How far do you drive?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 hours for the Presidentials. I just came back from the Presis. Left home at 4:30 am and got on the trail at 10 am. i would have made it in 5 hours, but realized I had nothing smaller than a twenty and had to stop and make change for the parking fee.
3.5 hours for the Adirondacks
10 minutes for the AT

I will keep making the drive until there are lines like the early 70s.

5 minute walk to the AT
15 minute drive to the nearest 4K trail head (one stop for coffee)
45 minutes to a bunch of stuff in the Whites

5 Hrs to Lincoln Woods from home, six to Appalachia... thank God that I know people on the way!!!

ADK's: 6.5 Hours
Franconia: 8.5
Catskills: 6 Hour
Bethel, ME: 11 Hours
Finger Lakes/North Country Trail: 10 - 15 min.

80mph whenever I can. If I'm traveling 350 miles the difference beween getting 18mpg and 24mpg is only 4.86 gallons. At $2.50/gal that's $12.15; $14.58 at $3.00/gal. Pocket change. Now... a recent $250 speeding ticket is way out of line. :(

And, to put it all in perspective, look at the past X years - figure that I've made 30 trips to the ADK's to complete 45 peaks. At 700mi/RT that's 21000.00 miles. At least 350 hours of travel, and figuring $1.50/gal of gas that's $1,575.00.

Wow -- I'm thinking the hour investment is more astonishing than the $$

(I'm home based outside of Buffalo, NY, and currently retain the VFFT Leather Apron! :p )

Great thread...thought about this a few times...gotta carpool with other Long Islanders..

350 to the catskills and back ... to hike 7 miles....meant for every 50 miles i drove I hiked 1 mile....i get 30 mpg ...so it cost me app $45 with gas and tolls...somehow it costs me app $7 to hike a mile....i put to much milage on my car this year..

The ADK's are further..will find out again this weekend ;)
Winter gathering in the Whites was a long long drive..but a blast! :D
Going to Acadia at the end of August....500 miles....my wife doesn't know that yet...she's going to kill me! :eek:
Hopefully will find out about Vermont in Sept. :)

3 to 4 hours to the whites.

I find myself trying to leave Boston later to avoid the traffic of everyone heading to their cottages up North.

I also find it a waste to only do one mountain. We need to get our money's worth, let's go do another.

1.5-2.5 hours to the catskills

3.5-4.5 hours to the ADKs

6-7 hours to the Whites

3.25-4.5 hours to VT (southern/ LT-Mansfield)

5-30 minutes to most places in Northern NJ :)

30-60 minutes to most hudson valley haunts (harriman, Breakneck Ridge, Schunemunk, Fahnestock, Black Rock)

60 minutes to Worthington, DWG, etc.

9 Hours to Acadia NP in Maine

I estimate about 11 hours to Baxter though I've never been there.

Denali, is about a day's flight and drive to get there
Wrangell St. Elias would be about the same.

Jay

I drive about 210-220 depending on the fairway. Mine is more of a short game with the irons.

Oh wait... ;)

Peace.

hockeycrew said:
I find myself trying to leave Boston later to avoid the traffic of everyone heading to their cottages up North.

That's one good point about the Boston area ... after about 3:00 (sometimes as early as 2:00) on a Friday the roads to get up across the NH line become a disaster. It's gotten to the point that it's not worth it, time-wise, for me to drive up the night before, because I won't get anywhere until far too late at night. Unless I take half a day off from work, of course, and that makes the cost of gas irrelevant when compared.

Catskills - 2 to 3 hours
ADK's - 4 to 5 hours
Whites - 8 hours
Appalachian Trail in NJ - 2 minutes (priceless) :p

Concord to Franconia, approx 1-1 1/4. To Crawford Notch add 20 minutes.
I'm a little spoiled though. I live 1.7 miles from work. I either walk or bike every day. It took me 9 months to put 5,000 miles on my car.

1.5 – 2 hours from the ADK High Peaks
1.5 hours from the central ADK’s
within .5 – 1 hour to southern ADK’s
20 minutes to the closest trailhead

Our travel time is usual 3:45 to 4:00 hours from Cheshire CT to Thornton NH on Friday night with only one stop for coffee. Saturday morning is anywhere from 1:10 to Pinkham to :20 for the Franconia Ridge. Sunday is the same travel time on the trip back to CT. Since I drive a Mazda Protégé, I can do the trip to NH and hike on Saturday with one tank of gas. I fill up on Sunday before heading home and that tank will last me until Friday when I fill up before heading north.

6-7 hours from the Jersey shore to Ray Brook, 2-3 times a year (approx. 350 miles). We'll then drive sometimes over an hour to a trailhead. We save a lot of change in our Gatorade containers toward gas and tolls. It helps a lot.

From a west coaster.

I usually drive 2 hrs to a trailhead. Once in a while I'll go 3 hrs.