How can you tell if you encounter a VFTT member on the trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paradox said:
I have asked perhaps a dozen groups if any of them have heard of the website "Views from the Top". No one has said yes... yet. It's concise, direct, the truth, and never elicits strange looks. Why not try that? :cool:

And because I am a "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" I would have to say that a T-shirt sporting one of Darren's photographs would be relatively inexpensive, stylish, and easily recognized by all of us.

Oh yes he is, oh yes he is!

I bet, (of course with permission,copywriteprotection,etc.) Parodox wouldn't mind being put in charge of getting those Tee-shirts

the decal, patch, or just asking are the best bets

never met anyone on the trail and had it come up, have had it come up with another hiking club I am in, found out that I had responded to threads that were started by people I already knew and hiked with, kinda funny

After talking to someone for a few minutes if they sound like a hiking lunatic planning 20 mile hikes to view-less peaks, then I ask, they probably do know VFTT If they aren't a member yet, thsy sound like they would be a good new member.

Or if you are out on a miserable day peakbagging in April, almost anyone else you meet is a diehard & probably a VFTT member as Frodo & I can attest too meeting on Fishin Jimmy a year or two ago. :D

Teejay, rhihn, and I recognized ADK_dib's dog from his avatar on Goodnow!! We're actually not sure what ADK_dib looks like -- it was too foggy on top!!I've met several on the ADK trails, but most of them were at the same gathering!! :rolleyes: Okay... of my inquiries many have not heard of, but several have some knowledge. The minority were members. I'm also not afraid to mention alligator eggs and it often leads to why I mentioned it. It's a bit different now that we have closed membership. I used to feel that I was helping people out by letting them know about a valuable resource. This was especially true a few years ago when ADK hikers had fewer (if any) alternatives.

Blue said:
I've had several people ask "Are you Blue from VFTT?", including people I know from the site and lurkers.

Strangely enough, that has never happened to me. And I almost always hike wearing shorts!

I have run into quite a few VFTTers over the years on the trails, and had quite a few also ask me if I was SherpaKroto from VFTT. Might be because I have a big mouth. but I certainly love meeting new hkers on the trails!

Last July Marty, Shizzmac and a few other nuts were hiking Goose Eye in a torrential downpour. Seriously lousy weatehr, but no T-Storms, so we decided to hike it anyway. On descent we passed a solo hiker, said a few words, and continued. One of the few times I didn't ask if they knew VFTT. It was Injektilo!

dentonfabrics said:
Strangely enough, that has never happened to me. And I almost always hike wearing shorts!

Well, maybe if you got some fake blood and had a permanent scar on your right knee, it would be more recognizable.. :)

Sherpa, when I met you at the catskills gathering, I instantly knew that was you.. Maybe it was your big mouth!

It's funny, I "virtually" met Inkjectilo on a Subaru Outback forum. I saw that an "inkjectilo" registerd on VfTT and figured, how many "inkjectilo"s can there be...

Jay

Jay H said:
It's funny, I "virtually" met Inkjectilo on a Subaru Outback forum. I saw that an "inkjectilo" registerd on VfTT and figured, how many "inkjectilo"s can there be...
well, since Subaru is the unofficial vehicle of VFTT, this should come as no surprise...

Bump

I thought I would bump this up - for two reasons.

First, at Lonesome Lake last week a photographer on the hut shoreline asked if I was Tim from Views From The Top, unprompted. Second, there are lots of people who've joined since June of 2006...

So if you hear someone say "Alligator Eggs?" you should respond "Why yes, I do read Views From The Top".

Tim

At the risk of appearing to be a newbie(which I am) and since you bumped it up - what's the deal with "alligator eggs"?

It's a secret code word. When you see someone on the trail who you think might be a VFTT'er, you say "alligator eggs" to identify yourself. If the other hiker is a VFTT'er, then he can introducte him/herself. If he's not a VFTT'er, then he'll probably cut a wide path around you, eyeing you suspiciously as he passes. That's how I've found it works...

I think Wu came up with it.

Last edited:
When I ran into Drewski two weeks ago on Zealand Road, I recall that I did conversationally use "alligator eggs" in a sentence....

I find Alligator Egg too embarrassing so I prefer to break out into a loud, prolonged and somewhat demential Woody-Woodpecker laugh.

You don't have to use "alligator eggs?" but at least you know what it means if asked.

About 3 months ago, dug showed up to work at my (old) office and when we were introduced, that's what he said. I immediately laughed, shook his hand, and replied "bikehikeskifish". Only after that did we get our real names straight ;) And I kept wanting to call him "dug" too ;) The person who introduced us was rather confused.

The other popular question is "Any Views From The Top?" which has been known to make the connection. I found it humorous that this was the first time I was "recognized".

Tim

While heading towards Galehead Hut from the summit of South Twin this past year I had a young lady ask me if I was on VFTT. I said I was and asked her what her screen name was. She said that she was a lurker, but recognized me from my avatar. It was kind of flattering for this old guy. :cool:

Woody48 said:
While heading towards Galehead Hut from the summit of South Twin this past year I had a young lady ask me if I was on VFTT. I said I was and asked her what her screen name was. She said that she was a lurker, but recognized me from my avatar. It was kind of flattering for this old guy. :cool:
I've offended so many people on this site that if people ask I deny any knowledge of VFTT and deliberately use words that don't incorporate the letters W and U. I think my popularity has waned now that people know what a jerk I really am.

Also, my avatar is a picture of my deceased cat, Mr. Tappy, (and not me) and in addition, I've gained about 150lbs since the last picture of me was posted on VFTT so I'm pretty much anonymous by now and have no worries of people recognizing me "on the trail." I'm practically in the Hiker's Protection Program now and live in constant fear for my petty and miserably bankrupt life.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited: