Hiking Skirts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the confusion might come from not knowing whether you were wearing the kilt "regimental style" or not. I assume not, since you mention long underwear in an earlier post.

[thread drift]

Curious...

Sporting a kilt sans a boxer/brief/manthong is called "regimental style," and wearing jeans over a bare a$$ is referred to as "going commando."

Whaddup wit dat?

Does having the boys roaming free somehow make you fight better? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

[/thread drift]

[thread drift]

Curious...

Sporting a kilt sans a boxer/brief/manthong is called "regimental style," and wearing jeans over a bare a$$ is referred to as "going commando."

Whaddup wit dat?

Does having the boys roaming free somehow make you fight better? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

[/thread drift]

Depending on your location (think hot desert sand) it may just make you annoyed and angry as all get out...maybe that makes you fight better?!

Wow Carole,
Interesting thread. Way to go girl.
This thread's been going for almost a month.

I usually stay out of these for very simple reasons:eek:

But...........for what it's worth..About 5 years ago, I took all my kids up Lafayette in August. On the way up the OBP we ran into 2 hut workers, boys, about 18 -20?? yrs. old, wearing........yup SKIRTS! Definitely not kilts.
The terry type, you know, like a sweatshirt material.
Oh my.......Have I been out of hiking that long???????

You're talking to someone that still wears Levis 505 rinsed 34 x 34. (not for hiking)
Yes change comes hard.

Oh, I don't know if I can do that:confused::eek:
Well, I was glad to see others wearing shorts. Whoo!:)

I'll never say never, but was glad that I won't have to make that decision for now.
Girls, go for it. Whatever is comfy.
Besides, the look is great!
Guys, hmmm. I'll stand clear of that one!

I didn't read all the post thoroughly but Stinkyfeet made a comment about taking scissors to liners?? And I know the post is about skirts, BUT, My pet peev is, why do all the makers of shorts feel we need liners anyway?

I love my running skirt although the layers make it warm to wear in the summer when its hot outside. I have not tried a skirt for hiking but I think I would want to mid thigh length w/o a built in panty. Having a panty built in takes away some of advantages of a skirt when nature calls. A quick drying fabric with a soft waistband. Some pockets for snacks and the like. I find alot of my running and biking gear at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I ahve ordered from both Title 9 and Athleta but those vendors can be pricy.

I picked up a Sierra Designs "hiking skirt" a few years back, I've worn it hiking a few times, but it's a wrap-around and definately not reccommended on breezy days. It's comfortable and all, just not what I'd call a "hiking skirt". I have another from Title Nine (which does have some great stuff when you can find it on sale) but I haven't hiked in it cause it's just too cute! TJMaxx is the best for finding nice quality clothing on sale. All this warm weather clothing talk has got me sooo ready for SPRING!!!!

I have a nice skort (Columbia, I think?) that I've only used hiking once because I like it for regular summer wear. I did discover that it was a lot warmer than shorts because of the extra material. The material was thin and stretchy and the skort no longer than hiking shorts, so for moving on the trail and stepping up, it was quite comfortable. Heat gets to me though, so that was a deal breaker.

As for wearing a skirt with underwear, I like the idea in theory, but I do way too much butt sliding to want to worry about that. I also don't want to have to think about flashing anyone behind me as I am climbing.

So, practical gal that I am, and I'll be sticking to shorts!

follow up

I’m in love!!
I’ve had the pleasure of giving the skirts a try (I found second shorter one in TJ Maxx). I’ve been running, scrambling up slopes, off trail, trail work, in the wind and just la-de-da hiking. I can’t say which one I like over the other but I definitely see the benefit over shorts – quicker, easier pee break; cool comfort; easier to check for ticks (haven’t seen one yet); fun to wear.

My kilt is still going strong!

I've been wearing a Sportkilt now for about 8 years, only switching to hated pants for hiking during really cold weather. I've only had a couple kilt mishaps during that time; call it a learning curve. The kilt is the perfect hiking attire, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Helps with chaffing, helps with freedom of movement, and attracts lots of female attention. To the few who have had a funny comment, I can't say as I really care what they think.
So, the kilt will be with me for many more years. I can say that the only problem with it is on a windy summit. (Think the Marilyn Monroe scene...) It's that time of year again, so if you see a guy in a kilt, stop and say "hi".

I can say that the only problem with it is on a windy summit. (Think the Marilyn Monroe scene...)

A bit of photographic evidence of the same:

kilts2.jpg

A kilt certainly is a skirt. It meets all of the tests of being a skirt. Why are some men so sexually insecure that they can't recognize that a kilt is just one of the dozens of varieties of skirts? Women don't have that mental issue. As a man I wouldn't be caught dead in a kilt. Too heavy. Too ugly. Too expensive. Just too uncomfortable. I love my $5.00 miniskirts. No, my male parts still function even though I have been wearing a SKIRT for about 15 years. No choice. I donated all of my pants to charity. No regrets either. I am a manly man who is not in denial of the obvious. A skirt is a skirt is a skirt. DUH!!!!!

A kilt certainly is a skirt. It meets all of the tests of being a skirt. Why are some men so sexually insecure that they can't recognize that a kilt is just one of the dozens of varieties of skirts? Women don't have that mental issue. As a man I wouldn't be caught dead in a kilt. Too heavy. Too ugly. Too expensive. Just too uncomfortable. I love my $5.00 miniskirts. No, my male parts still function even though I have been wearing a SKIRT for about 15 years. No choice. I donated all of my pants to charity. No regrets either. I am a manly man who is not in denial of the obvious. A skirt is a skirt is a skirt. DUH!!!!!

Well that is one of the more interesting first posts from a new member...hi, and welcome to the forum!

The caretaker at Imp last summer (while I was there at least) wore a skirt. Didn't really think anything of it at the time - seemed like a good gear choice given the extreme heat and humidity we experienced.

I find loose shorts more comfortable than a skirt. I like the wicking effect that legs give and find that more important than air flow.

There was a man who came to our library wearing a skirt. That was ok. It was the blouse and necklace that made it feel awkward. But still, that was ok.

My girlfriend thru hiked the AT in 2012. Her trail name is Purple Rain. She started out with convertible pants from Rei. Those lasted about 100 miles. Soon moved to a running shorts/ icebreaker legging combo. Finished the hike out in a similar combo to this. She was frustrated by the combo for many reasons.
She spent the winter after her hike designing a hiking skirt which we took on the PCT last summer, hiking the Oregon section. The skirt uses a yoga style waistband so there are no buttons or other awkward fasteners that apply pressure with a backpack's waist belt. The skirts have pockets which allow for easy access to phone and map/guidebook pages. Easy to layer with leggings (I.e. You don't have to take off your shorts to remove leggings when getting hot. Airflow is huge she says. Also, she can stop, squat, and pee with little effort. She just started selling them on etsy and locally here in portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short, muscular legs and skirts are not the best combo .... but unfortunately short and muscular describe the legs I have :D.
Like chinooktrail, I prefer skorts, but have a hiking skirt which I found nearly new at a thrift store. It's Royal Robbins, I believe, and it's a water resistant fabric. I've only worn it once, but I'm with erugs on the wicking potential of a short vs. a skirt. So, for me skorts or a not-too-short short is what works. The skorts I've worn have been LLBean and Columbia .... nothing fancy, just comfortable.

Purple Rain is working on a men's wrap skirt that will be rad for hiking on the AT, especially the hot and humid mid-atlantic states. I've been rocking one out all Fall in the Pacific Northwest. Love it so far. Loosely based on the Kelty wrap skirt form the 90's that they no longer make... I think she should have them up on her site before Xmas. Also, she's offering free shipping thru the end of the year