Hiking with class: 3 new winter 46ers on Hough Peak [03/18/07]

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alavigne

Reaction score
Jenn and I wanted to finish off the winter season in the 'daks with a couple more peaks... but what really made the day was co-ordinating to do this hike with Mark, Linda, and Peter -- all of whom needed Hough Peak as their final winter 46er peak.

We planned a route that would go over Dix and onto Hough (Jenn and I needed Dix as well as Hough). The day's forecast looked positively yucky, with the tail end of the recent snowstorm lingering around. So, our weather expectations weren't high.

We started off with light snow falling; it was trailbreaking for most of the trip, although there was a firm base underneath the recent snows, so it wasn't too strenuous. Very windy and no visibility on top of Dix, so we didn't dally there for long. In any case, the real prize today was Hough, and I was honoured to be nearby when Mark, Linda and Peter made their well-deserved 46th winter peak. Congrats to all of you! Amazingly, the weather even cleared up on the summit of Hough Peak, as if in general approval with their well-deserved achievement.

On the descent, we decided to try a route down east into the Boquet River valley from the col between Hough and Dix, which worked suprisingly well.

Much more detail and pictures and tracks, etc., can be found here

Special Peak

After 30 years of hiking in the Adirondacks a good friend finished his winter 46 on Hough the day before. That made 4 winter 46ers finishing on the same peak in one weekend. Amazing!