How do you store your gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store my gear Oscar Madison style, in piles located thoughout the house.

there is something very satisfying about being able to stand in one spot in your house and see every single thing you own, just by turning your head. organizing it would only ruin the effect.

there is something very satisfying about being able to stand in one spot in your house and see every single thing you own, just by turning your head. organizing it would only ruin the effect.

I can see most of the stuff I own by standing in the "man cave" (basement). Lots and lots of shelves. I don't have "that much" (hiking) gear, but I do have a set of shelves for each of the activities - Biking, Hiking, Skiing and Fishing. Actually, bikes (4 for me, plus 2 for my wife) + bike stuff takes up the most room by far, followed by fishing, followed by hiking. Skis fit neatly in the ceiling and don't take up "any room at all".

Tim

Last edited:
Fishing poles slide nicely on the rafters too. I'm not a fisherman but the seller left some old poles in my unfinished basement, just slid along some non-load bearing ceiling joists.

I've been looking at building some DIY bike racks just using wood but I get so busy with real house projects, that hasn't happened. However, I managed to pick up a Saris Bones 3-bike rack free from Freecycle last year, It's a trunk mounted rack but I think I could convert that and use that as a bike holder. It's a nice rack, can't believe the guy was throwing it out as it's in perfect shape. I also picked up another perfectly fine Thule trunk rack but I gave that one to MattC.

My skis (i only have 1 pair!) sit in a ski bag upstairs in the same room. My kayak paddles get kind of laid up on the side but I have big duffel bags of various gear so it's somewhat compartmentalized...

I wish I had a garage but I don't so it works...

Jay

Oh, the fishing poles are up in the joists too, believe me. It's the boxes and boxes of tackle, and bucktails and stuff that takes up the room. The bikes hang from the ceiling too, BTW, but you can't walk underneath them, nor store too much below because they hang down quite a ways.

Tim

I have two totes in the basement, with stuff on the floor and the bar. The packs on tossed on top of the totes. My two sleeping bags hang in the walk in bedroom closet. Clothing is mixed in with my regular stuff. Heavy coats, vests, pullovers misc hats and gloves are mixed in with stuff in the two main floor closets. Several pieces hang on the back of a dining room chair. (I get a lot of crap for that one.) Cooking/eating gear is in the pantry or in the corner of the kitchen counter. Tents, stoves and fuel are in the garage. My hammock & bivy are in the basement with my sleeping pads. Hiking poles are next to the fireplace. Day packs often sit on the floor by the side door and sometimes for days on a kitchen chair. Misc stuff is always in the back of the van. Most of the whole bottom drawer of the refridgerator is filled with trail food.

I can find everything I need when I need it but I don't know where my ice walker cleats are but I haven't looked for them yet.

My wife is a wonderfull person. :)

Last edited:
WOW, and we thought we were neurotic:D No we do that too. Our garage is set up with plastic tubs filled with our gear: Bike, ski gear, backpacking, car camping, backpacking, sleeping bags( 0 and 20 degree separate), so on and so forth, just to name a few. All labeled so we can find stuff when we want it. Even have a tall slot on the end for our downhill skis and x-country skis and other tall stuff. All of this is on shelves on one side of the garage. While the other side of the garage has shelves for hubby's work stuff. This is all set up so we can actually use the garage for what it is intended for.....our cars.:D Oh and our bikes are hanging over our freezer and we have a shelf for x-tra boots and shoes.

I guess I fall into the Oscar Madison category.

Canoes and kayaks are racked up in the garage, with paddles

Bikes and bike helmets, etc. are in the garage.

Skies, boots, and such are in the basement still, but rocket box is hung in the garage.

Car racks are in the garage.

Sleeping bags are in a shelf in the bedroom

Most clothing is hung in one closet or another, or in a dresser.

Backpacks are hung. Day pack is right near the door, ready to go.

Other equipment is in tubs.

My stuff (and I have a decent amount) gets tossed in a dark, disgusting, unfinished back hallway area in my house. It's also a dumping ground for other trash, unfortunately. Nothing is organized and most of my gear is hanging around or stuffed in random plastic garbage bags. There seems to be a mouse problem and my gear also appears to get urinated on. If people don't believe me, I'll take pictures and post them tonight. I don't like this situation: when I lived in Boston I had my own closet. And theoretically, this area would be ok -- it has hooks for hanging things and a light -- but it hasn't turned out that way.

-Dr. Wu

On the floor, in a spare room.

Rarely

I've got hiking, camping, skiing, sailing, and cycling stuff all pretty much in chronological order (Most recently used on top of the pile) My wife has been urging me to organize it for years.

Those pics look waaay too organized!
We basically took the whole basement of the house and turned it into the gear room. it used to be kayaking gear on one side,backpacking on the other.
Then we threw in sailing and xc skiing..and snowshoeing.

About once a year I make an attempt to organize it,and a long time ago it was nice and neat just like Mark did it. At this point I'm just happy if I find what I need somewhere in the rubble.:D

To "store" your gear sounds so civilized, and organized, that I can't say I actually "store" my gear at all. Boy, I wish I could find my crampons.... :)

I have stuff all over. :eek: Canoe, paddles, skis, and snowshoes in the (detached) garage. Treking poles and extra Deet live in the back of the subaru. Packs, raingear, water bottles, and assorted stuff in a closet in the house. Maps and trail guides in about 4 different locations. Boots in one of two closets or near either the back or front door. Clothes, hats, and gloves are never where I think I'll find them.

We live in a small house, so storage space is at an absolute premium. Since my wife hikes and skis with me, maybe I can convince her to give up her sewing closet for the cause. :D

I have so little room that I have to be organized.
I have a shed/storage space attached to my portion of the chalet and all of it lives there. I have large storage bins with locking tops and it gets organized according to activity and in some cases season. My kayak lives there, too.
If I can't find it then it isn't any good to me, so I have to be organized. Plus my apartment is about closet-sized (oh the joys of living in a resort/vacation area) so it's even more of a necessity (my furry little friend and I need as much living space as we can get). :D

My gear is "stored" in a pile in the back of my closet. I root around until I find what I need, if my daughter hasn't been there first.

The ONE time I threw stuff into the garage (also in a pile) a family of mice made a cozy home in my ski boots :mad:

I am impressed at rhe organization of your gear. Do I clean my gear? yes. My crampons are lovingly dried, sharpened and put away. The rest of it, as long as it isn't sharp ends up in the heap.
Sandy

Day of hike its a pile of stuff in my car. Day after hike its a pile of stuff in my garage. Within the week its a pile of stuff in my basement.

Repeat one week later.