Hiking Skirts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like all the responses.

I notice several refer to ‘skorts’. Unless I’m missing something, that kind of defeats the purpose of a skirt for the ‘bio break’. Aren’t they just shorts with extra material to look like a skirt? Seems like too much material.

Nothing beats a sarong for hiking/backpacking. You can use it as a skirt, a dress, towel, sleeping pad, blanket, tourniquet, sling, tablecloth, privacy screen, exotic dance costume, you name it...
I think a sarong might be too much material also (and I can just picture a branch catching and pulling it off :eek:).
After getting my head beyond the "they look too sissy for me" mindset, ... The fabric patterns are *wild*!! :D
I don’t have an issue of being a girl but I don’t think I’m into wild patterns. I was trail running in bright yellow shorts once and the bees thought I was a flower. :)
Of the two skirts that you linked, in my opinion they seem tad long and might bind your legs when climbing.
I agree they may be a bit long but I know how to use scissors if I find that to be the case. I don’t think I like the wrap-a-round of a kilt to blow open in the wind.
I just couldn't do it.
But it did cross my mind when I saw them for sale CHEAP (compared to the posted links!) at Marshall's. Great selection and maybe I just might try one.......some day......
Marshall’s and TJ Maxx is where I find most of my favorite pieces. I’ll be checking there first.

kmac: the MH Arroyo looks nice, too.

While trekking in the warmer elevations of Nepal, I wore a sundress. Most comfy thing I've every backpacked in!!! Also very easy to wash it out by hand and let it dry overnight. Not to mention the "easy access" when Mother Nature calls. Why should the guys get all the breaks??

I got way beyond the girlie thing when Mountain Hardware started designing women's gear in PINK and Burt's Bee's started adding tint to thier lip balm. No shame in being a strong and stylish hardcore outdoor girlie girl!!! I say, "work it!".

EMS was marketing a rugged, stretchy skort last season, water resistant made of softshell type material.
http://www.ems.com/1/1/2706-ems-womens-compass-skort.html
I think this year I will invest in a hiking skort but I'd rather buy something all around for hiking/running/biking.

Thanks for the link, Sue, lots of neat stuff! I plan to do tons more road bike training in 2009 and that warrants a fitness wear shopping spree. :D

Last edited:
What's the advantage??

I notice several refer to ‘skorts’. Unless I’m missing something, that kind of defeats the purpose of a skirt for the ‘bio break’. Aren’t they just shorts with extra material to look like a skirt? Seems like too much material.

Carol , I have to agree. What is the point in adding more when I want less? Just doesn't seem to be any advantage ?? ! What am I missing?

I realize a real skirt , w/o undies could be a big diff, but I'm def not going there!:D

Back in the early 70s, when I was working in Boston and riding on the back of a friend's motorcycle during lunch or after work, I used to get in trouble because I wore something like a skort that had a front and rear panel that made it look like a skirt. Pants/shorts were a big no, no. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. They didn't like my mini skirts, either. Especially when I'd wear them and ride the motorcycle, too. :eek: Call me a rebel! :p

Edit: The panels could be buttoned in place or removed completely. I thought it was a perfect compromise.

Last edited:
I realize a real skirt , w/o undies could be a big diff, but I'm def not going there!:D
I just may give that a try especially for trail running. :D
But I’m looking at it from the point of a skirt doesn’t expose your back side like dropping your shorts (ever been caught mooning? :eek:). Also most underwear has enough stretch to pull aside rather then down if you have a skirt on. Seems like it would be quick, easier, and not as necessary to hide behind a rock.

Buttttttttttttttttt.....

The skirt may allow for some more privacy while taking pitstops, but I find that the chances for unwanted flashings would be too great while trailrunning. It seems that if I'm just hiking, then I have no problem going further off trail for all the privacy I want. Usually just pulling the shorts off to the side works well for quickie pitstops while running. The skirt just seems to be too binding if it maintains coverage, and then too risky if it is loose and flouncy.

I like the short shorts for running and the short skirts for other outings. :D

Hi Carole:
Note my picture. I hike in the mens version of the Mountain Hardware Kilt.
Previous posters point out( correctly) that it is longer than the womens skirt.
I wear smartwool shorts under it (even in summer). I love the freedom and the coolbreezes:rolleyes: The pockets are deep so I don't lose stuff..
I also own skirts from The North Face, and Macabi, though I get weird looks with the Macabi.
I will not go back to shorts/pants. In cooler weather, I have insulated long underwear and wear it beneath.
I'm waiting for a winter version I can ice climb in....:eek:
Sandy

I have been wearing a hiking skirt for about 2 years or so....it's skort and it is hot.....so yes, it defeats the purpose but if you want to look girly on the trail why not? What I do like about it is that the side have zippers so I get full range of motion and the material is stretchy....I do have some design ideas for a practical and functional hiking skirt though......Chinook???

I have thought about wearing some of the non-skort skirts but I'm worried about a couple of things: first the waistbelt from the pack might cause the skirt to bunch up or twist around and second there is the concern about possible chaffing. I also thought a tennis skirt might work so I bought one and they are just way to short and the material was funky. I have looked at some of the other skirts out there and they look nice and all but seriously some of them are just too complicated....and why would someone design a skirt that is only held together with one tiny dot of velcro??

-MEB

MEB
No problem with the skirt riding up. Mtn Hardwear even has a chamois waistband.
To solve the chafing issue, I wear Ibex 'shorties' They come to mid-thigh and do not ride up. They are very cool and do not hold odors. We want to look AND smell like girls out there!!!
The skirt in fromt is held with a snap and a buckle which is adjustable.
Sandy

uh-o....I mean hot as in temperature hot....not hot "hot":eek:

Trainwreck... I have looked at the Moutain Hardware....I think they could have simplfied the design a bit....ok, I have to snap her, adjust this, etc....maybe I am being too picky:)

-MEB

Good points on waistbelts. As I recall, the EMS one rode low on the waist -- I do think I was a bit skeptical about the way it fastened, however, I did like the undergarment -- it was a silky short similar to running shorts but made out of extremely thin fabric.

The other thing that's held me back in the past is that I tend to buttslide down ledges (thinking Cats, Daks here)-- so the material of the hiking skort would have to stand up to that.

I think Chinooktrail is going to have to start designing the ideal hiking skort -- I'm sure I'd buy one!

I just realized something. Skirts are nothing more than crotchless shorts. OMG :eek:

Last edited:
Carole!!
That thing is loooooong! Are you going to run in it? or tent in it??:D:D

:D Yes, I may find it too long - but it is easier to buy it long and make it shorter than to buy it short and make it longer.