Handguns on the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adirobdack46r

Reaction score
I did a search for gun, pistol, etc. and found very few references so I'm sorry if this has been a thread before, as I could not find one.

Guns in general can be a very controversial subject. My pupose is not to create a pro-vs-anti fight that the mediator will have to put a stop to.

Please let me state that I have never hiked with a handgun, so keep that in mind before jumping all over me. This is intended to be nothing more than an informational thread.

I hiked with a group last year where two of the hikers were PACKIN', and I'm just wondering how common this is. Do I pass by people every time I hike that are armed and don't even know it, or is this rare?

hikin' with burners (verse 1)

for years i've had the habit
of totin' glocks up on cabot
cuz' i'd rather have it & not need it
then need it and then not have it...

In this instance it was two women (sisters) and they had rather long barreled revolvers on their sides that stuck out past the bottom of their jackets. And they openly mentioned that they had them.

Once upon a time a group of 4? guys set out to hike a section of the CT AT (from Bulls Bridge to Kent) during a hot summer day.
3 of them were in good physical shape and had been hiking/backpacking before. The fourth was not in good shape and this was his first time in the "woods", and for some reason figured that a handgun would provide safety.
As the hike went on, two of the strongest went up ahead. The third strongest decided to also leave the stragler and meet up with him later...
...so, after the 3 faster, experienced hikers met up and realized that they were waiting way too long for their friend they headed back.
They found him sitting down collapsed on the trail, delirious from heat exhaustion, holding his gun in his hand...

Lesson: The inexperienced or paranoid carry too much and can become a danger to themselves and others. :D

But seriously, in most our trail systems in the US it is unnecessary to carry a firearm. You might say "But what if a bear/crazy person/Texan threatens me on the trail?" - well, if we paid attention to all the what ifs that could happen out there then we'd be carrying everything and the kitchen sink.

Best of Luck

cbcbd said:
But seriously, in most our trail systems in the US it is unnecessary to carry a firearm. You might say "But what if a bear/crazy person/Texan threatens me on the trail?" - well, if we paid attention to all the what ifs that could happen out there then we'd be carrying everything and the kitchen sink.
I get a feeling that the people who carry guns on a trailed hiking trip in popular areas couldn't stop a real bear/animal attack with a gun.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I have never carried myself while hiking in the Adirondacks. I once took a friend who insisted on taking his 9mm. I tried to talk him out of it but that did not happen.

His reason was because of the bear and did not want to get attacked! Every single sound he heard while we were camping he let his imagination get the best of him. Funny to a point but I am just glad he did not fire the thing :eek:

adirobdack46r said:
In this instance it was two women (sisters) and they had rather long barreled revolvers on their sides that stuck out past the bottom of their jackets. And they openly mentioned that they had them.
:D Reminds me of the scene in "Get Shorty";
Ray Bones: "..you must be one of those quick draw artists cuz of the way you got your gun tucked way down in your pants like that.."

I don't know how many hikers carry a gun, many more in the US than Canada. More in ME, NH and CT than VT, MA & NY I'd guess because of the laws. There are VERY specific "concealed carry" and "open carry" laws in each state. I could be 100% legal in CT and do 5 years hard time if I walked across the border into MA. Unless these ladies were in ME (where there are open carry allowances) there's an excellent chance they were not carrying legally, even if they had a permit. A criminal would shoot them first. Any other "danger" could be more easily and accurately dispatched with a sharp stick, I'd bet.

Outside of hiking you would probably be surprised how many you pass that carry handguns anyways.
I used to work with a guy who carried concealed every place he went, grocery store, etc. He had his permit to carry concealed and felt it was his constitutional right. HUGE NRA supporter.
Worked with another guy who was a shop owner and also carried every place he went.
I'm just thinking that if people are carrying them hiking, they probably carry them at other times too.

Dangerous

adirobdack46r said:
To give more info, this happened to be in the Adirondack High Peaks Region and the girls said they had concealed carry permits.
they're probably just putting innocent people or animals at risk. Most likely if they were in any real life situation (ambushed by a criminal, a real bear attack, moose stampeding, mountain lion etc.) the gun wouldn't do them any good. No, most likely they'd fire at a lurking bear (that wasn't going to attack) or some noise that turns out to be some poor slob bushwhacker.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Ok, this is the response I gave once before to a similar thread. I still feel it holds true, so I will give you the same advice.

I am a Life Member of the NRA, hold a carry permit for the state of NH, a Hunter, and own handguns. Whats the number one weapon I would carry in the woods?................a nice, stout bladed knife.

There is a few problems with handguns that need addressing. First of all Im more worried about 4 legged critters on the trail than 2 legged, and unfortunately to be of any reasonable defense against bigger animals you need more powerful cartridges. Thus for "serious" defense you are pretty much stuck with a big and heavy chunk of steel on your side. For most, the prospect of carrying 2 or more pounds of metal on top of all our other gear is not very pleasing. "Snub nosed" handguns are no answer either since they are either hard to control or reduce the abilities of the round enough to make them useless against big animals (fine against humans, but not moose and bear.) If an animal has you down for the count and your gun runs empty.....well, oops there, again no help.

But with a nice sheat knife, with a strong, stout blade, and of a decent length (no need to go Rambo here) you are offered a few more options. You can always keep stabbing the offending critter. Plus the blade serves more purpose outside of defense. Cutting small amounts of wood in a survival situation. Makeshift spear. The possibilities are endless. Plus, most people you meet on the trail will probably think nothing of a hiker with a sheathed knife. But a handgun makes for more uncomfortable conversation.......concealed or not (and lets face it, in light summer hiking gear its gonna be tough to hide that big a chunk of steel.)

So if your serious about this, give the knife a consideration.

Brian

I would never carry a firearm in the Whites imo there is little to no need. I will say that a previous poster suggesting that someone carrieing a gun has a chance to injure someone is nonsense, people who own guns rarely shoot themselves in the foot like alot of non gun owners think. I have and proboly will carry one out west though. The reasons for this are twofold. I have been stalked by a mountain Lion, while I make no claim that I could shoot one effectively with a handgun, chances are just shooting it in the air would be enough. Second reason, when out west I car camp way in the backcountry, Ive been harrssed by local yahoos on 2 occasions, make no mistake about it, I have no desire to even come close to wanting to defend myself with a gun, but push comes to shove, I really dont want to be left for dead either. Its sad but in todays world there are some bad people out there, I do belive people in this day and age have every right to take precautions.
As far as those ladies having pistols showing, thats a mistake imo.

Now a 9mm might stop a Mountain Lion if hit in a vital area but people have fended off attacks without a gun too. (5' 110 types don't fare as well as bigger people & Lions do take size into account)

Would a 9mm stop a bear of just p!$$ him off? From memory, you'd have to be a pretty good shot to down one with a 30.06 hitting him in a non-vital area could just make him attack you. Dad had no interest in taking his 30.06 bear hunting

I suspect some people carry them to protect themselves from people, most assaults take place near the road, while a solitary female hiker may be a target to a criminal if they have to hike in all day to attack you, that is too much work.

There are easier targets to prey on then going into the 100 Mile Wilderness or Panther Gorge looking for a victim. Small State parks littered in green glass would be a place to avoid, there are a couple of shelters not too far from trailheads, if signs of kids partying, stay someplace else. How many trouble makers carry in a case of beer to Panther Gorge of deep into the Pemi (& that one is pretty flat too.) Closing time at bars would be a better place to find a victim...

i know someone who carrys most of the time, including backpacking. i wouldn't even know it unless i already knew. he's well trained and knows what he's doing. its a non issue (to me).

i would venture to say most of the responsible people who carry do pass you unnoticed every day on the trails, on the sidewalks and in the supermarket aisle :)

Yes, you definitely pass very sane, civil, peace-loving gun-owners when you hike in New Hampshire and Maine. They are not afraid of animals or people. They are intelligent enough to know that bad people exist. High Horse's poem says it well... they decide to have it if needed...simple.

Sierra's post is perfect. Gun opponents are so completely full of inaccurate assumptions and stereotypes about gun-owners, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The assumption of some that a person is unable to save themselves from a murderer even if they have a gun is utterly removed from reality. People save themselves from killers every day, but don't expect mainstream media to report what doesn't fit their agenda.

cbcbd assumes that gun owners are paranoid. Shall we label gun opponents as naive? That's nonsense.

I don't carry in the forest, but I don't worry about those who do.

Kudos to everyone so far, this is a long-lived gun thread! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.