Hiking Skirts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone start a poll?
I would love to see how many of us would dare to wear a skirt/kilt to hike in?
Ya all have me thinkin' of getting one!

I'll probably regret posting this link but my husband sent it to me.
realmenwearkilts

We both like this one:
"WHAT'S WORN UNDER YOUR KILT?"
Nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.

Let me also add that a ton of the male thru-hikers this past year wore kilts at one time or another. They weren't wool-they were synthetic and usually made by Mountain Hardware. It apparently really helped with chafing issues, most wore nothing underneath, which is apparent in at least on picture I have! (with a group of us posing on those tractor seats in the Shenandoah) I did try on a skirt halfway through the hike when I was desperately needed new pants, but the ones I found were too long (and ugly-looking) and I went with new shorts instead.

This is a great thread!

Believe me, I have been collecting all of the information I can.

So, what are the features people REALLY want in a hiking skirt?

Seems there are now so many on the market, as opposed to about 8 years ago when I believe Terry was the only company selling skirts to bikers. That was the first skirt I hiked in, and it was, and still is very comfortable.

There also seems to be two camps here, traditional skirts, and skorts.

I suppose that all depends on the reasons you want to wear the skirt/skort in the first place.

Going commando in a skirt on a hiking trail, hum, I believe I am far too shy for that. :eek: Even when I hike in a skort I always volunteer to go last in the group, but probably because I am a little too um, modest... But power to you if thats what your goal is!

MEB has been thinking this over a lot for a while and raises some great points.

What is everyones 'wish list' for design features on a hiking skirt?

For now lets just stick with a 'specific to hiking' skirt.

Who knows, you may just see one in your local retaier in the very near future!

:rolleyes:;):)

I will start.

Pockets, the one thing I don't like about my Terry skirt or my Patagonia is the lack of pockets.

I understand the Terry skirt, because it is made for biking, and most of my bike shirts have pockets on the back, and I am on the bike, so I have loads of places to keep things and it is far more comfortable to ride that way.

The Patagonia skirt has only one tiny zippered pocket, makes it looks sleek and all for wearing out 'after' a hike, but not so great for hiking... you have to take your pack off just to get a map, not so great.

Features I'd like to see

A brief that doesn't result in a wedgie.

Seriously. I have taken the scissors to more than a few pairs of shorts and running skirts.

Also, interesting prints... length options... maybe a gathered version vs. the more commonly seen straight or A-line cut.

I like the idea of one larger pocket in the back, big enough for a couple of gels and a car key.

I remember those Terry skirts, too!

Sue (getting ready to put on a skirt and go for a run :))

:eek:

Ok...you've answered (I think) a question I've had for a while...having seen GUYS in skirts coming off the AT both in the Bigelows and in Gorham, NH. Now, I certainly hope that the guy in the skirt climbs up the rungs/ladders LAST...ewie

As a kilt-wearer myself I can say the biggest problem comes when you take that first step down out of a fire tower. Think Marilyn Monroe over the air grate.

Features I'd like to see

The material needs to be fast drying. It would be helpful on long rainy backpacking trips, and also if you go for a dip intentionally, or unintentionally!

The material needs to be fast drying. It would be helpful on long rainy backpacking trips, and also if you go for a dip intentionally, or unintentionally!

I’m hesitant to mention this given I have already been red squared for mentioning undergarments, but I noticed an unintentional consequence of a kilt over long underwear. If the kilt becomes wet, as it did early in the season on the Hancock hike, it will transfer the moisture to your long underwear and the results will be that your boots will fill with water, as mine did.

Pockets, multiple and deep. At least one zippered for valubles.
Quick drying.
Adjustable length. ie; drawstrings up the side seams.
loose fitting. Adjustable waistband (elastic looks kinda dorky)
wide enough at the bottom hem so high stepping is possible (and to pretend we ARE Marilyn Monroe on firetowers:D.
I own 4 hiking skirts. None of them have ALL of these properties. I also own a Terry skirt. Really best for biking.
Sandy

I haven't seen anyone comment on running skirts. I've seen them on the trail and the are cute. Are they any good or just for looks. I hope both. :)

While hiking up the Sawyer River Rd heading to Carrigain one of the ladies in our party needed a bio-break. Unfortunately there is no where to go privately. You either hike down this huge cliff or hike up a huge slide. There were also about ten people come up the road behind us, so time was limited. I simply took off my kilt and she put it on and dropped trou and did her business. She was totally covered. After she finished she gave me back my kilt and off we went. Behold, the power of the kilt!!

So HOW did the kilt help?

You took off your kilt for the lovely lady and all the others took off running scared into the woods thereby giving her plenty of privacy?? :D VERY Cool idea! :D

You took off your kilt for the lovely lady and all the others took off running scared into the woods thereby giving her plenty of privacy?? :D VERY Cool idea! :D

Something like that.;) The kilt acted as bio screen for privacy. What can I say, it worked.

Just bumping this up to add a link to a catalog I just received--

www.athleta.com

some really nice stuff - mainly swim suits but also skorts, shorts, tanks, tees and all around fitness rags for women --- REALLY like thier stuff -- haven't tried any yet but the fabrics/colors/graphics are HOT!