made it in less than 24 hours, I think.

Stinkyfeet said:
Hmm, let's see here...

Grand Canyon R2R2R
Colorado Trail thru-hike
Appalachian Trail thru-hike
Hardrock 100
and...
I'll jump the gun here and say the John Muir Trail this summer 'cuz it's going to be awesome. :D

Stinkyfeet

Pretty impressive list, Stinkyfeet. I am really envious about your trip to the JMT this summer. Do you plan to run the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier if they get the park repaired?

Dr. D, from what I hear, the Wonderland Trail is a mess, so it would probably be prudent to put that one on hold for a couple of years. I will attempt Mt. Rainier (and Hood, Whitney, & Boundary) this summer, however. :)

Stinkyfeet said:
Dr. D, from what I hear, the Wonderland Trail is a mess, so it would probably be prudent to put that one on hold for a couple of years. I will attempt Mt. Rainier (and Hood, Whitney, & Boundary) this summer, however. :)

Hi Stinkyfeet,

I knew that you moved to California, but did not realize that you were after the state high points until I just read your blog. If you have not been to Kings and Borah yet, both are very runnable, although Borah is wicked steep (and drier than the Grand Canyon if late season). I think that Granite is the most technical, and the Gannett the longest, not counting Denali.

I am postponing another try on Denali for at least one more year while I attempt to rehab left shoulder, but perhaps there will be another VFFT expedition there by then?

Dr. D.